Premium features to Un-Premium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Which 1 feature do you think should be made un-Premium?

• Can use Search

Votes: 51 44.3%
  • Can post Polls

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • Can use Private Messaging

Votes: 29 25.2%
  • Can view Who's Online

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Can view Member Profiles

Votes: 14 12.2%
  • None.

Votes: 11 9.6%

• Total voters
indra said:
I chose PM's, because I would like to PM some non-premium members sometimes.

Although I use Search (mostly the View New Threads function) and like it, I suspect that most people who start new threads without scanning even a couple pages back aren't likely to use search anyway.

Agree.

I browse a lot of message boards, and in my experience, the problem with duplicate threads isn't lack of access to a search function, but just laziness. People just don't want to spend the time and effort it takes to read a few pages back. Besides that, it would put more strain on the servers.

There are many good reasons to allow PMs for everyone. You would avoid long threads with nothing but email addresses, members would be able to fight in private instead of doing it in threads on the board, and mods could more easily contact members as someone said above.

Copy said:
I browse a lot of message boards, and in my experience, the problem with duplicate threads isn't lack of access to a search function, but just laziness. People just don't want to spend the time and effort it takes to read a few pages back.

Yes! I said it before, I'll say it again. Providing the Search function is NOT going to reduce duplicate threads! Just my 2 cents.

i've seen people post a thread where a thread on that very topic (and a rather obviously titled one at that) is on that very same page. if they can't notice something on the first page, they're not going to search.

of course this is a minority, but i think other features would be more beneficial.

Only the 'Can use Search' benefit the entire forum while the other options benefit individuals.

vaz02 said:
Only the 'Can use Search' benefit the entire forum while the other options benefit individuals.

I would have to disagree. As Copy said, it puts strain on the servers, which will make the search function slower for everyone.

The PM feature would not only benefit the mods, but the entire board, including the premium members that would have more people to PM.

As for the concern about people abusing the PM feature...well, if it happens, the evidence is right in front of you, and it would be easy to show it to a mod.

Is it possible at the moment to block another member, so that he/she cannot send you any PMs?

Last edited:
U2Man said:

Is it possible at the moment to block another member, so that he/she cannot send you any PMs?

Yes, the ignore list also blocks PMs.

I agree that making search available to non-premium probably wouldn't cut down on duplicate threads. :slant: PMs or profiles would be good.

But allowing some of these options it might deter people from subscribing to preminium :huh:

vaz02 said:
But allowing some of these options it might deter people from subscribing to preminium :huh:

Agreed. I think the search function is one of the only ones that really makes the sell for subscribing.

vaz02 said:

Only search. PMing makes the most sense, for mods, for communication, everything that's been said.

Utoo said:

Agreed. I think the search function is one of the only ones that really makes the sell for subscribing.

For me it's profiles. I rarely search, and if I had to I could use Google to search Interference. I need to be able to read profiles. However, if this was made a non-premium fuction, I'd still stay subscribed to premium because honestly $12/hr is pennies in the couch compared to how much time I spend here.

I'd probably say PM's. Just cos it seems like people that are Premium members and have this feature are more connected with each other than those who don't. A bit cliquish. It'd be nice if we all had the opprotunity to form friendships outside of the threads.

Could even open it up on a trial basis for say a month and then require members to become premium to keep using it once the month has run out. Just an idea :hmm:

AngelofHarlem01 said:
Could even open it up on a trial basis for say a month and then require members to become premium to keep using it once the month has run out. Just an idea :hmm:

I think that's an excellent idea. :up:

Personally I voted polls to unpremium'd because I regard polls as being a basic feature, not anything particularly special or exciting that might be worth paying for IMHO.

Sorry if I sound crabby and if I'm picking on specific people, but if people won't even use the Band Index in B&C to check for existing threads, I doubt they will use the search function to check for existing threads before starting a new one. This has happened recently with threads regarding The Hold Steady, The Killers, and Jet...not to mention that The Killers one was actually on the first page of the forum already anyway. If people would have simply clicked on the Band Index thread, the first thread regarding those bands was linked to the same topic that the person started a thread on.

I agree, BC. In the forums I visit, most of the duplicate threads are from premium members or people doing it to be annoying.

Plus, anyone can use Google to search Interference for free.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

Plus, anyone can use Google to search Interference for free.

Exactly, using search is a waste for us non-premium members because we can just search off of Google..

Okay, I know this isn't up on the poll, but how about deleting our own posts if somehow we messed up on something...

Like someone had of just said something and when you have just to gone post a quote about that persons post and you realize that the person had just edited something right after you did your post, you look like an idiot of posting non-sense..

You get me?

tpsglick2424 said:
Okay, I know this isn't up on the poll, but how about deleting our own posts if somehow we messed up on something...

Like someone had of just said something and when you have just to gone post a quote about that persons post and you realize that the person had just edited something right after you did your post, you look like an idiot of posting non-sense..

You get me?

There's a thread about that in this forum about two down from this. Check that.

Go PMs!

And I thought that question was never asked..:(

I think PM's with being able to block is also the best..

Allowing non-Premium members to use the "search" function would help prevent less repetitive forums being created...and the mods wouldn't have to redirect users to older forums.

2morrow said:
Allowing non-Premium members to use the "search" function would help prevent less repetitive forums being created...and the mods wouldn't have to redirect users to older forums.

Well, you as a user wouldn't probably use the function, for you are like the 15th person to say that in this thread alone.

Back
Top Bottom