Important: Infinity is a great place to start

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The_Edge89

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
:bono::larry::edge::adam:

Dear PLEBAns,
Today, I will execute an idea that has lived with me for about two years.
My absence here might have indicated that something was coming.

I have lost my faith in U2 and I can no longer right-fully call myself a fan of the band. It is a long series of disappointing events that has resulted in this feeling but it started with the most recent campaign and have escalated ever since. The bottom line is that I don't regonise the U2 I always knew and it makes me angry and sad and...empty.

I have been in touch with the mods so they will somehow help me get rid of the Edge89 moniker once and for all. Before I go however, I just wanted to express my deepest thank yous to everyone in here for all the good times we've shared. United against the rest of the community, PLEBAns will always be special to me. This will be the last you hear from The_Edge89 for the foreseeable future but my physical person isn't going anywhere so don't worry about me. It's nothing crazy like that.

Something is about to give
I can feel it coming
I think I know what it means
I'm not afraid to die
I'm not afraid to live
And when I'm flat on my back
I hope to feel like I did

'Cause hardness, it sets in
You need some protection
The thinner the skin

I want you to know
That you don't need me anymore
I want you to know
You don't need anyone, anything at all

Who's to say where the wind will take you
Who's to know what it is will break you
I don't know which way the wind will blow
Who's to know when the time has come around
Don't wanna see you cry
I know that this is not goodbye

In summer I can taste the salt in the sea
There's a kite blowing out of control on a breeze
I wonder what's gonna happen to you
You wonder what has happened to me

I'm a man, I'm not a child
A man who sees
The shadow behind your eyes

Who's to say where the wind will take you
Who's to know what it is will break you
I don't know where the wind will blow
Who's to know when the time has come around
I don't wanna see you cry
I know that this is not goodbye

Did I waste it?
Not so much I couldn't taste it
Life should be fragrant
Roof top to the basement
The last of the rock stars
When hip hop drove the big cars
In the time when new media
Was the big idea
That was the big idea

Take care,
Simon

oh..... Simon, I'm sorry to hear that feel you know longer recognize the band you once were so close to. It only surprises me b/c when you think of JT > AB, then later POP, i don't see such radical changes .

Does this mean U No Love The Claw, too? :(

Anyway, good luck with your (let's see if I have it right/or close to) with your Bio-chemical Related Research & Medical Studies at University?
If that's changed, good luck with what ever new path you are on.

Sweden has a lot of good stuff going for itself (that certain factions in the USA should stop getting all hysterical about and l-e-a-r-n something from). I wish your country well as well! :)

You were one of those brave guys hanging out with us PLEBAn's. It was nice to have you in our threads!

So take care of yourself, and as Midnight Oil might say.... "Go Well!" :wave:
dazz

I said I would make no more appearances but as my account still isn't suspended, I'm taking every opportunity I can get.

Bye Simon. I hope you find what you are looking for. :)

No pun intended. ;)

I think. :shifty:

Thanks bonocomet. Me too.
I like puns. :)

oh..... Simon, I'm sorry to hear that feel you know longer recognize the band you once were so close to. It only surprises me b/c when you think of JT > AB, then later POP, i don't see such radical changes .

Does this mean U No Love The Claw, too? :(

Anyway, good luck with your (let's see if I have it right/or close to) with your Bio-chemical Related Research & Medical Studies at University?
If that's changed, good luck with what ever new path you are on.

Sweden has a lot of good stuff going for itself (that certain factions in the USA should stop getting all hysterical about and l-e-a-r-n something from). I wish your country well as well! :)

You were one of those brave guys hanging out with us PLEBAn's. It was nice to have you in our threads!

So take care of yourself, and as Midnight Oil might say.... "Go Well!" :wave:
dazz

Dazz, it's not the music in itself that puts me off. U2 always will remain my number one act in this world. It's their radical change in attitude that hurts me. In addition, personal circumstances pulled me away from U2 and I fell out of the loop. Back in, I realised they're not what they used to be to me right now.

We're talking about a band that have always been revolving around innovations: musically, theatrically, politically, techonologically etc.
In less than a year, they make No Line On The Horizon a rejected orphan: its songs leave the setlist, Breathe gets the boot (no pun intended) from the official concert film, they take the controversial word "sexy" out of Get On Your Boots, and don't even bother to release the fourth and final single.

Instead they briefly play some works in progress with half of U2 missing from the stage. Finally, they glorify their past: the 90's! For crying out loud, the failure that was POP (I strongly disagree though) received more attention in the setlists on the final show of that tour than did No Line On The Horizon on the final night of the 360 Tour?!

They could've saved that tribute for Glastonbury. And what happened to that song? Did they play it at the occassion it was written for? No.

Instead they keep on glorifying their past and grandly celebrate the 20th anniversary of their arguably finest moment while the future dries up. At the same time Bono starts talking of his fear of U2 becoming irrelevant and R.E.M. call it a day. What happened to Songs of Ascent? Well, they butchered it and sold the best pieces in obscure places since it wasn't commercial enough. Winter is released in two versions, Kingdom of Your Love is shortened and released as Soon, Mercy is cleverly put on a Live EP to stop the whining and North Star is mysteriously included in Transformers 3 without much attention. What happened to that gorgeous "We Love You" intro to Beautiful Day?

Currently, they run around like headless chicken trying their luck with a billion different people/producers/songwriters at the same time. They can't decide what to do - while the fear of becoming irrelevant draws nearer all the time.
:|

Where is the U2 that ironically set out to fuck up the mainstream rather than becoming part of it in the 90's? Where is the U2 that have the integrity to believe in what they are doing? Where is the U2 I have known and loved for the past decade?

/rant over

Dazz, thank you so much. Reading your words brings tears to my eyes.
I enjoyed the Claw very much (360 was the best I ever saw them live) but this campaign have brought to my attention things that cannot be ignored and supported by myself anymore.

Finally, a year after my original classmates, I graduated from my bachelor degree programme a few weeks back. This is the reason I fell out of the loop - I had to pull myself together and focus on not messing up my future. So now I call myself a Bachelor of Medical Science With a Major in Biomedicine. I intend to go on with a Master's degree programme in late August. So at least some part of my life is going well. Thank you for your wishes of good fortune.

I consider PLEBA the only place here where I will always feel at home. I have realised what horrible place Interference can be and the attitude of some users here are really disgraceful. But right here, in this part, I know I have made some very good acquaintances over the years. It is also here that I found someone I consider my first true love. I won't reveal who she is, since she is no longer here as a regular. It was thanks to this place that I could begin a journey to make a very, very close friend seven years ago. I don't want to go into details as it didn't become what I hoped for but we at least intend to stay in touch as friends and all of it was my own fault. I'd like to take this opportunity to make a special shout out to the remaining brave male PLEBAns, JJAsi, Edge_Orchestra and waynetravis in particular.

One day I'll be back, in your blue room.
I think that I only have to go away and dream it all up again.
In the meantime, let me know if you want to keep in touch with me somehow.
Thank you for your kind words and thoughts, ladies.
Of course I will take care of myself.

Back
Top Bottom