Chat & Games Forum Guidelines?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Utoo

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
With the Chat & Games Forum now up and running, I'm just wondering about what the rules are for what gets put in there. It looks like the games & chats from LS have been put in there. But then I see that Zoo Station has a poll in it regarding whether or not the games are put in there....And the few games in EYKIW are still in EYKIW.

Just curious as to what should be posted in the new forum----will it only be games & chats that otherwise would've been in LS, is it every game or chat thread, or is it still kind of an on-going process?

I believe Sicy already commented on this, but for now the position is this....

If chat/game threads are related to the topic of a specific forum they stay where they are.

This new forum was greated for the random, unrelated, unspecific, etc stuff.

example:
Movie or tv game threads in the tv and movie related forum wont get moved.

A thread where people just list random numbers in various font sizes in the tv and movie related forum... will get moved.

Gotcha. Hadn't seen the other explanation----thanks!

I have mixed emotions on this one. Hence, the poll in Zoo.

This is all still being decided.

i think, even if you decide to leave the games in ZS, that there should be some form of limit on how many game threads in a forum. i mean at times i go in ZS and more than half of the first page is game threads :crazy: it makes it much harder to find the on topid real discussions about tv shows etc.

the rockin edge said:
i think, even if you decide to leave the games in ZS, that there should be some form of limit on how many game threads in a forum. i mean at times i go in ZS and more than half of the first page is game threads :crazy: it makes it much harder to find the on topid real discussions about tv shows etc.

Ditto. I liked that forum when it was first created and now I only bother to check once a week....and it's all games.

the rockin edge said:

Well we had discussed the idea of setting a limit of games per forum back when the complaints about the game/chat threads started. Say we made the limit 3. The problem is, how would we decide which 3 get to stay if there were more than that already. If there are 3 games running indefinitely, someone might say that it isn't fair, or get upset because they can never start a new game, or want to know why other threads aren't limited too, etc etc. :slant: Yeah, Zoo Station is overrun with games at this point but it's not easy to find a solution that is fair and won't just make people mad. :sigh:

I think that all game threads should be moved into the new forum, period.

I understand the reluctance here, there's the issue of subject matter and its pertaining to a specific forum (game threads in Zoo Station); however, this is the most fair option imo. It will become difficult for mods to determine which threads should remain and which should be moved (not an impossible feat, but more headache than it's worth). Not to mention people may be confused as to why some were moved and others not. If all are moved, I'd like to think everyone could adjust with relative ease.

So yeah, since the new forum is specifically for chat/game threads I think they should all be relocated there. I'm not trying to gang up on game threads, I bear no grudge against them--I even participate in the odd few from time to time. To me, this is the most clear cut decision. Besides, most game threads are chain threads so all threads in the new forum will also share that in common.

We should name the new forum "Chained Melody" perhaps? (yeah--I'm lame) :p

Achtung_Bebe said:
So yeah, since the new forum is specifically for chat/game threads I think they should all be relocated there. I'm not trying to gang up on game threads, I bear no grudge against them--I even participate in the odd few from time to time. To me, this is the most clear cut decision. Besides, most game threads are chain threads so all threads in the new forum will also share that in common.

I agree. Maybe I missed something along the way, but why would anyone have a problem with moving all the games into a separate place? The people who love playing them could still do so, with one extra click of the mouse.

What are the arguments against the move? I think the only one I've heard is from those who feel the games are looked down upon.

corianderstem said:

What are the arguments against the move? I think the only one I've heard is from those who feel the games are looked down upon.

I agree, I think some people take these things a little too personally. Just because a thread is moved to a new forum doesn't mean its a crappy thread that's being sent to exile or something, it is just making things more organized.

I am leaning towards just moving all the game/chat threads to the game/chat forum.

I don't understand why this has grown into such a big deal, actually. I see nothing wrong with the post from Elvis above. I wish the change whatever it is going to be would just get done and the whole thing be over with. Seems logical and simple enough, of course always easier said than done. Regardless, I feel for Sicy..... what an ordeal, one I am sure she too would like to see over and done with!

For the record, there WILL be a couple threads here and there that I feel should stay where they are. For instance chat threads in PLEBAns will not be moved, the sing a long game in EYKIW can probably stay there, but the majority of the game threads are going to be moved to the game forum.

I don't believe so as it is usually of a mature nature which is the reason why it is in Mr. P's (which hardly gets any action at all so I don;t see how it bothers anyone)

arw9797 said:
Shouldn't the "I've Never" thread be moved into Out Of Control?

Well I just got through saying that there will be a few threads that will stay where they are. For forums where the overload of game threads is not a problem, I think that the threads can stay.

The main issues here seem to be in LS, and Zoo Station. I think there is ONE game thread in EYKIW right now excluding the sing along and one or two in B&C. For now I'm leaving them.

Miroslava said:
I don't believe so as it is usually of a mature nature which is the reason why it is in Mr. P's (which hardly gets any action at all so I don;t see how it bothers anyone)

it doesn't bother anyone where it is. I was just curious. I have my reasons.........

i don't like the chat/game forum :uhoh: :reject:

btw, is it just me or did the chat/game forum disappear? :shifty:

erm, never mind, i just saw it got a new name lol. :reject:

Last edited:
Elvis, Sicy, Neutral,

Can I suggest again, removing the post count on the the games forum? The feature which adds posts in there to post counts, I mean.
-The threads have been deemed by majority to not be included as part of the main forums as their content is often redundant and irrelevant. They're games, nothing more.
-They attract high post turnovers, held back only by the excellent 45 second flood control which Sicy was harrassed into lessening from one minute.
-The absence of merit in posting in there will have a marked effect on the number of threads and replies. Certainly not everyone is in those threads to up their count or to merely postwhore, however, the unnecessary nature of these threads has an effect on this entire board. It's a busy addition, yes? I dont look at stats anymore, but I assume there is a steady flow in there. This is not a suggestion for punishment, but more to acknowledge that the threads are welcome in their new home for people to have mindless fun, but the posts are not something to use to gain from. Like journals not counting as posts and comments not adding up either. I know removing the post count wont mean those posts aren't then added to the board's stats, but not having them add to individual's stats might mean you get less pointless waste by posting for the sake of it - an anti clogging effect, if you will.

Angela Harlem- not that I look at stats :shifty: but why does it say your registered in Dec 1969? how did that happen?

Years ago Elvis did a server changeover and my 'account' got stuck (if my memory serves me correctly). The default registration on many vBs is either December 31 1969 or January 1 1970, depending on your timezone (I believe, as some people see different dates and the only difference I can see is people's timezones :slant: ) I see my date registration as Jan 1970, for example. I think America sees it as 69.
I think it's quite cool :D

Back
Top Bottom