A Message to Our Readers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lisa71 said:
I've been a lurking for a long time but I wasn't here during the other fake Edge incident. Somehow, even reading the explaination by this dsmith person, I still don't completely understand what supposedly happen. It all seems odd. But the most interesting issue no ones' brought up is where did that picture come from that the fake Edge posted? Did the teenager take that photo of him so close?? It kinda looks like Popmart era so that doesn't seem to jive. I guess she could have gotten off the internet??

This was discussed in the "Interference Plebiscite: Abdicate or Mediate" thread some days ago. Check it out:

http://forum.interference.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=98382&perpage=15&pagenumber=11

The Elvis' quote from U2dork is quite interesting indeed.

The whole thing is just a big let down...and too bad it was all fake.

However, it really makes me wish the band would take the time to stop for a minute and really "talk" to the fans. We've got the internet, which creates a bridge between us...if only it were used more frequently.

Perhaps someday we'll have the REAL Edge stop by for a chat...

AliEnvy said:
If a detailed report is being compiled, you can bet it's the official U2 camp asking for it.

Otherwise, we'd all have answers by now.

Is it possible Elvis was fooled? Well it's not impossible but it's sure not probable considering his self-proclaimed web savvy.

What has happened to people here was not only immoral, unethical and unprofessional (things that are not uncommon on the net, especially message boards), but in the context of interference as a business (non-profit or not) it's also illegal.

That's simply untrue.

There is no contract which says "if The Edge doesn't post here then the website is deemed to owe you everything"...

AliEnvy said:
Is it possible Elvis was fooled? Well it's not impossible but it's sure not probable considering his self-proclaimed web savvy.

What has happened to people here was not only immoral, unethical and unprofessional (things that are not uncommon on the net, especially message boards), but in the context of interference as a business (non-profit or not) it's also illegal.

Well, gee... Was Elvis fooled the first time this happened back during ATYCLB? I mean, we were told then that it was REALLY Bono. Then we find out it wasn't, and it was swept under the rug. Lots of people who were around then remembered that. So, hmmm. Can he be fooled twice? Can WE be fooled TWICE?

You are sooo right. Anytime a person receives money for services rendered, it becomes a business, regardless of how much money is made. It's still a business and as such, the consumers on this site should expect respect, dignity, integrity, PRINCIPLE, and scruples.

I haven't seen any of that. Really, Joel. A lot of people are telling you the same thing: We can't believe you didn't have anything to do with this because of your actions NOW and your actions in the PAST. There is so much more to all of this other than this one little Edge debacle. It's impossible to believe someone who has spoken openly of hacking into Bono's e-mail account and being proud of said venture. Trust is so easy to destroy and so hard to build back up. You have a lot of explaining to do, and saying that you are "looking into it" because you were "duped" is a bunch of bunk. How can you possibly be duped twice? In the space of three years? You said that you would check, double check, and triple check sources the next time a possible "it's the BAND!" post comes in. Hrm. You'd think the check, double check, and triple check would already have been done *because* of what happened the last time we had a fake Edge.

*edited to fix Bono's name*

Moonie :mad:

Last edited:
like I said before...this same thing happened here about 3 years ago, maybe a little bit more...although if I remember correctly it was a fake bono then. I was a moderator on the forums here and an op in the chat as well. NOTHING happens on this site without Elvis knowing about it. That's all I have to say on the subject....and I will likely get banned for saying that...but it had to be said.

*****edited to add: it may have been edge back then too. I can't recall but it caused a big stink back then and people left and some were banned. But, life went on at interference.

This is a great site, I wish things like this would stop happening because the site is strong all on its own without junk like this taking away from it.

Last edited:
LoveTown said:
like I said before...this same thing happened here about 3 years ago, maybe a little bit more...although if I remember correctly it was a fake bono then. I was a moderator on the forums here and an op in the chat as well. NOTHING happens on this site without Elvis knowing about it. That's all I have to say on the subject....and I will likely get banned for saying that...but it had to be said.

I stand corrected. A fake Bono. You're right. For some reason, I thought it was Edge.

I'll go change my original post.

Moonie :|

TC2290 said:

That's simply untrue.

There is no contract which says "if The Edge doesn't post here then the website is deemed to owe you everything"...

You simply don't know much about misrepresentation as it relates to the use (misuse) of a celebrity's image for financial gain. U2's management does, and I hope they are investigating this with better results than we're getting here.

The Edge "self-portrait" from this Pleba thread:
http://forum.interference.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=98055&perpage=15&pagenumber=6

35fb1c64.jpg

What Elvis said in this thread:

http://forum.interference.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=95171&perpage=30&pagenumber=1

Elvis said:
I got to hang out with the band back in 2000 (my story is in the u2 meetings forum) and didnt take a picture with them - although I did get a funny picture of Edge posing/waving about a foot infront of the camera - and its slightly blurry.

Whaddya think?

Your welcome Lisa71. If this isn't it, I'm very interested in seeing the picture Elvis was referring to in his post. :hmm:

Oh yes Biff, it's definitely not current, but more than that it seems to fit Elvis' photo description far too well. Of course if this isn't the picture you took Elvis, this particular matter could easily be cleared up by showing us the picture you did take that you were referring to in that post. Now that's not too much to ask is it?

LoveTown said:

*****edited to add: it may have been edge back then too. I can't recall but it caused a big stink back then and people left and some were banned. But, life went on at interference.

This is a great site, I wish things like this would stop happening because the site is strong all on its own without junk like this taking away from it.

i thought edge too but it may have been both.

I didn't join Interference expecting to talk to The Edge, Bono or any of the band. I joined it after I observed for awhile and decided I really wanted to be a part of a community so dedicated to U2, whom I love.

I find it hard to believe some can't believe something like this can happen.

I read, just today, about a 5 year - 40 million dollar sequel to an internet game that was hacked into and stolen. Of course I know hacking into someones computer is different from this situation, but the community there got behind the person who developed the game and found the hacker in Germany.

I find some of the statements said to or about Joel and the staff deplorable.
I don't really care if anyone here leaves or stays and I certainly won't be leaving. I donated money for the sheer fact that I have received as much if not more, than I have given.
I have always enjoyed coming here and will remain a member.

I hate it for all those who feel they were mislead, but I reserve my indignation for more matters that affect my own family and country.

I don't feel I am being led blindly or naively along and if that is what someone feels they should just go. It's not for them any longer.

Edited to say: One thing is for sure, you will probably never see U2 posting on any site, maybe not even on their official site. I mean really who would believe it, when it can't be proven? :sad:

Last edited:
What can I say? I stood quite most of the time watching the whole thing. I think I was expecting that sooner or later I would be reading this thread. Anyway, I must admit that at some point I wished that he was The Edge, because it was so moving the way some of you really believed he was. I hope you don't feel discouraged, because this is still the best site on our favourite band. And maybe The Edge will really come to post here one day. I just hope that, when it happens, they'll check its identity promptly.

Last edited:
I have always enjoyed coming here and will remain a member.
I will also stay. This situation was never the reason that made me become a member. U2 were, and all the enthusiastic fans who make this the best forum.

Last edited:
Folks, despite my low post count (it was reset some time ago), I am a long time member, and I watch these boards more than I post to them.

This is not the first time the administrators of these boards have lied to members. A situation came up four years ago that was very much the same, and it was handled in the same way you're seeing now.

My opinion is that you're being lied to. Plain and simple. You can keep having fun on these boards, or you can take your business to more reputable sites.

We all share a love of some music. We all joined into a community for that reason. But I, for one, am moving on. I've been a member for four years, but I'm done. I can't participate in a board that--at the very least--can't validate the most basic of facts. I've been a journalist for over 15 years. I've interviewed Paul McGuinness. It's very, very easy to validate who you're talking to.

You've been had. And you can paint all kinds of rosy pictures about it "being a community," but sometimes, you have to take off the fly shades and face the simple facts: sometimes, everything you know IS wrong.

There are other sites out there. You'll lose your post counts. You'll have to recreate some avitars. But ultimately, you might experience a little more integrity. And you won't have to deal with so much BS when you're just trying to talk a bit about your favorite music.

See you elsewhere,

sixtoe

Signing off.

maude said:
Oh yes Biff, it's definitely not current, but more than that it seems to fit Elvis' photo description far too well. Of course if this isn't the picture you took Elvis, this particular matter could easily be cleared up by showing us the picture you did take that you were referring to in that post. Now that's not too much to ask is it?

Found it... for all you curious folks.

Taken on Oct. 26, 2000:

DSCF0018.jpg

Joel

Elvis,
I'm not proud to inform you that I've just read this:

U2 fans hold celebration in Ontario
October 15, 2004
By RUSSELL INGOLD
They were among several U2 admirers from across the country who were able to finally meet in person with others they have been regularly chatting with online at ww.interference.com, the largest U2 fan-based website. ...
http://www.atu2.com

U2SavesTheWorld said:
That said, it was clear to me from the beginning that the mods were not involved with this. Flame me if you will but I have no reason to lie about this. Obviously, this is just my opinion but I think we should be careful about lumping everyone into the same sinking boat.

Some of the mod's posts on this subject have expressed the same sadness and frustration that many members are feeling. It seems clear to me that none of the MODS knew what was going on here and I think its bullshit that they are getting slammed by some people (not referring to the post I quoted). There is no reason to bring more people into this then necessary...especially when those in question have done nothing wrong.
yes, thank you. i think i speak for all the mods here when i say we had no clue. i still believe elvis that there was no master scheme to fool the entire forum. why would he do that? there are a lot of sleuths on here, the would-be lie would've been exposed.

also, about the pic of the edge people are saying elvis took...come on. look at the cowboy hat and goatee. that was taken during the popmart tour. he'd changed his look somewhat by 2000. i'm not even one of the drooling plebans ( :wink: ) and i noticed that!

now i'm gonna go back to lurking in this thread...

This doesn't anger me like others because I always had my doubts. I mean, do you guys remember the threads, his responses? I remember one thread when the new album was the focus, and people were just hitting him with questions about songs, what they sounded like....no answers....but then when someone said something about "Love and Peace"...quick response. Why? We've all heard it.

Some of his remarks made it so obvious, remember someone mentioned Brtiney Spears, and he said "oh ya, she's not very welcome here after he last visit." YEAH RIGHT!!! The Edge would never say something like that, even if he DID hear about that, would he still remember? Then the responses to Jick, and posting that stupid "ZooTV Intro" post. You grace us with your prescense once every few days to post that? Nothing on the new album, but let me cut and paste some lyrics from another band.

I think as much as Elvis and the staff owe the blue crack community an apology (and I think he's done so), I think apologies should also be given out to those who completely slammed the doubters. I feel bad for Jick, I mean the guy is negative, but man, was he slammed on that post. And he went through the courtesy of posting that big apology.

God, in the end, I think people really wanted to believe it and I did to. I posted a few responses. What hurts is to read the posts from the real believers who basically poured their hearts out to "The Edge" and to find this out, I'm real sorry guys.

that being said, I am upset about this (not as much as others). but I believe, and am hoping, that it was just an overlook and I am definetly willing to forgive. That also being said, I am not a premium member, and easily see the anger of Dave and the rest. But I ain't going nowhere, Elvis. The pure fun I had on the new album forum today with these TOTP leaks will keep me loyal to the blue crack.

Jesus -

It's only music (albeit glorious)

It's only a band (albeit the best god damned band ever)

It's only a fansite
THIS IS ONLY A FANSITE!

It's like the first time we realize that our parents are just as human as we are. Oh well.

Lot more goin' on around the world than this - time to put the focus back on just being fans. Let's just get back to geekin' out about the lack of rotation in the setlists, Bono's voice, Adam's pants, whatever.

Back to geekin' boys and girls. Back to geekin'

PurpleSeven said:
Let's just get back to geekin' out about the lack of rotation in the setlists, Bono's voice, Adam's pants, whatever.
Back to geekin' boys and girls. Back to geekin'

:yes: I'm with you on that! Don't forget bono's pants!

AliEnvy said:

Deserve, yes, but that will never happen.

If Elvis were to disclose any real specifics about this, he would be personally liable for financial fraud.

Would anyone actually sue? Surely not anyone who shelled out a mere $20, but perhaps the folks over at PM might be inclined to take action when a U2 hoax is perpetrated for profit. Particulalry on a website with 22,000+ members (do some math there).

Seems they have reached a deal.

It seems to me this post is dangerously close to libel.

Elvis said:
Originally posted by Tip Top Prince

Translation: Fuck off we'll do it when we feel like it.

Response: It should have already been done. This thread is a chance for you to redeem yourself and the reputation of the staff, but instead you choose to make a mockery of the whole situation.

Who are you trying to protect?

a) dont make my words into something they arent.

Maybe it's not what you mean with your words, but it is how many here interpret them, with all the vagueness going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom