Bumping old threads

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Reggo

Blue Crack Addict
I have a suggestion for the unnecessary bumping of threads that have been long inactive but haven't been moved to the archive yet. Before the thread can be posted in, either via the Quick-Reply box or the Post Reply button, there should be a disclaimer of some sort. Another fan site I frequent, greekstinkbreath.net has one:

"This topic has been inactive for more than 30 days. Do not post unless you have something important to add."
And it has a check box that you must mark before your post can be added.

I like it there, thought it might be put to good use here.

"This topic has been inactive for more than 30 days. Do not post unless you have something important to add."

I love the implied "Only post unimportant crap in new threads."

:lol:

Oh that's a pretty good idea. I think it's pretty annoying when someone bumps a 4 year old thread to add his/her 2 cents or some other comment replying on the OP who isn't even here anymore...I guess most people don't even look at a thread's date.

glad I could assist on a problem, LOL!
:wink:
I think, sometimes Im looking back and missed out on 'saying my bit' (so to speak), so rather than start a new thread on an old topic and have people ask why I didnt search, I figured its okay, because esp in Pleba there are lots of threads flowing through and so very quickly topics become old :), therefore really I thought even threads close to last summer were okay? there have been some older than that, re-bumped with an update or discussion from someone else. :):):)

:hug:

or just, lock all the threads after say, 3 months! :wink::wave:

I'm going to offer a dissenting opinion, here. I don't mind seeing old threads being bumped at all. It eliminates multiple threads created for the same topic (which would be far more annoying and cluttering, IMO), sometimes there is new information to add about an old topic, and like maddy said above, sometimes people miss them when they were originally started, but want to comment on them later, which they should be able to do.

Just my thoughts on the matter, fwiw. :)

Well ofcourse everyone should be allowed to comment, but most of the times people comment on an old thread it's just a random post which doesn't contribute to any discussion(since it's dead anyway) nor does it give a new piece of information. Now if someone adds to a dead thread with new information or a great new insight, that's great, I'm really cool with that. But the useless bumping? Not so much.

I'm going to offer a dissenting opinion, here. I don't mind seeing old threads being bumped at all. It eliminates multiple threads created for the same topic (which would be far more annoying and cluttering, IMO), sometimes there is new information to add about an old topic, and like maddy said above, sometimes people miss them when they were originally started, but want to comment on them later, which they should be able to do.

Just my thoughts on the matter, fwiw. :)

:up:

I tried to bump an old (2007) thread last night, but I couldn't because the damned thing had been archived. :grumpy:

And yes, the info I had to add really is that damned important!

I just know when I start a new thread (because my new info really is that important! ;) ) there will be people posting "Haven't we already discussed this?" and "Aren't there already threads on this?" Damned if you do and damned if you don't. :lol:

Damned if you do and damned if you don't. :lol:

Pretty much.

As far as the archives go, I have no knowledge of why or how all the threads before around August of 2008 got archived, but if there's a thread that you want to bump and you have relevant info, you can ask a mod to un-archive it. I have no problem doing this.

Back
Top Bottom