Moving "Back" In the Browser

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

corianderstem

Blue Crack Distributor
Okay, so as of yesterday, I can only successfully back out of a page using the "back" browser like every other time.

It's like when you're trying to hit "back" on some site and it keeps you on the same page because there's some ad, or some weird "phantom" page when you look at the details while trying to go back.

Does that make any sense? I don't know if it's something with my computer/browser or a change with the site, but it's really pissing me off.

I live my life navigating the internet with the "back" button.

Edit: mods, should this be in the "subdomain" thread in the IB forum? I didn't know if it was related to that or not.

Perhaps it's indeed one of those redirecting sites, and if that's so, depends on what browser you use it's fixable.
I use IE(yes lame I know) and next to the back and forward buttons is a little arrow. Click that arrow and it'll show past sites, if you have one of those redirecting things, it'll show up there and you just click the 2nd in the list.

This should not be related to the subdomain change. To test, you can go to the old subdomain which will lead you to the new one then hit the back button, here is an example:

First go to Google
Then in the address bar manually type in the old URL as follows:
Go to the old URL: http://forum.interference.com
That will forward you to the new URL. Then hit the back button and you should be back at Google.

Please post your results here.

no, I've been encountering this as well, I've been trying to pay attention to when it happens but it appears to be random... I have to hit the back button a couple of times to get it to work...

It seems to happen when I have gone more than one page into a thread if that helps...

Sorry you all are experiencing issues. In order to troubleshoot this I need as much info as possible to recreate the issue and find a fix. If this happens, please type up exactly what you did before the issue happened. I need to know your browser, browser version, Windows/Mac, etc. The more details you can provide the better. Thanks for your help with this...

Dang, I was trying to do print screens of what it looks like when it's messing up, but I can't seem to save them as a picture to post here. I'll do my best to describe it.

I can't seem to find which version of IE I have, but I use Windows and have whatever version of IE came with my XP Home edition a few years ago. Here are screen shots of what normally happens. I hope they're legible.

In a normal circumstance, when I can hit "back" once and it goes back one page, if I click on the little drop-down box by the "forward" and "back" buttons, it would list:

Current Page (bolded and with a check mark)
U2 Fan Community--U2 News, U2 Tour Info
Gmail - Inbox - corianderstem

However, after reading about 10 pages of a thread in FYM, I ran into the issue again, and this is what it listed as the "back" options:

http://www.u2interference.com/forums/index.php?=
http://www.u2interference.com/forums/index.php?= (and this time, this second option is the one bolded with a check mark)
2008 US Presidential Campaign Discuss

So it's like when I'm hitting back in this case, it's keeping me on the same page instead of going to the previous "2008 US Presidential Campaign Discussion" thread.

Does that help?

I was just clicking through the site again, and even after looking at one page in a thread, it wouldn't let me go back. When I looked at the drop-down menu, there were at least FIVE of those above "addresses" before it showed the main page of Bang and Clatter.

Ridiculous.

I'm curious, is this only happening with IE? Because I use Firefox and I'm not having this problem.

I've never used any browser other than IE. I've never had this problem before with this site. The only time I've seen this before even with other sites is if there are pop-up ads of some sort involved. It won't let me just hit "back," it stays on the page.

(I guess I'm not the right one to answer that question, but I find it highly suspicious that it's only happening now that the domain stuff has changed here.)

I use IE and have not had this problem, though I have noticed an increase in 'page cannot be displayed' errors when refreshing, backing up or clicking to a new page. It only happens with Interference.

ok, it just happened...

I was on the first page of this thead and then went to the second page to read yolland's comment above.

I pressed on the back button to go back to the first page and then pressed the back button again and nothing happened - it just sat on the first page... I had to hit the back button again to return to the main forum menu.

For what it's worth, I've only noticed it happening at home, not at work, where I also have IE.

Not that I, uh .... play on Interference while I'm at work or anything.

:shifty:

Andy is almost done setting up some premium stuff and you will be able to turn off the ads so that should increase page loading time.

I pressed on the back button to go back to the first page and then pressed the back button again and nothing happened - it just sat on the first page... I had to hit the back button again to return to the main forum menu.

But couldn't you use the page number selector at the top of the page? Or the underlined forum links?

Back
Top Bottom