do we really need all the censoring?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

U2Man

ONE love, blood, life
s a v e f i l e

s e n d s p a c e

m p 3

y o u s e n d i t

etc.

what is the purpose?

Last edited:
To cover this site's butt, I imagine. With all of the illegal filesharing to goes on, at least Elvis is making an effort to combat it. I don't blame him at all. I wouldn't want to risk getting sued.

but how does this combat illegal filesharing? anyone can post a link to illegal material, like this:

www.send space.com\blahblah\blahaaa\121212398.com

:shrug:

He's at least making an effort.

Would you rather all links of that nature just be banned completely, and the mods should remove them if people post them?

but if the rules of the site say that linking to illegal material isn't allowed and people have to agree on these terms before they sign up - can the site really be sued then?

Probably. If a member posts something illegal that is hosted somewhere else but has a link to it here, that would still make Interference involved with it.

Canadiens1160 said:
Alright, filtering out
mp3qg3.png
on Interference is pure stupidity. It's a fucking FILE EXTENSION people. Just because a file ends in
mp3qg3.png
doesn't mean it's pirated - it's the most popular digital format for storing music, for god's sake.

given what happened before with the lyrics and tabs, it's likely elvis is being extra cautious in regards to music files, but i don't blame him. this way, he's less likely to have this happen again.

i personally don't see where it's that much of an inconvenience.

Just you, tps. :wink:

Yeah, honestly, it's a teeny tiny inconvenience, if it's an inconvenience at all. I don't see why it's worth getting all hot and bothered about it.

interference. although individual members who posted infringing material might be sued too, i don't know.

i think the efforts elvis takes to prevent this are worth it, given that if he didn't, the mp3 forum might've been shut down. or who knows, maybe the whole site would've been.

i don't see the big deal in having to type "you " or "save file." it's a space, big deal. maybe it's just me, but i just don't get it. :shrug:

KhanadaRhodes said:
given what happened before with the lyrics and tabs,

I was going to bring this up, too. Universal's lawyers took the trouble to threaten him over lyrics, for crap's sake. What would they do for allowing links? If he's got safeguards in place, at least he can say he was trying.

I really dont have much to add to what the mods have already said here.

We 'censor' certain domains and file extensions as a means to discourage public sharing of illegal material.

It is MUCH easier to do this upfront than to receive TAKE-DOWN NOTICES from lawyers and then have to manually remove these links a daily basis.

There is absolutely nothing about this policy thats up for a public debate.

corianderstem said:
worth getting all hot [...] about it.

it's always worth getting hot. :drool:

if someone posted ...send space.../illegal_file

then it would still be an illegal move and it would be removed from the board.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom