A question about signing in/posting replies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Achtung_Bebe

New Yorker
I have one "pet peeve" recently... what happens is I'll go to post a reply, but then I'll get this "you must be registered to post" message, which is fine (sometimes I'm logged in automatically when visiting the site, other times I need to sign in again).

When I'm through logging in though, I'm not redirected to my reply, and therefore I lose it. Is there a setting that will allow one to be redirected to their post, or is this a mechanism being used by you all powerful mods ;) to train users to log in immediately?

I'm sorry if this has been asked before, I may have overlooked it.

That's a good question! I dont believe there is a setting for this but its possible that Elvis could tweek it so that it does redirect. Will pass this along.

To be quite frank... it sounds like there maybe something wrong with your browser relating to cookies, or a security setting or security software you're using.

Technically, if you're logged out you will NOT see the 'Quick Reply' box at the bottom of a thread, and clicking 'Reply' button would take you to the login screen.

You may also want to make sure that your Options in UserCP for 'Browse board with cookies?' is set to YES.

Do you have to log in every so often here? I haven't had it happen often since I got my new PC and a high speed connection, but with my other one (and dial up) I would have to log in several times during an evening (which I do realise is probably a sign I'm on here too much :huh: ). Sometimes it would happen when I was replying to a thread, especially if I took a while to write my reply.

Most of the time I was able to get back to the page with all my bitching and moaning on it after logging in by using the back button on my browser, but occasionally it was lost. I then learned to open a second browser window and log in again (even if I had to log out and then back in again) before posting big, long, complicated replies.

Or I'd just copy the reply to Word Pad in case it got lost when I would try to post. Then I could just try again.

it's very likely that some security software is causing this... I'm using my parents' new computer, and they loaded it full of McAfee to the point where I'm surprised it doesn't consider an open browser a "pop-up."

well thanks for the response, I've made sure that the cookies are activated.

indra said:
I would have to log in several times during an evening (which I do realise is probably a sign I'm on here too much :huh: ). Sometimes it would happen when I was replying to a thread, especially if I took a while to write my reply.

Most of the time I was able to get back to the page with all my bitching and moaning on it after logging in by using the back button on my browser, but occasionally it was lost.

now that you mention it, when it does happen it's usually after having sit idle for a while... I've just been doing the "back button" method, but sometimes it doesn't retrieve the info.

I shall try not to "idleize" on the forum... I will continue to idolize, however. ;)

Well I just tried it... I didnt log in, I went to a topic, I hit reply and then it asked me to sign in. I signed in and it took me right back to the reply. :heart:

And I have never had to re-log in no matter how long I sit. It very well may be a browser/computer/security issue.

indra said:
Do you have to log in every so often here? I haven't had it happen often since I got my new PC and a high speed connection,

Ever since I posted this reply I've had to sign in several times a day.... :uhoh:

That will teach me not to post about such subjects.... :grumpy:

Sicy said:
Clear your cookies/cache then restart browser.. that might help.

I'll give it a try.

It's not that big of a deal, but it just seems a bit like a little karmic dog giving me a bite in the ass for saying "nah, nah, nah it doesn't happen to me anymore." :wink:

Back
Top Bottom