a 'like' button

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jim

Refugee
First off I must say to the lovely people that keep this forum running, I can't imagine how much work it takes and I'm sure at times it's a thankless task... I as an occasional contributor and lurker value this place and really appreciate it... I'm sure there are many like me.

I was thinking that sometimes I'd like to acknowledge 'thumbs up' or like what people say in threads without necessarily providing a written response (I know this isn't Facebook).

Particularly when you just want to applaud somebody's perspective. I also think that it might neutralise some of the bickering and behind-screen anxiety that can drain the energy from good discussions.

Just a thought ... probably a bad one what do you think?

A like button, yeah. I'm outta here.

Isn't there already a thumbs-up emoticon? Jesus h christ.

I shot a guy once for giving me the :up: out on the roads. In retrospect, i suppose he was just trying to thumb a ride since his bicycle had obviously broken down on the side. He was one of those well dressed young guys, you know, traveling religious types you see trying to convert people to this or that.

I guess it looked as though he'd flipped us the bird, in our defense, we'd been on a 3 or 4 day bender and it was 9 am in the morning........we were just trying to get home from the nude bar(s).

He'll probably have a limp for the rest of his days. If i were to see him again i wouldn't hesitate to shoot him in the other leg so he won't feel so special. By most accounts he got off kind of lucky.

Yes to a thumbs up. No to a thumbs down.

Also, I'm still begging for a tagging feature. I think people would be WAY more active on this site if they new people were talking to them.

First off I must say to the lovely people that keep this forum running, I can't imagine how much work it takes and I'm sure at times it's a thankless task... I as an occasional contributor and lurker value this place and really appreciate it... I'm sure there are many like me.

I was thinking that sometimes I'd like to acknowledge 'thumbs up' or like what people say in threads without necessarily providing a written response (I know this isn't Facebook).

Particularly when you just want to applaud somebody's perspective. I also think that it might neutralise some of the bickering and behind-screen anxiety that can drain the energy from good discussions.

Just a thought ... probably a bad one what do you think?

The internet is a very passive medium, and so it's very easy for people to just ignore things that they don't like. If you add a "like" button then it will encourage people to use it, and so you'll end up with a lot of posts that just say "liked" or "thumbs up". It would be a lot of noise, and it would make it harder to find the good stuff.

Back
Top Bottom