Get the games out of Bang and Clatter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sicy said:
I actually agree with that last point and I have considered re-opening the spot the difference thread as I dont feel its as much of a 'game thread' as some of the other just post a word or letter game.. those games annoy me.

Yeah, I actually thought that the spot the difference thread was cool...better than just the word game threads.

I don't see why people would be so pissed about a completely seperate Games Forum? No offence but are they really going to say "How DARE they give us our own forum to do this when I want to put it in the middle of a forum full of musical discussion?!"

Surely it makes sense to keep them all tidied up in one area, and in my opinion it would make the place look tidier! :huh:

I'm just wondering--What are the arguments against putting the games in a separate game forum? Why would people be mad about that? Perhaps it's been explained before, but if someone could explain that again, that would be great. As someone who supports a games only forum, I'd like to better understand why there would be opposition to it. :)

Personally, I feel we have too many forums as it is. There are already 3 subforums in LS. Making a seperate forum for games/chat would be difficult to moderate as people would constantly be arguing whether or not the thread is a 'chat' or 'game' thread and where it actually belongs, as threads derail all the time and turn into simple chatting back and forth. I can see that lots of times it may be a fine line to which forum it belongs in. Plus I feel like LS would end up being a ghost town with not many topics left to be posted there. Also, some have said that having all the game/chat threads in one forum would take away the 'fun' or something to that effect.

Also.. I cant see moving every single game thread from every forum, all into one forum. So the forum would be mixed up with music games, food games, word games, U2 games, etc. ?

I dont know maybe we need a new poll or something.

HeartlandGirl said:
I'm just wondering--What are the arguments against putting the games in a separate game forum? Why would people be mad about that? Perhaps it's been explained before, but if someone could explain that again, that would be great. As someone who supports a games only forum, I'd like to better understand why there would be opposition to it. :)

'Cause I don't wanna have to scroll through a bunch of food, and other chat threads to get to the music game threads, damn it! Scrolling is hard. :grumpy:

:D

I'd rather see a seperate forum for them than to shut them down totally, but I still can't quite figure what will be in LS without all the chat stuff. I don't really participate in most of the chat/game threads, except in B&C, so where they reside really has no direct bearing on me. I do actually like the music games in B&C though.

Why? Well it's kinda like when the "Bono on Jesus" thread was moved from FYM to the Goal is the Soul...once it got moved to that other forum, it has a different feel, not really one that's welcoming unless you are a believer. The music game/list threads can be interesting because they are frequented by those actually interested in music, not just general chat (which is fine, but isn't all that interesting to me). I fear being put into a games/chat only forum would kill off any interesting posts, because then they would only be frequented by people interested in games not music.

I know that several have posted "what's so interesting about posting the name of a group or musician that begins with the letter G?" comments...well, I know I have thought of say, Peter Gabriel, and it triggers "hey, I love that guy, I think I'll listen to some of his stuff!" and so I do. And that has as much value to me as the "The Decemberists are going to be on Conan tonight" (which was a thread I liked and posted in). And then the name game might trigger me to look into the Style Council next, so the value can continue. :shrug:

Oh, and one more thing... I'll live no matter what the decision on this is. I have opinions on it, so I'm posting, but if it doesn't go the way I'd like I won't be pissed off at any of you. :) (How's that for sucking up? :wink: )

* edited because I still can't spell shrug the first time out. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Well, at least it doesn't sound like anyone would get "mad" about it, per se. I can definitely understand the downsides, though.

Maybe it's still worth a try for a while, like the singles/dating forum. If it doesn't work, things can change back and we're all wiser for it. Perhaps if a subforum is made in LS for games, then we could get rid of the celebrity forum and let people talk about that in LS general again, like it used to be. I realize people are worried about what will be left in LS if the games are gone. To me, I think the games kinda killed the other discussions that used to happen in there. Maybe LS would be revitalized by moving the games, rather than become a graveyard. I can only speak for myself, but when the forum became games/chat oriented, I stopped reading it and posting in it as often.

There are no easy solutions, obviously, but I thank the mods for taking the suggestions into consideration.

Last edited:
simon sez go play in traffic

Bonochick said:

Yeah, I actually thought that the spot the difference thread was cool...better than just the word game threads.

What is currently frustrating me is the "I think its cool, so we won't take the hardlined stance that it is a game thread, and we have too many."

I started a game thread ("simon sez") and it wasn't even given the CHANCE to be cool. It was closed even before it could be cool.

IF you (mods) are going to say "no more game threads" - THEN have no more game threads...despite what your opinion of a thread may be.

This would be the only fair thing to do.

I didnt really consider that one a 'game' thread. I dont see that thread carrying on for 500 replies then :lock: then 500 replies then :lock: etc. At least it is creative and requires some thought.

Like I said .. no one is EVER GOING TO BE HAPPY so this thread should just be closed :angry:

Sicy said:

Like I said .. no one is EVER GOING TO BE HAPPY so this thread should just be closed :angry:

Actually... this is my current favorite thread. :D

I know, I know, I'm a sick puppy.... :reject:

That would make for my first locked thread... :ohmy:

But seriously, I think there has been some important discussion in here. There is no way to please everyone, but at least people have been able to come in here and feel that their suggestions are heard and being taken into consideration. I'd like for it to stay open a while longer. Even if there is no good compromise, maybe this thread will let people express what options they prefer, and the mods can try to make the most people happy.

Last edited:
indra said:
I fear being put into a games/chat only forum would kill off any interesting posts, because then they would only be frequented by people interested in games not music.
THIS, i believe, is the reason for the original post.

lmjhitman said:

THIS, i believe, is the reason for the original post.

No, I'm pretty sure Heartland Girl wants musical games threads out of B&C. I want them to remain in there. Big difference.

Now I know some will say "well, the people who post in B&C game threads don't post in the rest of B&C." That may be true, but it's entirely possible that many of the people posting in the game threads are getting their feet wet in the forum or are intimidated by those who only want serious discussions on music.
Actually I had some decent discussions (on music) in the band name game/song title games spurred by the various names with people.

I guess I still can't quite get past the idea that if you want different threads than what are currently in B&C start them and keep them going. If others like them too, they will stay on the first or second page.

indra said:
No, I'm pretty sure Heartland Girl wants musical games threads out of B&C.

:yes: what i meant was that the games threads are killing the (look out! value judgement!) interesting posts in bang & clatter, making it LESS of a place for music discussion.

I want them to remain in there. Big difference.

this makes me sad. :(

As far as B&C is concerned...I have put a lot of time into creating the Band Index to help out there. I realize people still aren't happy with how B&C is, but just remember that the mods have worked to try to at least improve the situation that so many people complain about. It's not like we've done nothing...and I realize that we haven't been accused of that, but, as Sicy said, it really is a no-win situation. We're just trying to make it as good as we can to please as many people as we can.

pax said:
The only way a separate forum will work is if we all agree that LS is going to be PURELY for SPECIFIC threads about SPECIFIC subjects. That means that Randoooom/Testje/Octagon Bar threads all go to the new forum, as well as the "Alan Jamison" threads, the deathy/basstrap/"X"-crowd-style threads, the game threads, and probably even the Interferencer picture thread. Don't try to convince me that the "X"-crowd threads are anything more than glorified chat threads, either. :sexywink: They're not stunning, insightful, postmodern works of art. They're chat threads. Nothing wrong with that. But don't try to make it more than what it is. The Octagon Bar, too, is a chat thread, despite the fact that we make intermittent attempts to sustain a "bar" theme. Again, nothing wrong with that.

I would actually disagree here. If people want to write a series of strange threads in LS, then that's fine. But, frankly, I'm tired of LS being nothing more than a forum for post whores.

Trust me. The "'X' crowd" would see a bunch of lock icons if they ever tried to pull the stunts that I see in LS, so there is a difference.

Perhaps the Octagon Bar can be its own forum, and that can be where all the various 500 post threads can go. It would frankly make more cohesive sense than to try and lump it all in one gigantic thread that no one can remotely comprehend after the first 20 pages.

Melon

Maybe, Melon, people post in the "500" threads because they like the community and have fun, and not because they're postwhoring.

The way you and some other people are approaching this issue makes it out like LS is some sacred, wondrous forum that was once the discussion board equivalent of the Sistine Chapel and has been turned into a Wal-Mart. I've been posting here for going on four years, and I don't remember LS EVER being without some silly or pointless threads.

It's certainly not a case of the Sistine Chapel becoming a Wal-Mart, but the overall feel of the forum has certainly changed, and many would say, degraded, as a result of the growing number of chat/game threads. And not just LS, but other forums as well.

And I'm curious as to where the name 'X-Crowd' came from.

HeartlandGirl said:
It's certainly not a case of the Sistine Chapel becoming a Wal-Mart, but the overall feel of the forum has certainly changed, and many would say, degraded, as a result of the growing number of chat/game threads. And not just LS, but other forums as well.

And I'm curious as to where the name 'X-Crowd' came from.

I agree with you to an extent, HG. The feel of the forum has certainly changed. But I think it has to do with an overall lack of respect, attention-seeking, and simple ignorance that does it, not game/chat threads in and of themselves.

We can't pretend that we somehow have a "right" to a forum that exists in a pristine, supremely intelligent form 24/7. There will always be some silliness, some pointlessness, as I said. Ultimately we're all free to go elsewhere, as some folks have, including myself from time to time.

I agree with closing down threads that have become completely pointless, threads that degenerate into rudeness, unkindness, etc. But post-whoring isn't against the rules, and it doesn't really hurt anyone; furthermore, what seems like "postwhoring" to one person may simply be a lot of posts in one thread to another. Who's going to uphold that kind of standard? The mods here don't have time and shouldn't have to. God forbid we start asking the mods to differentiate between "chatting," "playing a game," and "postwhoring." They'd lose their minds. It shouldn't be expected of them.

People here at Interference should, I think, expect a respectful environment free of harassment and cruelty. But I don't think anyone can expect to never be annoyed.

I'm not at liberty to speak about the "X crowd," I don't think.

:wink:

lmjhitman said:

:yes: what i meant was that the games threads are killing the (look out! value judgement!) interesting posts in bang & clatter, making it LESS of a place for music discussion.

this makes me sad. :(

Why? Why does what I like make you sad? Is it that you now think I'm stupid because I like some of the music game threads? :shrug:

I have had as many discussions in Now Playing or song title threads as I have in other music threads, because the people in there are interested in discussing what they are listening to. Usually I can find some song to comment on or discuss in one of the chain threads, whereas I might find none of the single band threads interesting at all in a particular timeframe. I think what you get out of any thread in that forum is what you are willing to put into it.

I can be as inspired by reading the title of a long forgotten song as I am by a complete album review. Just depends on my mood at the time.

Bonochick said:

see it's a shame that good game threads are being closed because other game threads (the lame name game threads) were created first

i still havent seen a valid reason why a forum for games/chat threads couldnt be created. the only reason against it i have seen has been there are too many forums already. well i think it was about time some of the forums got consolidated anyway.

EYKIW is basically a forum of name games/appreciation threads/and 90's vs current U2 threads. It's turning into a wasteland itself. I don't see why we need a forum just to discuss the lyrics, or the faith, or U2 books. Every Artist is a Cannibal..., The Goal is Soul, and It's a musical Journey are all dead forums anyway, maybe if they all just got consolidated into the general U2 forum EYKIW it would create more discussion for these topics as well as revitalize EYKIW.

Also, I also still don't understand why Three Chords and the Truth and EBTTRT were split into 2 seperate forums. I think they should definitely be merged back together.

So these few changes would make plenty of room for a forum for games and chats galore and everybody would be happy.

Oh you could also delete Pleba too.

melon said:

I would actually disagree here. If people want to write a series of strange threads in LS, then that's fine. But, frankly, I'm tired of LS being nothing more than a forum for post whores.

Melon

What does it hurt you? Honestly. What the fuck do you care what other people do? That's what I don't get.

I expected better from you.

Chizip said:

Oh you could also delete Pleba too.

Really? Just because you don't like the forum doesn't mean it needs to be deleted. Don't go in there!

We all post whore and don't say ya'll don't. Some of you guys like to talk and chat in the threads too. How about we erase the sports thread or the zoo station thread and keep the tour forum threads and that's it? That forum is a nightmare with people bickering left and right. I go to pleba so I don't have to deal with such nastiness that occurs in the other threads.

Some of the threads have turned into an all out war against people. It's kind of sad really.

I'm kind of disgusted really that it's become like this.

U2Girl1978 said:

Really? Just because you don't like the forum doesn't mean it needs to be deleted. Don't go in there!

that was a joke, i guess i should have put a :wink: after it

pax said:
Maybe, Melon, people post in the "500" threads because they like the community and have fun, and not because they're postwhoring.

The way you and some other people are approaching this issue makes it out like LS is some sacred, wondrous forum that was once the discussion board equivalent of the Sistine Chapel and has been turned into a Wal-Mart. I've been posting here for going on four years, and I don't remember LS EVER being without some silly or pointless threads.

While we're at it, why don't we merge PLEBA with EYKIW? It's all about U2, isn't it?

The problem with LS is that it has definitely developed a PLEBA-like dynamic. I'm not going to say that's good or bad. That's up to people to decide. I like how you presume that these game threads are defiling a "sacred" forum. Your words, not mine.

Basically, I don't know why people are objecting to making a separate forum. We have a separate forum for music lovers and TV/film lovers. Why not merge those two into LS? Because we've identified specific topics that, while relevant to the LS dynamic, there's enough "chatter" to warrant a subforum.

So we have a large group of people who like to run up 500 posts of anything and nothing, so why *not* create a game forum? Because we have "too many forums"? I don't buy that, really. That hasn't stopped us from creating more forums before, and one more forum isn't going to bust the MySQL. And if people get tired of the games eventually? Well, just as easily as these forums can be created, they can be deleted too.

Just as the "X crowd" can be accused of snobbery, I think it's snobbery to presume that everyone is interested in reading what amounts to a bunch of public PMs, while other threads end up on the second page perhaps prematurely.

Anyway, I don't want this to be interpreted as a "fight." I, frankly, find this subject to be too trivial to hold grudges or to hate anyone over it. I just think we should seriously consider a separate subforum so that everyone can be happy. I really cannot see why those who love the game and chat threads would object to having their own subforum.

Melon

indra said:
Why? Why does what I like make you sad? Is it that you now think I'm stupid because I like some of the music game threads? :shrug:
oh come on, indra. you know full well that i did not call you, or anyone else stupid. please don't make assumptions about what i think.

it makes me sad for the same reasons that it makes me sad to hear that someone likes britney spears' music. why listen to something so empty and vacuous when you could be enjoying something so much more relevant and substantive? and don't think i don't know that this makes me sound like an elitist snob, or that it ascribes more importance to LS or B&C than there really ought to be. i am all about fun threads, but even the threads that i think are fun have more going for them than describing or posting the names of foods.
I have had as many discussions in Now Playing or song title threads as I have in other music threads, because the people in there are interested in discussing what they are listening to.
so have i, i completely agree with you here. and you'll see that i haven't stopped posting in the 'now playing' thread. like i said before, i enjoy seeing what people are listening to, and if it generates discussion - even better. this is what i posted earlier in this thread:
the thing that really irks me is seeing someone post a new song literally every minute (which is something i have seen in the last little while). now if the songs that person is listening to are in fact, one minute long, then i'll shut up. but i'm pretty sure that's not the case. so that leads me to believe that someone is blatantly spamming the thread, defeating the purpose of the thread and the bang & clatter forum - which is for music DISCUSSION. obviously if a person is posting song titles as fast as flood control will allow, he/she is not interested in discussing anything, and is just using the thread to postwhore. so yeah, i have a problem with that.
i guess all i'm really saying is that, for the short time that i've been registered, i've enjoyed coming here. i haven't had a problem with scrolling past and ignoring threads that don't interest me. but i'm now finding that there are more and more of these threads, and most of them are game threads. sure, i could start threads that i might find interesting, only to have them drop into oblivion where i and no one else will find them, due to the sheer number of game threads. and if those threads keep multiplying as they have been of late, there will just be more threads to ignore. taken to its logical conclusion, i'll have to ignore LS and B&C :(. and then, i'll just have to find somewhere else altogther to post.

and on that last point, please hold your applause until i have exited this thread. thanks. :wink:

holy crap. that was long-winded!

ah well, in honour of cujo.

:sexywink:

HeartlandGirl said:
I gotta say, I think a subforum is worth a trial run.

To be perfectly honest, it would be a lot of work and I dont feel like doing it because I dont think it would solve anything or make anyone any more or less happy. So we create a subforum, move a million threads there and not just from LS but from all over this forum since there are game/chat threads in multiple forums. And then if it doesnt work? Have to move all the threads back, into each specific forum that they belong to. I just feel like it would be a waste of time, energy, and throbbing headaches to please a few people. Because either way, there will be people that wont be happy.

Sicy said:
And then if it doesnt work? Have to move all the threads back, into each specific forum that they belong to.

Why would you have to do that? Just delete them completely, at that point, or dump them all in the Lemonade Stand Archive. And I'm sure that, if it came up to that, the usual suspects who are creating the threads now would resurrect them themselves in the appropriate forum accordingly.

Just a thought. I know that the decision to create a subforum or not is fully up to you guys, not me.

Melon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom