MERGED --> Confused? What are the rules re: censorship in this section? + Thank You-

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LCK

Acrobat
Confused? What are the rules re: censorship in this section?

I'm referring to this "Everything You Know Is Wrong" section -unsure whether to call it a thread or a forum etc. In a lower discussion/ new subject I posted called "Songs that go together", Headache in a Suitcase mentions that a post of his was deleted and I notice my reply to him was deleted as well. :confused: His post wasn't offensive or abusive, I thought it was funny and I replied back to him. Even though I'm new to this site, I moderated the entire Albums/ DVD sections over at Zootopia for nearly 2 years and I hardly ever had to delete anything. :| I can certainly understand deleting anything abusive, but I'm confused as to why a few perfectly harmless posts were taken away.

lol, I can see ppl are avoiding this disc like the plague, only a few responses despite the number of views. While speaking to the mods is not a bad idea per se, I think the fact that two completely harmless posts were deleted without explanation plus ppl's obvious unwillingness to speak their minds is a testimony to the level of censorship in this forum. I don't think I'm suited to here after all, though I had initially enjoyed my stay. Nice to have met many of you.

i'm moving this to the stuck in a moment forum, only because that's where the general forum questions go. this forum is reserved only for U2 chat. no big deal or anything, i just wanted to let you know why it was moved.

as for posts being deleted, i don't know, but maybe the server went haywire. that has happened sometimes in the past, but i'm sure one of the super mods or admins can be a better help than i have. :D

LCK, I think the reason for the low replies is not because anyone's afraid to speak their mind or anything, but because they simply do not know why it was deleted. That's why, when I first read it, I didn't make a reply. I didn't have a clue.

LCK said:
lol, I can see ppl are avoiding this disc like the plague, only a few responses despite the number of views. While speaking to the mods is not a bad idea per se, I think the fact that two completely harmless posts were deleted without explanation plus ppl's obvious unwillingness to speak their minds is a testimony to the level of censorship in this forum. I don't think I'm suited to here after all, though I had initially enjoyed my stay. Nice to have met many of you.

Its usually better to ask before you jump to conclusions or make assumptions like this.

Axver said:
LCK, I think the reason for the low replies is not because anyone's afraid to speak their mind or anything, but because they simply do not know why it was deleted.

That's the case for me. I have no idea what this is in reference to...personally, I did not delete any posts!

I would also like to remind people that while we have a great team of moderators here, we cannot be here 24/7 to immediately answer people's inquiries. People may not get responses right away, but be patient...moderators always make sure to check this forum to help out users!

Single posts RARELY get deleted here. There must have been some mistake. I personally didnt delete anything.

Can you please post the link to the thread in question so that we can investigate it further?

Bono's American Wife said:

Its usually better to ask before you jump to conclusions or make assumptions like this.

I agree.

There could have been a mistake, or possibly even an error.

LCK, can you please let Sicy know all of the details. Emailing her would probably be best.

In case anyone is wondering on this, no posts were intentionally deleted. Meaning no moderator took any of them out. As for why they were deleted it looks to be a technical error rather than censorship. If anyone edits a thread in anyway, it leaves a message regarding it by default. The thread in question had none of that so it looks like the server glitched (which unfortunately happens from time to time) and took these off.

I hope there has been no misunderstanding on this.
:slant:

In defence of LCK, there were certain sections on our old forum where posts would be deleted for seemingly no reason, while other, more abusive posts would remain. It didn't happen in every folder, but it did happen. I think her assumptions were based on previous experiences in another forum and most of us from the Zoo are still new here and not totally settled in. Heck, I was on the Zoo from November of 2001 until it just changed! (That's a long time on a forum for me, at least.) Anyway, since we are so familiar with one way of thinking, I think it is safe to assume certain things, especially being so uprooted and all... Anyway, my point is, I do not think LCK meant any harm. I think she was just looking for answers and, perhaps, not entirely sure where to go... We only had one main sysop at the Zoo... And we oft discussed these matters openly there. Granted there is not here, but we're still adjusting, IMHO, so, well, let's not jump to conclusions about LCK just because she asked a question, ok? Moreover, I didn't know this site was prone to glitches resulting in lost posts. It's good to know & I'll pass on the info.

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming... :)

Thanks dream chaser! Good points there, and this has proved an interesting question of LCK. Sicy and I both looked into this earlier but it does appear no one did this intentionally, or that it was actually 'someone' who did it. You actually brought up something kinda funny, and that is about the reliability of the forum. Most of the time it runs with no problems at all. It is very stable and copes well with the volume of traffic. Every now and then though there is a bit implosion of sorts and the funniest outcomes occur. You will know when this has happened as things like replies appearing as new threads etc pop up, or someone's reply will be posted 3 times. I find it actually quite amusing, but then I dont get out much :D
J/K hehe.

Another thing which might need mentioning is that you guys are very used to a different setup so probably most of this is new. We all need to remember that you may not know something we treat as normal. If someone does edit a post or delete a thread, the mod will either contact you about it on pm or email or leave a note in the thread itself. We try not to leave anyone in the dark about why we have done something, but always ask in here or email/pm any questions.

But back to the usual programming....:)

Thank you dream chaser for such a sensible and fair minded post in this and I think you are quite right that my conclusions here, perhaps made too hastily, are based on past experience. Once bitten, twice shy is definitely appropriate here. Without going into too much detail but perhaps providing a bit of perspective here- even though I moderated two entire sections of the Zoo I often clashed with sysop regarding partial treatment, hidden mods, and other trust issues. At one point he threatened to ban me- and I admit when he said this I publicly dared him to- for my 'outrageous conspiracy theories' which were 'undermining his credibility'. I actually apologized to him after all the dust settled, and we made a fresh start etc and I did my best to help him keep the old Zoo- only then I found out that my 'theories' (he had acted like I was some crackpot) turned out to be all true.

One of the complaints I oriiginally had was that one of the mods (this was an exception, most of the Zoo mods were great- incl dream chaser) was deleting my on-topic posts in her area simply out of malice because I had fought publicly with her over the way she used aliases to attack ppl and other issues. sysop refused to look into this abuse of moderator power and literally said 'so what?' to me regarding this issue. It turns out this same person was also an invisible GD moderator (sysop publicly declared there were none) who used her same lack of professionalism in arbitrarily deciding whose posts to delete/ allow based on her personal dealings with them. She also had an editing addition to GD (words not allowed in folder I'm guessing) and wouldn't allow others to swear- and yet she told people to fuck themselves.

Too much else to get into, I haven't done a very good job keeping this succinct I guess my online experiences have made me less trusting, maybe even a bit paranoid. And I'm sorry because I know this is likely a product of my past experiences but I can't believe a post and a reply could just spontaneously combust while the rest of the thread remains intact. I'm still going to leave but I'm sorry if I've misjudged anyone. I really, smply, honestly, just know what to believe anymore. :sad: No hard feelings I hope.

Last edited:
Angela Harlem said:
I find it actually quite amusing, but then I dont get out much :D
J/K hehe.

LOL! You don't even know how much I understand that! Here I am at 5 am making gif ani's of Bono. :D :reject: (And listening obsessively to New Wave compilations with Rock Me Amadeus on right now... :p)

Angela Harlem said:

We try not to leave anyone in the dark about why we have done something, but always ask in here or email/pm any questions.

That is definiately good to know! Excellent! lol... Yeah, I need to get out, or, um, go to bed. :ohmy: :eek:

Cheers! :bono:

I was going to reiterate that whenever anyone's posts are edited (RARE) or threads are closed or moved/deleted, the poster is always informed by a mod. Whether it be in the thread itself or through private message or email. Most situations are also discussed amoungst the mod team in private before actions are taken and there was no mention of this thread or deleting any posts.

I'm sorry the posts 'disappeared' but as now every single mod that is active right now has posted in this thread that they didnt delete them, I'd chalk it up to the forum going wiggy. It's happened before, though its not common.

LCK it seemed you were enjoying yourself here. I think its silly to leave the forum just over this one small incident. I hope you would reconsider.

I'd hate to see someone leave over an isolated forum glitch like this - I can understand wanting to get away from Zoo's posting problems as of late , but I'm guessing that this was just an isolated computer glitch, not anything personal :hug:

Last edited:
The *only* time I've ever had a post deleted here I was in touch about a really embarrassing post on Lemonade Stand. I wanted the :censored: thing out. I PMed Sicy and she deleted it for me. This usually doesn't happen except if there's a technical problem.

i'm glad to see this has been straightened out and more importantly, that i was right about it being a problem with the server! cuz that's what it's all about: me being right. :D

seriously though, LCK, i really do hope you stay here and know that there are no hard feelings or anything. :wave:

Thank You- Most of You Play Fair :)

Except dream chaser of course :wink: She lured me back in here with promises of kitty stories (so where is it Mel? *taps foot impatiently*) I can't resist kids or kitties. But thank you to everyone else for the replies in here and via email explaining things to me and asking me to stay. I'm sorry if my past experiences on another website made me treat you as guilty until proven innocent. Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom