A question regarding my 20-year class reunion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Illumination70

The Fly
In a couple of months I will be attending my class reunion and the problem is many of my classmates are married I'm not due to lack of luck and I no longer believe in love.
My question is how does one handle the condescending bingo crap such as "maybe one day your prince will come" or "you should really lower her standards" without causing a stir in a formal environment?
I'm asking because I'm putting down some of my hard-earned money to see what happened to everyone and want as little drama as possible.

I'd just say with a smile on my face "Actually, I'm at a really great place in my life and I don't really feel like I'm missing out on anything by not being married." or something to that effect, whether or not it's true (and I hope for you it is). They don't need to know that you've had bad luck in love or don't believe in what they believe in.

Good luck! Mine's next year :yikes:

Just tell them you're feeling fine alone.

These days it just seems to be 'not done' when you're not in a relationship nor looking for one, I just ignore it. :rolleyes: Why should you force a relationship on yourself with someone you're not happy with just for the sake of having a relationship? I prefer being happy with myself and just continuing to live my life. You never know when you run into someone..

I agree with the rest. It is really none of their business anyway.

This reminds me I have my 10 year reunion in November

My 20 year is in October. Generally I think that at this point in our lives everyone is way more mellow, and have settled into their lives. At my 10 year I was one of the only girls who didn't have like 5 kids yet and I think people thought I was a freak.

Oh knows maybe you'll meet someone at the reunion!

I wouldn't be able to help being a smartass and saying something like, "oh I couldn't bear the thought of being tied down to one person for the rest of my life."

I have my 15 year reunion in a few weeks and I may or may not have left my husband by then. That'll get the gossip going .:reject:

Haha my 35 yr reunion is in the fall. Girlfriend I'm back in touch with thanks to Facebook asked if I was going. No way. Haven't been to any of them. I couldn't wait to get out of high school and get married, no looking back now.

You shouldn't have to explain yourself at all. Like others have said just state that you are fine and move on.

My 10 year was back in 2007 I skipped it. Those who I actually cared about I stayed in contact with after high school. Besides getting engaged that night was so much better then attending a reunion :wink:

I don't even think I'm going to go to my 10 year in November. I still talk to who I know. I had almost 700 kids in my class

My high school is the 3rd largest in New Jersey. We had something like 3000 in our school 10 years ago. My school was so big.

Illumination70:
1) When a former classmate incredulously asks "You're not married yet?" or some version thereof, don't hang your head in shame, look at your party shoes & mumbled, "No" back at them. Look them in the eye, give a wink and answer, "Nope!" Answers the question succinctly, doesn't leave the door open for question & shows you're confident with your life the way it is.

2) If a boneheaded clod thinks the answer to all your happiness is to 'lower your standards', you could answer with, "I couldn't live with myself, much less someone else, if I accepted anything less than the best. I'd rather be patient than miserable." Or, depending on how you feel about the interviewer, you could just say, "See, I thought of that but I'm afraid if I lower my standards I might end up with a loser - like you did!" Then smile and walk away. :up:

My 20th just got cancelled for August.... due to lack of interest. 225+/- kids in my class & they can't generate enough give-a-damn to sell 100 or more tickets. Needless to say, we're not the reminiscing type. :slant:

Back
Top Bottom