Just a question..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AdamsMango

War Child
Freer than a bird 'Cause we're rockin' Ohio
:shrug:
I think it is kind of absurd that mods have to close down the posts where some one is saying bad things about U2. We are, for the most part, mature people. Can't we simply ignore these posts? I have seen SOOO many closed posts in the past couple days or so. There are people who don't like U2 who will come here. Big deal. Why do people have to respond to it saying "you're stupid" or anything? It's sad we have to sink to the level to close the posts. I always liked this board because it wasn't so censored you couldnt say anything..but not totally smutty. I just don't like the closing of posts as much as it's been happening. Just wondered if i am alone in thinking this. I don't mean any disrespect to the mods. i am grateful to you guys. this was just a thought.

Very well put... I'm puzzled as to the censorship issue. It seems that you need to conform to a certain set of standards here, and any deviation from them will close a thread. The key to success... try not to associate yourself with the wrong crowd, and make sure not to voice a relevant opinion... that would be madness, pure and utter madness.

I just wish I had read the interference manual before I signed on...

Last edited:
think it is kind of absurd that people have to come to a U2 forum to post shit about U2

we could ignore everything I guess,
but I'm not planning on doing so

:shrug: I must be pretty oblivious. But I don't go to ETYKIW very often these days to notice all the closed threads.

cujo said:
Very well put... I'm puzzled as to the censorship issue. It seems that you need to conform to a certain set of standards here, and any deviation from them will close a thread.

Who ever said this place was a democracy? This is a private site, run by a private person. Elvis and the mods who volunteer to run this site want this board to be free of garbage like the thread in EYKIW that you are refering to.

It is one thing to have a logical debate about an album or song. It is clearly another to have childish garbage posted by someone who can't conduct themselves in a mature manner.

daisybean said:

Who ever said this place was a democracy? This is a private site, run by a private person. Elvis and the mods who volunteer to run this site want this board to be free of garbage like the thread in EYKIW that you are refering to.

It is one thing to have a logical debate about an album or song. It is clearly another to have childish garbage posted by someone who can't conduct themselves in a mature manner.

Well said!

daisybean said:

true..but it doesn't rid the board of people like that..they say something dumb..then some people from the board come back say something else dumb..and it gets closed down..then it repeats. I think simply ignoring them would make them go away faster! :der:

As Salome said, I too think it's pretty much a waste of time and energy to sign up for membership at a U2 based forum but then end up talking trash about U2. In defense for the mods though, Daisybean is absolutely right. I'm also actually quite happy that they are there to close the threads when and if they see appropriate. Please understand they are not trying to be the newest communist plot. They are just trying to squash arguments and fights before they get too far and cause hurt and resentment. Some mods here even hate having to close threads... but sometimes they just gotta. Yes, people have a right to their own opinions and to even post them (appropriately). But at the same time everyone also has the right to come here and be with friends while not having to be harrassed.

AdamsMango said:
true..but it doesn't rid the board of people like that..they say something dumb..then some people from the board come back say something else dumb..and it gets closed down..then it repeats. I think simply ignoring them would make them go away faster! :der:

Thats true, but sometimes that doesn't wor either :shrug:

good question....unfortunately, people here are easily baited...they love the arguement. The trolls that like to post garbage do it because they know they will get a reaction. There will always be at least one person who will return in kind....it's better to close a thread before it turns into a complete train wreck, then to just say "well maybe, everyone will ignore it" because we all know they can't/won't.

cujo said:
Very well put... I'm puzzled as to the censorship issue. It seems that you need to conform to a certain set of standards here, and any deviation from them will close a thread. The key to success... try not to associate yourself with the wrong crowd, and make sure not to voice a relevant opinion... that would be madness, pure and utter madness.

I just wish I had read the interference manual before I signed on...

This isn't a small town where you have to live here and deal with the people. This is a voluntary association of people. If you don't like what you read in the manual now that you're here, you are free to disassociate yourself with the group. "Relevant opinions" is a good euphemism for "saying shit to piss people off on purpose." There is no "wrong crowd" here, there are only people who know how to keep things appropriate, and people who don't. Feel free to "deviate" elsewhere if you don't want to play by the rules of a voluntary association of people.

This whining about Interference really pisses me off! If you don't like it, you can leave! It's not a gulag!

martha said:
This whining about Interference really pisses me off! If you don't like it, you can leave! It's not a gulag!

Exactly. I'm sick and fucking tired of people bitching about closed threads. I assume AdamsMango is talking about the most recent one in EYKIW by megadrum2002. This thread was complete shit. What valid reason can you possibly have for keeping this thread open? Go ahead and search megadrum's posts. Do you think he's a U2 fan? Should we just let trolls shit all over the board?

Wake up. People will not ignore posts like this. There are hundreds of loyal fans here that will not sit back and let crap like this be posted. You think its just going to go away by itself? :rolleyes:

I'm tired of being questioned. I'm tired of people screaming censorship. Its ridiculous. How can you call closing a thread that is solely posted to bash U2 censorship? What kind of fans are you? I've been running this board with Elvis for 2 years now.. I think I know what I'm doing. If you want to go post at an out of control board with no mods and shit threads all over the place, be my guest.

Sicy said:

Exactly. I'm sick and fucking tired of people bitching about closed threads. I assume AdamsMango is talking about the most recent one in EYKIW by megadrum2002. This thread was complete shit. What valid reason can you possibly have for keeping this thread open? Go ahead and search megadrum's posts. Do you think he's a U2 fan? Should we just let trolls shit all over the board?

Wake up. People will not ignore posts like this. There are hundreds of loyal fans here that will not sit back and let crap like this be posted. You think its just going to go away by itself? :rolleyes:

I'm tired of being questioned. I'm tired of people screaming censorship. Its ridiculous. How can you call closing a thread that is solely posted to bash U2 censorship? What kind of fans are you? I've been running this board with Elvis for 2 years now.. I think I know what I'm doing. If you want to go post at an out of control board with no mods and shit threads all over the place, be my guest.

As a moderator myself, I echo this statement wholeheartedly.

We don't enjoy closing threads, but when people purposely post things that they know will cause a controversy, we will do what we feel is appropriate. It's not about censorship; it's about respecting others and what we all are here to discuss in the first place, U2.

AdamsMango said:

I think simply ignoring them would make them go away faster! :der:

Sorry, but this is not what happens most of the time. If you let the kind of thread you are referring to go unchecked...it will not go away...it will grow and grow and grow until people are calling each other nasty names and using personal insults.

When you put up a thread as bait, someone will always respond.

The mods are doing a great job and instead of questioning every move they make and complaining about the rules, go to an unmoderated board and see the difference.

Closing a pointless thread is not censorship.

This is not directed at anyone in particular but I get so sick of people complaining about Interference...if there is so much wrong about the way things are run here, why come back?

We're lucky to be in a well-moderated community. One of the things that is the most annoying at the Ryan Adams board is that all kinds of shit goes on there, and nobody ever seems to do anything about it. Sure, there have been a couple incidents where a member has been banned. The problem is, all you need to log into that board is an email address...no password even!! So they block that person's email address...and that person can just enter a different email address and have free range of the board.

That means a lot of crap goes on there that is really annoying sometimes. Also, I had problems with my account there, and I had nobody to contact for help. I finally had to just ditch that account and start over, losing my original username. That is completely opposite of this place where we have a whole bunch of people to contact for quick results with every problem.

We should be happy and appreciative that we have such a nice community here.

martha said:

This isn't a small town where you have to live here and deal with the people. This is a voluntary association of people. If you don't like what you read in the manual now that you're here, you are free to disassociate yourself with the group. "Relevant opinions" is a good euphemism for "saying shit to piss people off on purpose." There is no "wrong crowd" here, there are only people who know how to keep things appropriate, and people who don't. Feel free to "deviate" elsewhere if you don't want to play by the rules of a voluntary association of people.

Not to beat a dead horse, but that's what I'm good at... thanks for putting words in my mouth. It's nice to see that blatant sarcasm is so difficult to decode. I have nothing against the organization or moderation of the system, but there is a lot of contradiction here... when you say that "I'm free to dissociate myself from the group" that's fine... but by the same token, those who don't necessarily agree with something can "dissociate themselves from a thread"... ignore it. I know that ignoring here works really well. On the other hand I do agree with closing threads that may cause personal offense, like those pertaining to religion or politics... even those with flagrant U2 bashing... the threads I was referring to were those in LS... I question those types of decisions, but I don't question the positions of the mods... if they were gone you'd have pricks like me posting like crazy. Something I'm sure no one would appreciate.

cujo said:
there is a lot of contradiction here... when you say that "I'm free to dissociate myself from the group" that's fine... but by the same token, those who don't necessarily agree with something can "dissociate themselves from a thread"... ignore it. I know that ignoring here works really well. On the other hand I do agree with closing threads that may cause personal offense, like those pertaining to religion or politics... even those with flagrant U2 bashing... the threads I was referring to were those in LS... I question those types of decisions, but I don't question the positions of the mods... if they were gone you'd have pricks like me posting like crazy. Something I'm sure no one would appreciate.
all right. indeed, disassociating yourself from the group is fine. but you know, i'm just getting so sick and tired of people thinking the rest of interference should just ignore some thread. this is an open forum (well, at least to its members and to non-members to a lesser degree) where people can and should read any post you want.

but let me clarify. i don't necessarily mean post, sometimes restraint needs to be shown. for example, i don't like coldplay. if i see some coldplay thread going on in bang and clatter, i'm not going to read it, fume, and post about how much they suck.

however, this is a U2 forum. everyone's here on assumption we all have one common thread: being U2 fans. so there should be no "i hate U2" threads. criticism threads (like saying a certain album or song sucks) are different, but a flat-out dislike of U2 shows obviously the person was severely misled into what this forum was about, or is just being an annoying troll. i would never join a coldplay forum to make sure they all knew i hated coldplay!

to be honest with you, i'm not sure what LS threads you're referring to. since so few threads are closed here, and since i don't mod that, i don't have a good memory with the forum, and probably didn't even read the threads!

He's whining about that one cliquey thread of Elvis Presley's that I closed that was just singling people out. I even thought I was extremely reasonable and diplomatic in the closing post but no of course that's not good enough.

When people complain to me about certain threads, if I get more than one complaint, I need to make the decision to close the thread. cujo and others dont seem to understand this nor knows what goes on behind the scenes. They are quick to judge the actions of the moderators without knowing the entire story in most cases.

oh. jesus. i wish people would privately contact whoever closed the thread (or one of the mods of the forum if no mod made a "i'm closing this thread" post) to find out the reasons why instead of accusing people of being evil dictators.

cujo said:
I have nothing against the organization or moderation of the system, but there is a lot of contradiction here...

To me, what you just said there was a contradiction in itself. Kind of like saying "I like the mods, but I question each and every action they take." Asking us why we closed a thread is one thing, but posting another thread about why threads get closed is too much. There is no Interference handbook, and if there were it would basically state: post with common sense, decency, and accuracy. Things that go horrifically bad from those things tend to get closed. There are also expectations that go for each forum.

Originally posted by Cleasai Some mods here even hate having to close threads... but sometimes they just gotta.

Good point. We don't go around with our fingers hovering over the "close" buttons. Often, leaving a thread open will cause as much uproar as closing one, but it still needs to be closed. More often, mods get PM's or reported post emails and that is why the thread is closed - not because we don't like it necessarily, but because other users don't like it.

It may look like we have different perogatives to people posting in the threads, but there is a lot that goes on before a thread closes, despite what people may think.

AdamsMango, regarding your specific point about the number of thread closures, broadly speaking there's 2 things that happen for a thread to be closed. It can be either or both of these. One, is the thread simply deteriorates to the stage where it wont get back on track and it is nothing more than hotly worded responses. Two, a few complaints have been made specifically about it. This is through either pm, email or 'report to moderator' function. Sometimes both of these will occur with a specific thread. If that's the case, closure is imminent. As it stands, personally I'd say about 50% of threads I close are not due to my own opinions, but because people have said they are offended/insulted/whatever. I may not like something, but will try to see if this is a broadly shared opinion in the thread. I think all mods here do try to not use their ability to close on things simply because they may not like it.
Closures are more in control of the vast majority of users here than people may realise. Understandably some of you may think we make all these decisions based on our own thoughts. It comes into it, sure. But a lot of the time, we are acting on others' behalf. I'd also like to note, that feedback about threads is not always behind the scenes. You only have to read some, to see how annoyed some are, or offended or whatever. If you see enough of that in a thread, its time to question its merit in remaining open.

hmm, I just close threads when I don't like the person who started it or when I'm just in a shitty mood

angie's approach doesn't sound too bad either though

All the threads the mods closed, there was good reason and they did the right thing. Would anyone want U2 to come here and read some of the rude bullshit some people, or trolls post and think we, their fans agree with it? There is NO purpose for a thread to continue when it's only a pile of garbage with people dumping on the band, and each other!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom