Get the games out of Bang and Clatter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
well, i'm glad to see there are people who dislike the game threads as much as i do. it seems that there's little that can be done about them though so... :sigh:

i have to say that i agree with HG about the 'now listening' thread though. yes, it's easy enough to skip, but i actually like seeing what people are listening to, and discussing it if it's something i'm interested in. and i don't mind if it's one person posting 500 times in there, IF THAT'S WHAT THEY'RE ACTUALLY LISTENING TO. the thing that really irks me is seeing someone (NOT you khanada) post a new song literally every minute (which is something i have seen in the last little while). now if the songs that person is listening to are in fact, one minute long, then i'll shut up. but i'm pretty sure that's not the case. so that leads me to believe that someone is blatantly spamming the thread, defeating the purpose of the thread and the bang & clatter forum - which is for music DISCUSSION. obviously if a person is posting song titles as fast as flood control will allow, he/she is not interested in discussing anything, and is just using the thread to postwhore. so yeah, i have a problem with that.

khanada, i think you do a great job of moderating b&c. the fact that you're posting in the 'now listening' thread just shows that you're hanging out in that end of the forum and keeping on top of things. i've seen many instances where what you've been listening to has evolved into discussion with other posters, which is the whole point of the thread.

but i stand by my initial post that the game threads, and to some extent, the 'now listening' thread, have become places for people to freely postwhore without having to contribute to the forum as a whole.

I think we should create a new forum and call it:

"Post Whores Unite!"

Then people can create any myriad of 500 post meaningless threads to be promptly closed and restarted.

Hell people can mash their keyboards for more posts in there for all I would care.

aldskjfhahwergkajsdfiulagbkjsdfgb;

Melon

lmjhitman said:
khanada, i think you do a great job of moderating b&c. the fact that you're posting in the 'now listening' thread just shows that you're hanging out in that end of the forum and keeping on top of things. i've seen many instances where what you've been listening to has evolved into discussion with other posters, which is the whole point of the thread.

but i stand by my initial post that the game threads, and to some extent, the 'now listening' thread, have become places for people to freely postwhore without having to contribute to the forum as a whole.
thank you. :)

and just for the record, i think there are too many of these various games threads around the forum. the name games in particular are a bit much, i know there's at least one in B&C, there's at least one more in LS, and now there's two in eykiw. i'm starting to think they're all about to reach a boiling point and something's gonna happen and they'll all go away.

why not reconsider a "game forum"

It's obvious people either love or hate them...a separate forum would make most everyone happy.

I know, this place doesn't need yet another forum...but it may help some of the disgruntlement surrounding these threads.

myusernamehere said:
why not reconsider a "game forum"

It's obvious people either love or hate them...a separate forum would make most everyone happy.

I know, this place doesn't need yet another forum...but it may help some of the disgruntlement surrounding these threads.

Do you really think a new forum would stop the bitching? Personally I strongly doubt it.

myusernamehere said:
At least the bitching would be contained to one area :wink:

I think bitching is part and parcel of all bulletin boards -- never seen one worth posting on without it. If there's no bitching, you aren't doing it right. :)

Hey, a Games Forum actually sounds like a good idea!! :ohmy: Think about it seriously and it means we'd have NO forum being clogged with a pile of "What Bono ate last week" games :wink: ...okay that was mad...but I am honestly getting a bit down-hearted by seeing these all over the place, surely their popularity merits them having a forum all to themselves??

i just took a snapshot of the lemonade stand

LS.jpg

the top 7 threads are either games or chat :crazy:

Chizip said:
i just took a snapshot of the lemonade stand

the top 7 threads are either games or chat :crazy:

The game and chat threads are popular, thats why they are the top 7 threads. If people didn't like them, they'd sink to the bottom.

the bottom line is, look who's complaining?

as much as i hate to sound so simplistic, it's not the older generation of posters who are causing the influx of pointless mega-threads.

it's the people who post for a few months, then leave.

why should the rest of us have to take it?

and khanada, i'm serious, i do think you're doing a fine 7ob moderating.

i'm only venting at what i deem to be the biggest problem of this message board.

Zoomerang96 said:
as much as i hate to sound so simplistic, it's not the older generation of posters who are causing the influx of pointless mega-threads.

it's the people who post for a few months, then leave.

why should the rest of us have to take it?

It is kind of simplistic, knowing that testje, randoooom, and the Bar are all driven by long-time members.

i wanted to add, on my own accord, that i think all the mods are doing a good 7ob.

i have no reason to kiss ass either, i mean it.

but now i ask that they make a separate forum.

pax said:

It is kind of simplistic, knowing that testje, randoooom, and the Bar are all driven by long-time members.

indeed...but in the full scope of all the mega threads, they make up only a fraction!

nevertheless, you are correct in your assertion and i regret bringing that up in the first place because it weakens my general arguement.

however, it does NOT weaken my position that a new forum should be made to house these.

as a randoomer i can tell you it is mostly comprised of oldbies (the opposite of a newbie i guess?) usually anyone who's a newbie just pops in and makes a post or two and usually doesn't come back in.

i know i have made some friends from posting in randoom and i'm grateful for that. i love my randoomers. :love:

see also: http://forum.interference.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=2631223#post2631223

beli said:

The game and chat threads are popular, thats why they are the top 7 threads. If people didn't like them, they'd sink to the bottom.

Exactly. And they are very easy to ignore if you don't like them. I don't get why so many people here seem to enjoy pissing on other peoples' parade.

it makes it a little harder to ignore them when they are constantly like the top 7 threads of a forum

it seems you cant go to any forum these days without the top 1 or 2 threads being a game

Zoomerang96 said:
indeed...but in the full scope of all the mega threads, they make up only a fraction!
it appears to me that the chat threads are made of up older members, while the game threads are more newbies (or at least more of a mix). i'm not saying there's anything wrong with that, just stating what i've noticed.

and i will say i think the number of game forums in LS is a bit excessive. unfortunately, if we choose to limit the number, then it comes down to which ones get closed? it'll look like we're picking on some people or playing favourites if we close specific ones. if we close them all it'll look like we're not letting anyone have any fun in LS, and we're allowing the chat threads.

the insane game thread has been closed, i've noticed, but that still leaves four game threads in LS. :sigh: mayhaps we can start a thread about it in LS discussing that we've received complaints about the number of game threads (this is if the rest of the mods agree that the number is excessive) and ask members what we should do to bring the number down.

like i said, even if we pick at random and just close our eyes and point to which game threads to close, the people posting in them will think it's personal, even if it's not. i know a lot of you have a problem with this so i'm open to any ideas or suggestions. at the very least i can take this to the other mods and see what they suggest our course of action should be.

mayhaps we can start a thread about it in LS discussing that we've received complaints about the number of game threads (this is if the rest of the mods agree that the number is excessive) and ask members what we should do to bring the number down

I think this is a good idea. :up: I doubt that they will want to decrease the number of games but it's worth a shot. I'm sick of all the lame games as well.

Chizip said:
it makes it a little harder to ignore them when they are constantly like the top 7 threads of a forum

it seems you cant go to any forum these days without the top 1 or 2 threads being a game

Do you honestly mean you are incapable of scrolling down half a page? :huh: How hard is that?

Perhaps I just have a special gene that makes me able to scroll down.... :|

yes i am incapable

it wouldnt be so bad if the games werent so laaaaaame, all of the "name game" type threads are ridiculous

naming something that has the same first letter as the last letter of the previous word is not a good "game." it takes no thinking whatsoever, it is the most pointless thing ever, i dont see how it is fun. maybe if they were games that had at least a tiny bit of difficulty, that made people think and created discussions, then hey that would be cool. but just one word after another...come on now

lame

easy

yuck

indra, come on.

if i made 20 new threads tonite, and you complained about it, all i'd have to use the same logic you're saying we should adopt and respond with "well how hard is it to go to page 2?!"

that's not good enough.

why can't we talk more about throwing these threads in a separate forum?? it's a good idea!

Zoomerang96 said:
indra, come on.

if i made 20 new threads tonite, and you complained about it, all i'd have to use the same logic you're saying we should adopt and respond with "well how hard is it to go to page 2?!"

that's not good enough.

why can't we talk more about throwing these threads in a separate forum?? it's a good idea!

Ah, but you see, I wouldn't care how many threads you posted tonight. You can post 100 in LS tonight and you won't hear (or see) a peep out of me, because I can scroll. :D

I very rarely bitch about your threads (well except your BSS one tonight, because I find it interesting that others get jumped on for starting new threads on a band already listed in the band index but no one bitched at you for doing exactly that...so I had to bust your chops just a bit -- if you can dish it out, you better be ready to take it too :) ), I just have found that I generally don't find them all that interesting or entertaining, so I mostly stay away from them, no matter how many you start. ;)

I've often gone into forums where there is nothing on the first page I want to look at, so I either go to the second page (apparently that's pretty novel here :huh: ) or I go to a different forum. If no one wants to post in those threads they will rapidly drop off the page, but since they do not drop off the page it is apparent that several people do enjoy them. What makes your enjoyment more important than theirs?

Besides, LS is kind of the BS forum anyway. :shrug:

I admit I haven't read this whole thread...but I don't see the problem with the Now Playing threads. It's a good place to generally talk about whatever you're listening to without starting a new thread for everything, and you can learn about new bands or ones you've never heard of.

i don't believe anyone has a problem with the now playing threads...?

i'm not sure, but i don't think that was the problem cited.

correct me if i'm wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom