Edit posts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

00Kevin

War Child
I think it would be great if we could edit our posts after an hour, so if we notice a mistake after an hour, we can fix it.

Time limit to edit your post is one hour. This wont be changing, sorry.
I would just preview your post before posting and then re-read your post a couple of times after you post it, so that you can make changes then.

This policy is the one thing that I do not like about Interference. It's annoyed me as long as it's been in place. (In fact I commented about it in a thread long ago and my argument was dismissed).

Once I posted something meant as a joke but after posting I thought that -- because of the way I worded my post -- it might be taken wrong by some people and possibly even read as offensive so I wanted to change it. It was past the 60-minute limit so I had to go through a mod to have my post edited. I find that annoying and ridiculous. I have never seen a 60-minute limit (or anything close to that) on any forum I've ever posted on -- except Interference.

There have been other times I've wanted to edit my spelling or grammar or just re-write something to clarify thoughts that I maybe had written too quickly the first time, but I couldn't edit because 60 minutes had passed.

I know the policy is in place so that mods can "catch" people misbehaving, but so many other forums -- in fact, I would guess the vast majority -- are functioning just fine without a similar policy. Many if not most forums allow editing for weeks, months or until the thread is archived/deleted.

[/end rant]

It's not just to 'catch' people doing things wrong. If you go back and edit your post a week later, it can screw up the entire thread. Once a good amount of replies are made after yours, and say you decide to edit your post and re word everything, or even post something different, then none of the posts after yours will no longer make any sense. This just causes confusion for the rest of the members.

I dont understand why it is so hard to check your post for grammar or spelling within an hour after you post it. This should be checked BEFORE you even post it :shrug:

Every board is different and has different rules and options. Such is life. We have options that most boards dont have or that may be better, and vice versa.

I agree with Sicy. This isnt changing, and infact we have in the past extended the time... to what is now one hour.

We'll keep the requests/comments in mind, but it won't be changing anytime soon.

i think maybe we should rethink this rule.

if somebody edits a post thats a week old is anybody reallllllllly gonna notice? and if there is a timestamp that tells you exactly when a post is edited, then people would be able to see why something may not make sense, because they can see it was edited.

i frequent many messageboards because im a loser like that, and none of them have a time limit on editing posts. and i have never seen any sort of confusion or controversy due to a post that has been edited a week later or something.

just my thoughts.

I would have liked it for my "Known Recordings" thread, so you can just have updated info as the first post. (Or like my Bittorrent thread, is Easytree still listed as one of the BT sites? LOL)

But at least 1 hour is better than a few minutes like it used to be.

shuffle.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom