Non-premium members be allowed to use PMS?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cobl04

45:33
Non-premium members be allowed to use PMs?

Just asking because I have about five or six PMs sitting there which I have not been able to open because I am not a premium member.

I understand the need to have premium members and the distinction, but surely we could read our PMs?

Thanks!

Elvis did this poll last fall:

http://forum.interference.com/t164435.html

It was decided then to not change anything. There has also been other discussion in the past of making certain premium features available to all members, with no change taking place.

I'm not the one who makes such decisions...that would be Elvis...but I've stated before that people pay for premium membership to be able to access a list of features. To suddenly have one of those benefits, which may have been a huge factor in deciding to purchase a premium membership, become free for everybody, I think that could rightfully make some premium members upset. Also, Elvis just posted yesterday that the fee for premium membership increased. I would venture to guess that after raising the fee, it's not likely that he's going to give up one of the benefits that people are paying for.

I still agree with what Canadiens said about allowing everyone to use PMs, because it is absolutely necessary for communication purposes.

I don't really check my personal e-mail because I have other means like AIM and Facebook and I have a seperate email for work.

But, I suppose, that isn't really possible now at $18.

Bonochick is correct, PMs are vital feature as part of the Premium Membership package. This wont' be changing.

^I have PM's in my box too. I think we should at least be able to read them...but its ok if we can't reply. I just don't like the temptation of wanting to read them!! :lol:

They're probably just general PMs like "happy birthday" or something, right? I don't think anyone can send you PMs if you're not a premium member.

I think those just get automatically sent to everyone.

I think you can send non-premmies a PM if they're on your buddy list and you select to do the mass PM buddies thing or whatever it is. I'm pretty sure it overrides the whole "this user cannot receive private messages" business.

Last edited:
Queen Bee said:
I think you can send non-premmies a PM if they're on your buddy list and you select to do the mass PM buddies thing or whatever it is. I'm pretty sure it overrides the whole "this user cannot receive private messages" business.

You're correct.

myusernamehere said:
Maybe put a limit of like 5 PMs for non premium so people can "clear out" what they couldn't access before.

Easier said than done, from a technical standpoint.

Is there a way you can make it so that non-premiums can only read the PM's and not respond to them?
I think it wouldn't be as annoying if you could at least read and delete the messages, and if you want to continue the conversation it can be done so through email.
It can also help the moderators in issuing warnings, especially since they don't like to discuss the warnings with the perps afterward.

i believe the issue of non-premiums being able to read the messages has already been addressed, although elvis might've just thought he meant messages in general, i dunno.

and this is not the thread to get into how you feel about mods or how they do their job. we do a fine job of contacting members when we warn them.

I'm going to give thought to how I'd make it so non-Premiums can GET PMs, but not send them.

KhanadaRhodes said:
and this is not the thread to get into how you feel about mods or how they do their job. we do a fine job of contacting members when we warn them.

:confused: I was only speaking from personal experience. Warnings aren't debatable, and most of time moderators ask that you don't reply to warnings. Nowhere did I criticize the contacting of members by moderators. It was only a suggestion to expedite warnings. I know that I don't check my email daily, so PM's are a faster way of getting your message across to all members.

Elvis said:
I'm going to give thought to how I'd make it so non-Premiums can GET PMs, but not send them.

:up:

waynetravis said:
can i echo Pla's earlier request of being able to preview a PM before its sent? :)

I believe thats already been addressed in this forum previously... it's on the list, but not a top priority.

I would actually like to be able to contact non premiums by PM.
It can be frustrating especially for mods/admins when their profiles dont have their correct email.

Sicy said:
It can be frustrating especially for mods/admins when their profiles dont have their correct email.

:yes:

No matter, I'm sending off for premium membership tomorrow morning. Don't know when it'll hit your door Elvis, but I'm taking the plunge... :cool:

Sicy said:

Just an FYI.... Members can still choose to not use PMs, and there are actually many who have their options set to this... so it wont completely help you.

If a 'PM' button doesn't show up at the bottom of their posts they're one of the folks I've mentioned.

Back
Top Bottom