The Best Year of My Life (so far)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2fan6313

War Child
Apologies in advance...this is going to be long.

Many of you might remember my threads in the Zoo Confessionals last year about quitting school because of personal issues. And I never updated what happened (except to one person via PM). Basically, I did end up withdrawing from school. I sat around for months in a very bad place going on and off a couple different anti-depressants. In March I started working on my dad's farm for the summer. And I decided to save up to go to Ireland, which has been my dream for years, and basically the only thing I knew I wanted to do with my life.

In summer of course was the tour, providing me more joy than I had ever experienced and desperately needed. I went to East Lansing, Montreal 1 and 2 and Toronto. I met the Edge in Montreal outside their hotel. There was about 20 people there waiting, and Darren came out and told us that Edge was behind schedule and wouldn't have time for pictures but maybe autographs. When Edge came out, he took the time to sign the first row on both sides of the waiting line...almost everyone that was there. He was so incredibly nice. I couldn't say anything intelligent except "thank you" and "thank you so much" over and over again like an idiot. But at least I said that...

IMG033.jpg

After the concerts I continued to save as much money as possible, while weaning myself slowly off my medication because I didn't want to be on them in Ireland. In September, I spent a little of that money at the Toronto International Film Festival. I met Edge again...and Bono. Now, I love all of the members of U2, but Bono is my hero and the thought of meeting him was indescribable.
The way the red carpet for From the Sky Down was set up was a narrow entrance framed but a very long row of gates where people could stand to get autographs and pictures. It was up to the individual star how far they walked along those gates. Bono and Edge, good to their fans as always, walked the whole thing. Edge came around first and signed a picture I had. As soon as I saw Bono I started to cry. He wasn't really stopping to talk to people too much, but our eyes met and he asked me my name, I guess because he could see how emotional I was. I had to say it twice because I was so shaky and he couldn't understand. And then he wrote "Bono 4 Carly :)" on my picture. I cried for the rest of the day and at points the next day as well. The next night I met Davis Guggenhiem (director of From the Sky Down), his wife Elizabeth Shue and Kiefer Sutherland (another of my favourite people). They were all so incredibly nice.

312108_10150800901895790_555150789_20719935_710108569_n.jpg

299843_10150800902280790_555150789_20719940_935431044_n.jpg

309353_10150800903175790_555150789_20719954_555496975_n.jpg

296874_10150800908225790_555150789_20720020_1569763419_n.jpg

On September 26th I left for Ireland. And as I predicted it would be, it was an incredibly amazing and emotional trip. I was there for a month. I felt so alive and so at home there and I had been looking forward to it for so long. Friends of mine were staying at the Clarence on Oct. 8th, the day of the Economic Forum and we were watching it live on TV. They reminded me that Dublin Castle was just a two minute walk away. So I waited near Bono's car with a few other people. When he walked out I was sort of pushed to the back. He was getting in his car, and a man I had been talking to before said "Bono, can you sign her flag?" I had brought with me a Canadian flag that I took to concerts with U2 written in the maple leaf with a heart around it. Bono looked at me and said, "Sure!" We held the flag while he wrote "Bono + Canada 2011" on it. I shakily and very apologetically asked for picture. I really did not want to be a hindrance or make a bad impression. He said "of course" and pulled me in close. When I say he pulled me in, he put his arm around me and pulled me off the curb into the open doorway of his car. He waited for the photos to be taken...and then kissed me with an audible "muuuaahhh" sound. I couldn't believe it. Not only had I gotten a picture with him but he KISSED me. adslfkasjdlfkajsdf just unbelievable. I still have trouble believing it. I know some of you have experienced meeting him, but for those who haven't...it's so hard to describe. I mean...I attribute part of my soul to this man because he's changed my life. So meeting the person you look up to more than anyone is...well...there are no words for it. I only wish I had the strength of mind at the time to tell him thank you for everything. I have yet to accomplish that.

6227790620_01eb8509a4_o.jpg

6227817992_4a8dfdf6e9_o.jpg

_DCS7629-2.jpg

6227303141_80425af055_o.jpg

So...in short, last year was the worst year of my life, giving way to easily the best. I don't know who does, but someone works in mysterious ways and I am so lucky, and so blessed, to have been given those opportunities. It's so difficult to believe they even happened but when I think about it I can't help but smile, and even now, sometimes cry.

I already said on tumblr but I am so happy for you! :hug: I would say this was one hell of a year but this all happened to you in the space of a few months! Very lucky :up:

Wow amazing pics. Bono is amazing. He makes you feel just awesome. :heart::hug:

OMG This kiss pic is killing me. Well done. :hi5:

He asked my name when I met him which was cool but I got no pic like that. Treasure that forever. :heart:

I already said on tumblr but I am so happy for you! :hug: I would say this was one hell of a year but this all happened to you in the space of a few months! Very lucky :up:

Thanks. :) Haha, true. I guess it just feels like it's been longer. And also...regardless of what happens in the next few months that will make it a year, good or bad, it will still be the best year of my life because of what happened. At least I hope so. :shifty: And wait - who are you on Tumblr? Brain malfunction. :huh:

And to everyone else - thank you so much! :hug: :heart:

I have had fun following your Ireland adventures on fb. Those pics are amazing! You deserve so much happiness my dear!:hug::hug::hug:

Wait a sec, which date were you at the Montreal hotel? This seems like the 9th! I was there too and got my setlist signed. :D Was on the other side of you though.

Wait a sec, which date were you at the Montreal hotel? This seems like the 9th! I was there too and got my setlist signed. :D Was on the other side of you though.

Hmm...I was at the hotel before the shows. I think it was the 6th. The 7th I was in the GA line, and then the shows were the 8th and the 9th. So yeah, the 6th. I didn't know you were in Montreal though! Boo. Well...next time. :) And congrats on also meeting Edge. :hug:

Ah, lol then he was late twice. :lol: We got there the day of the 2nd show, security told us he'd be out at 2. Turned up at 5, so we got signatures but no pics. Ah well, I'm happy with what I got. :D

Thanks. :) Haha, true. I guess it just feels like it's been longer. And also...regardless of what happens in the next few months that will make it a year, good or bad, it will still be the best year of my life because of what happened. At least I hope so. :shifty: And wait - who are you on Tumblr? Brain malfunction. :huh:

And to everyone else - thank you so much! :hug: :heart:

kissthefuture :) you're stillhaventfoundwhatimlookingfor, right? :reject:

:lol: Oh, Edge. That does not surprise me. Yeah, there was no time he supposed to be out. But there was a big SVU waiting outside. They put one guitar in it and it drove away. And then half an hour to an hour later Darren came out, and then another half hour after that Edge came out. :D

kissthefuture :) you're stillhaventfoundwhatimlookingfor, right? :reject:

Ooooooh. Haha, yep, that's me! :wave: :hug:

Similar to what happened with us then. Though there were more fans, people were crowded on the opposite sidewalks as well, so security had to step in to make sure they weren't near the car, and we were allowed to walk up. Darren came out first with a green duffel bag(same he brought the day before too, probably some stuff for Edge I reckon), and then later when the cops got there Edge came out.
There was a woman with a newlyborn baby, we let her up front after we all "oohed" and "aahed", security guy did the same(real tough guy, it was so cute to see him melt), and as expected, when Edge came out we said baby first and he did the same. :giggle:

Ha , finally some good times and luck after too much bad times. :hug:
I know how that feels , so I don't need to tell you how lucky you are!
Hope ya stay that way .:up:

There was a woman with a newlyborn baby, we let her up front after we all "oohed" and "aahed", security guy did the same(real tough guy, it was so cute to see him melt), and as expected, when Edge came out we said baby first and he did the same. :giggle:

Awwwwwww. :cute:

Ha , finally some good times and luck after too much bad times. :hug:
I know how that feels , so I don't need to tell you how lucky you are!
Hope ya stay that way .:up:

Thank you so much! :hug: I wish the same amount of luck for you. :)

Back
Top Bottom