Our day at Hampton Court

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jomel10

Babyface
Our day with Bono at Hampton Court

I've got a cool story for you all!!

OK, so yesterday started very normally. At about nineish I got a call from my work colleague who lives about 10 mins from Hampton and she told me that she had heard a rumour that there was a big celebrity do going on at Hampton Court that night and one of the people's names she had heard being banded about was Bono's. I was like, ok, lets check it out so myself, Margaret, Lisa and Patsie headed to the Palace. We spent the morning going round it, the gardens and the maze. It is an amazing place! We asked a security guard if there was a big do going on that day and he told us yes, that it was a Gorbechov (sp) fundraiser and where it was happening. (nice guy!)

So, after looking at the Kitchens and think how Sweeney Todd they were (pork pies everywhere!) we headed to where he directed us, still not really expecting anything at this point. We walked through a big park and saw a large house right at the end of it. There was a very nice speedboat outside and security men. We waited and watched. Then the security man came over to us.

He was lovely and his name was Andy. He wanted to know why we were there? We told him we heard there was a big do on and thought we'd have a look. He asked us whom we wanted to see. We said Bono. Just Bono. He nodded, told us to stand out of the way and said he's see if he could sort something out for us. We told him we were massive fans and he said he could tell! :) He wandered off and we waited some more. He came back about 5 mins later and said it should be fine for us to call out hello and to wait there and see him. Much squeeee. He told us to wait further down a path a bit, keeping out of the way. We did as we were told and then about 10 mins later, Andy walked back over to us but his time, he was with Brian!!!! (Loveliest security man ever!!!!!) We were all so pleased and excited to see Brian. He was as gorgeous as ever. He told us a meeting would be fine as long as Bono wasn't running really late. He also told us to keep back. He would phone Andy when the cars had nearly arrived and Andy would call us forward to meet Bono. We were so grateful and excited. We really hadn't expected Bono to actually be there! We couldn't believe it!

So, this was about 4ish. We waited til 8ish. Lots of very rish people went by, some we recognised and said hello too (Kevin Spacey, Orlando Bloom.) Margaret had to give up at this point as her hubby would be getting worried. That was such a shame cos 5 mins after she left, Andy called us over. :) OMG!

2 silver mercs turned up 5 mins after that. Bono and Ali were in the second car. Bono got out and Andy had a word with him and gestured to us. Bono said "Sure," then walked over to us and said hello. He was in such a good mood. So jokey and relaxed. I stepped forward, said hi and asked him to sign my On the Move book. He said of course and said Bono 2008. Then he asked me my name, I told him, he wrote "4 Jo" and drew me a heart and then grinned at me. I was shaking a bit! I asked him how the album was going and he said really well. Lisa said we were excited about he and he told her that it was great. Then I asked for a photo and he said that was not a problem. He held me so tightly and I leant in so close to him! All the time I was thinking - I cannot believe this! Then Patsie got the booklet from the special addition U218 signed. She was wearing the fish Tshirt and he commented it was cool and that his missus would be chuffed she was wearing it. We were all giggling! :) He wrote love to Patsie on her autograph and gave himself glasses! When she had her photo with him he said, "fish can fly!"" Hee! Then Lisa got her Joshua Tree picture signed. He drew himself a hat and wrote one, two, tree Lisa. She was chuffed with that! We were all so excited! Then, it was over :( We thanked him, he said we were welcome. He then seemed to wait for us to say something but we didn't know what to say. He then said bye and waved and we said bye back. Then he, Ali and Jordan (I think) walked through the gate and were gone. We rushed back to our bags trying not to scrream. It was a posh do afterall! As we were leaving we told one of the security who asked us if we were okay to tell Andy thanks very much. Cos he made our year!!!!!!!!!!

Pics:

Me and Bono:
bonojo.jpg

Lisa and Bono:
bonolisa.jpg

Patsie and Bono:
bonopatsie.jpg

Last edited:
:love:

Wow, you were so lucky. I wish I`d known - I would have come too. Instead I went to Birmingham Imax to see U23D - arghh!!!!

At least I got to see down Larry`s shirt again. Now if he had been there as well I would have been really jealous :scream:

Great photos. :)

OMG, what an AMAZING story, congrats to you and your friends!!!

I didn't think there were any fan meetings going on there. Great story, thanks for sharing!

And WELCOME! :wave:

Pardon a fan girl squeeeeeeee!!!! :hyper: What a wonderful way to meet the man of our dreams! :wink: I'm so happy for all of you!! :hug: Although shame about your friend Margret missing out, I bet she's kicking herself silly right about now!! :rolleyes: Bono really is so wonderful to all of us isn't he, lovely photos!! :love:

It sounds like he hated to have to leave. It's wonderful to see how much he still truly enjoys meeting fans even after so long in the business. He has never become jaded about it and seems to get as much from the encounters as the fans do.

Dana

There were lots of pics from the do in the Evening Standard mag last night but none of Bono. It said that he was a late arrival and also ignored the white tie dress code (do they really expect a rock star to conform :tsk:) but made up for it by getting the crowd to bid a total of £3.6 million in the auction -makes it sound as if was the compere :shrug:
So cool that he took the time to stop to chat to you and take pics even if he was running late, well done :up:

Back
Top Bottom