Interference Plebiscite: Abdicate or Mediate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
martha said:
And while I do understand that questioning and wondering make for a free and open society, in this case it's redundant and petty.

Most definitely. I don't think there was any disagreement there. This thread had many shortcomings, and had it remained in Lemonade Stand I think the outcome would have been much different.

Of course there's an element of tactic involved Joel. You yourself have a method too, which I'm sure you'll deny because it's on a need to know basis.

:sexywink:

I'll just lean on martha again for her summary, because it's fitting. In the end this does not matter in the least, and neither does any other thread. But that does not absolve the site of having a certain obligation to its members... that's all I'm after. A red snapper would be nice too, once and a while.

Everyone else has abdicated, so smell you folks later.

Last edited:
Agreed.

I've still got this "Happy Birthday!!" PM from Elvis in my inbox. Talk about tactic, I can't even open the bloody thing.

:sexywink:

Elvis: were there not MP3s for days posted, and various people even shared their emails and hosted them? Were they not hunted down? Wouldn't there be threads all over saying "I can't host it anymore"?
"once it's out there it's out there", as you said when I asked about "all because of you" MP3 for exactly the same reason.

NO ONE is saying anyone is lying about this, like said over and over again, we're simply asking questions. Some believe, some doubt and some of us aren't sure either way.

Martha: since we're all equal - members, I mean - I don't think anyone (you) will tell anyone else (me) me to stop asking. By all means, stop posting yourself it this issue bothers you so much.

Last edited:
U2girl said:
Elvis: were there not MP3s for days posted, and various people even shared their emails and hosted them? Were they not hunted down? Wouldn't there be threads all over saying "I can't host it anymore"?
"once it's out there it's out there", as you said when I asked about "all because of you" MP3 for exactly the same reason.

I'm not sure where you've been but many of the people who hosted the spanish leaks were contacted and told to take them down. Never mind the Vertigo fiasco. I know of at least 1 site that had a major problem. Can you make a list of the sites that are still hosting any of the clips? It would be interesting to see who escaped the wrath of the RIAA or its equivalent in various countries.

Although maybe you shouldn't because they might not be hosting them for long after.

(No one can do anything about sending clips by email or sharing via messenger.)

Elvis said:

3) They are to everyone but myself and a FEW staff members.

I was also wondering why some are told and some are not, and mostly why the newest 'staff' member, the one who wasn't even an interference member who seemed to come from nowhere to the top, suddenly get privvy to this info over more long term members and mods, if that's too nosey, you don't have to answer, but it bugs me.

6) Their privacy, and really... it's no one's business. I dont go and tell everyone what each person's REAL NAME is just because I know it, do I?

Of course not, but this is different, they are the subject matter here, and there have been many threads where people were questioning if the band read or posted here, and most often most of us ended up believeing that while they probably did check in from time to time they were not that active, and certainly not among us. I just think that if they are among us very often, it would have been nice to know, not to reveal their names but just to alert us so we would be aware, that's only fair to the rest of us posting. Some of the stuff posted here, especially in EYKIW and PLEBA, has been embarrassing, some stuff I even thought would hurt their feelings. Most people would probably have been more careful with their posts if they knew a band member or their family members were here. Now I'm so freaked out I'm going to have to wonder if someone I think is a 16 year old American girl is actually Adam, or Ali, or the office worker from SanFran is really Morleigh, or even Bono :uhoh: Our community will never be the same knowing this:scream:

Thanks for taking the time to answer the questions.

so basically
the main reason why I should believe this is Edge is still because I trust Joel

hmm

Elvis said:

The RIAA does 'patrol' forums like this one, thats how they find out about the leaks.

I thought that was happening, and it bothers me that some people blame the band. I'm not talking about people here, I mean people I know, they said, 'well if U2 is going to be like that and shut down people's sites I'm not going to buy their cd' :( but it's NOT the band, they didn't care (as Dalkey posted) it's the RIAA and they do it to all bands, not just U2. I tried to tell this to the people, and how the band has never been that way and has even been pro napster.

ive been watching this thread for a few days now. and i will just spit out what ive been thinking. soon enough, people, it will be proven once and for all who our mysterious edge is. this caper wont be going on forever.

watch this space i spose.
:shrug:

I was also wondering why some are told and some are not, and mostly why the newest 'staff' member, the one who wasn't even an interference member who seemed to come from nowhere to the top, suddenly get privvy to this info over more long term members and mods, if that's too nosey, you don't have to answer, but it bugs m

actually I came from Canada if your refering to me LOL as I am the newest staff member.I go out an get info and or am given info to do my job with the "Zine" don't forget that Joel has a whole team with him all with different responsibilities and all who bring different things to the fold. Now why you would think members and Mods should have such info is beyond me.The majority of time I am privy to info because I worked to get it and that info is only used to help the zine and this site it's not public info no matter how long you have been a member..

Now I'm sure you'd like to wait for Joels response..

Cheers

I don't see why Elvis or staff should say who is official and who is not.

But I don't understand why the Dalkey speculation was shut down. No one was asking for official confirmation, they were speculating amongst themselves. I don't agree with those threads being closed. I thought the detective work was quite interesting actually.

katey[/i] [B]The majority of time I am privy to info because I worked to get it [/B][/QUOTE] But WHY YOU? I don't get it when we had so many qualified people here all along. Oh never mind. I'm just gonna get told noyb. [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Tip Top Prince said:
I don't see why Elvis or staff should say who is official and who is not.

I don't mean reveal them by name!!!! I only mean admit and let us know that there are some here and among us so we'd know (before now) :sigh:

Oh well I'd better shut up now ;) :censored:

Last edited:
Well, when we all meet U2 on the next tour, we can ask Edge ourselves how he likes posting on Interference as himself. That should solve the mystery once and for all. :wink:

Here's what I do know - Joel has met and interacted with U2. And I don't mean at some concert or outside their hotel. ;) He knows U2.

Interference, mostly because of this forum, is one of the biggest U2 fan sites. Joel's connections allowed him to have the "Discotheque" release way back in late '96, which is what really pushed Interference into the limelight in terms of a fan site.

In the old WIRE days, it was a known fact that U2 - including the band members - knew of WIRE. I know for a fact that people involved in U2 read WIRE frequently. I also know that my own posts were read and even approved of by those associated with the band!! :ohmy: Additionally, Bono openly acknowledged WIRE in concert. All four U2 members and Paul McGuinness signed the WIRE banner that followed U2 in concert (until it was stolen or lost).

So if U2 were so well aware of WIRE, it isn't any stretch of the imagination that they would also be well aware of Interference, especially these forums. It's the best way to tap into fan responses. It also wouldn't surprise me that U2 or those in the U2 organization read and write on these boards.

The fact that Edge is *finally* writing as himself shouldn't be too hard for people to imagine. Michael Stipe used to write on the R.E.M. boards as himself way back in the mid-90's! I'm actually surprised it took so long to have a band member post as himself. :wink:

Now, all of that said - does this in an of itself prove that the one posting as "The Edge" is really The Edge? No. And unfortunately, it is really tough to prove this - unless we are at Edge's house watching him type in the forums on his computer. :lol: So for now, we have to accept that this is real. If it isn't, Joel has a lot to lose and I don't think he's of the inclination to throw away years of hard work. :D

All,

This is breaking my heart, it really is. I honestly hope you believe that - even if so many things are hard to believe these days. But I want to makes things right again because I really do believe all of us want a resolution that we all can live with. I love my work for Interference way too much, and I love all of you way too much to let this blow this boat up.

I realize alot of you are upset, and for many different reasons. But we can't all just keep throwing mud forever, because that just makes it worse. There has to come a time when we can lay down our arms and just listen to what each other has to say. It's not right and it's not fair to all of our emotions to keep at it like this. It's only making each of us more irritated and more hurt.

I would like to believe we can fix these issues. I'm not trying to sweep anything under the rug - that's not my style. I am an honest, hardworking person. You can look at Interference.com if you want to see my and the rest of the Staff's hard work. We do it all for you.

I want to resolve this, and it's come to a very big juncture. We can't keep going at each other like this. Feelings are hurt, emotions are high, and we need to end this now. We need to resolve this as soon as possible. So to that end, let's all lay out what it would take to make everyone happy. I really mean this.

HA makes a great point. Tell us what you want--and be specific. I know she, and all of us on the team, wants to make your experience here as good as it can be.

But WHY YOU? I don't get it when we had so many qualified people here all along. Oh never mind. I'm just gonna get told noyb.

it's not noyb... I dont have the answer as to why me other then I am PR girl in my background so when asked ..I took that role and all it encompasses and it's been a huge pleasure for me from day one..still is

ohh and I'm really not all that new..maybe just by the date I registered...but I'm familiar with Interference before then

Last edited:
Wow, see what I miss when I only stick to certain forums? Okay, I'd like to reiterate what my fellow staffers have said regarding this whole Edge thing, it is completely self-destructive for us to make any of this up. I have worked hard on this site for nearly two years, making contacts, getting interviews, doing whatever it takes to get Interference.com taken seriously as a media outlet but U2 and all related organizations. Katey, HelloAngel and the rest of the senior staff have put in the same amount of work toward the same end. So why would we want to flush all that down the toilet by publishing two fake interviews and impersonating a member of U2 on the site? It doesn't make any sense.

Regarding the Dalkey discussions, everyone on this board is incognito, that is the beauty of the Internet, you can say what you'd like and have a certain distance and anonymity. Some of us choose to come out from behind that by posting our real names (like myself and certain of our writers), making friends with people on the board in real life, and so on. But that is our choice and it is not right for any one person on the board to decide when and if we should reveal our true identities to anyone. If Dalkey Beach, or any of our other members, decides to list all of their particulars for the world to see, that will be their decision and their decision alone. That is why these discussions have been closed because none of the mods or staffers have the right to out anyone on this board. Those of you who are asking for us to share Dalkey's identity, how would you like it if we did that to all our members? Trust me, it would suck, and it would ruin a lot of what we have going on here.

Maybe my response will satisfy some of you and maybe it won't, I just didn't want to leave my girls in here swinging on their own. And Katey, as soon as I have the money, I will get ponies for all of us ;)

its sad that what this site has become, and the music the band have created and the road they are about to take us down, cannot simply be enjoyed.

i dont know why. this site has such great potential to unite.
seems that sometimes it divides.

i dont know why. this site has such great potential to unite. seems that sometimes it divides
exactly and we don't want it to do that..to divide . Speaking personally and I think the rest of the team feels like this to, if there's somthing you want to say then get it out .. everything out on the table and opening up the lines of communication this is the chance.

Maybe we or I am just missing just exactly what the problem is but if we dont know we cant answer it or try and solve it..I do know provoking people just puts them into a defensive mode and solves nothing..

We will be open and honest with whatever you ask us and tell you everything we can really..

I'd also like to ask if it comes to having a personal problem with one person or another..then please that should be be done in private ..But if it is a matter of this site/zine/staff/forum etc.. by all means get it out in the open if thats gonna help you..

Last edited:
Tip Top Prince said:

But I don't understand why the Dalkey speculation was shut down. No one was asking for official confirmation, they were speculating amongst themselves. I don't agree with those threads being closed. I thought the detective work was quite interesting actually.

I'll quote my original message, as the answer seems to have missed the point.

Specifically, speculation amongst some members was SHUT DOWN. In the thread I was reading, no-one was asking for official confirmation (outing). Yet a moderator came in and said (paraphrasing) "The speculation is no good" and closed the thread.

(edit to fix typo)

Last edited:
HelloAngel said:
I realize alot of you are upset, and for many different reasons. But we can't all just keep throwing mud forever, because that just makes it worse.
Iit seems that no one has even the slightest notion of why I might be upset otherwise at least one person would have at least attempted to explain some stuff to me by now

I have seen the word "communication" come up a few times in this thread and all that leaves me to do is scratch my head really
just repeating that you're not really going to tell anything doesn't equal to open communication
poor communication would be an improvement at this point

I think most people would just like to know if there's any real reason to believe this is edge or that dalkey is edge or that I am adam clayton so that we won't have to deal with some excuses like "oh, but we really thought this was edge, yes, really, we have been wronged" should it turn out that someone is just bullshitting all/some of us

if that is being interpreted as a lack of trust then so be it
I don't think I can be banned for a lack of trust just yet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom