Bono In Grand Rapids, Michigan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wonderful excerpt... wish there were audio (at least) of the entire speech available. How long did he speak? And was the message well recepted? (It appears to have been on that video, but I'm just curious for a first-person account from some of you who were present.) :up:

r2552012433.jpg

r2578291435.jpg

r2633196094.jpg

r288203148.jpg

r606680097.jpg

Hey guys! Just got back.

We went downtown around 5 because it was a nice day. We walked around a bit, just looking at stuff (I've lived in GR my entire life, but I never go downtown). We went into the Amway and were bored so we got drinks at a sports bar. On our way out, we say this herd of security by the door and they told us we had to go out the front. We went out and around and met up with Beth. While we were talking to a GR Press reporter, Bono pulled up in a black SVU. He entered the Amway at the media entrance. It was so fast, only Erin saw him and there was no way we could've met him b/c he went straight in and it was a special entrance.

Right before dinner, one of the guys at my table was looking for a friend when he saw Bono standing at the front and just walked up to him, introduced himself, and shook his hand. He kept saying "He was so nice, just a regular guy!" My friend and I had to use the bathroom, so we went around, but Bono was seated eating so we didn't bother, however the security told other ladies at our table that he might stick around after to meet people.

The speech was good, the usual stuff. We clapped after every few lines. At the end, we went out near the front door to see if Bono would come out like they said, but he left quickly. Beth was outside and said he left very fast, they just got a wave, and he was off down the street (did not re-enter the Amway hotel).

So then we went to Fridays for some more drinks!

Maybe my name and the others I was with will be in the paper tomorrow. The GR Press guy basically followed us around the entire evening and kept asking questions.

It was good times, getting all dressed up, like for a prom.

I'm not disappoined about not meeting him, I was not expecting too. In fact, I was surprised that he arrived early to speak to the press and that he actually sat down and ate dinner.

Best of luck to those in Dallas tomorrow...

Last edited:
Oh wow! Great story. how far away were you all sitting from him? at least if you didn't get to talk to him you got to eat dinner with him (kinda :giggle: ) must have been so fun. *high five*

Did he look as good as he does in the pics? :drool:

zooperson said:
Oh wow! Great story. how far away were you all sitting from him? at least if you didn't get to talk to him you got to eat dinner with him (kinda :giggle: ) must have been so fun. *high five*

Did he look as good as he does in the pics? :drool:

I was sitting at the far left table in the second to last row. My friends were at the second and third left tables in the second row. The Steelcase Ballroom doesn't go back far, it's long. They had a large screen behind the stage and then another large screen on either side.

Yes, he looked like that, although his suit was more shiny, not really as charcoal as it looks in those pics.

Towards the end if the speech he paused and said "Can I get some water....or some whiskey?" and then someone handed him a water bottle.

Thanks for the links and pics! :up:

And, of course, for the personal stories! :yes: It's good to hear you had a nice evening! :D

Mrs Adam Clayton said:
The was probably one of the best Bono speeches I've ever heard/watched. Very polished.

From the 9 minutes they've put on the net, I think it sounds very much like any other speach on this subject he has given in the last, say 5 years... :shrug: Not that that's bad, don't get me wrong! :)

jobob said:
Here's a link to a story from a Grand Rapids TV station about Bono's appearance in their city tonight:

(God, I love the Internet. And Google. And streaming video.)

http://video.woodtv.com/index.php?video_id=2855

Thanks so much for this! :up: But why stream only part of Bono's speach? :scratch:

And I'm getting used to the short hair but I still think it makes him look older and hopes he grows it out again eventually!! :wink:

thanks for the link.
Yes, pitty it's only part of the speech but at least it something.

So it must be from the first part of the speech, I don't see any bottle of water.
I think he might have liked the wiskey better though :wink:

After watching this again, did he say he just had SARS or am I crazy.
It's right in the beginning after he says some of the audience might have liked him to sing, there is a roar from the crowd and then he says 'thank you , I've just had ??'
:scratch:

greety said:
After watching this again, did he say he just had SARS or am I crazy.
It's right in the beginning after he says some of the audience might have liked him to sing, there is a roar from the crowd and then he says 'thank you , I've just had ??'
:scratch:

:lol:

Greta, I hope you won't get mad at me for posting the :lol:-smilie! Since English isn't my first language either I know how hard it can be to follow a speach like that when you don't have subtitles... but imagining Bono saying he just had SARS was just too funny! :laugh:

What he's really saying is: "Thanks, I've just got started..." :D

Hope that makes a little more sense! :wink:

Last edited:
Well, thanks Merc for not slashing me LOL!
But that is the way it came across twice
:crazy:

Ok, after trying again, with the sound pumped up real loud, I heard it.

Imagine Bono having Sars :coocoo:
I was thinking he just wanted to break the ice but THAT would be a strange way eh? :wink:

BTW how are you doing?
Do you have some time off now, or are you busy working on your Masters?

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
Hey guys! Just got back.

We went downtown around 5 because it was a nice day. We walked around a bit, just looking at stuff (I've lived in GR my entire life, but I never go downtown). We went into the Amway and were bored so we got drinks at a sports bar. On our way out, we say this herd of security by the door and they told us we had to go out the front. We went out and around and met up with Beth. While we were talking to a GR Press reporter, Bono pulled up in a black SVU. He entered the Amway at the media entrance. It was so fast, only Erin saw him and there was no way we could've met him b/c he went straight in and it was a special entrance.

Right before dinner, one of the guys at my table was looking for a friend when he saw Bono standing at the front and just walked up to him, introduced himself, and shook his hand. He kept saying "He was so nice, just a regular guy!" My friend and I had to use the bathroom, so we went around, but Bono was seated eating so we didn't bother, however the security told other ladies at our table that he might stick around after to meet people.

The speech was good, the usual stuff. We clapped after every few lines. At the end, we went out near the front door to see if Bono would come out like they said, but he left quickly. Beth was outside and said he left very fast, they just got a wave, and he was off down the street (did not re-enter the Amway hotel).

So then we went to Fridays for some more drinks!

Maybe my name and the others I was with will be in the paper tomorrow. The GR Press guy basically followed us around the entire evening and kept asking questions.

It was good times, getting all dressed up, like for a prom.

I'm not disappoined about not meeting him, I was not expecting too. In fact, I was surprised that he arrived early to speak to the press and that he actually sat down and ate dinner.

Best of luck to those in Dallas tomorrow...

Thanks for the report :up:

I like the part about, "and then we had more drinks!" :giggle:.

kellyahern said:
same pics, a little bigger :reject:

As Freddie once said:

"The bigger, the better - in everything, dear!" :sexywink:

Thanks for posting Kelly! :D:up:

greety said:
Imagine Bono having Sars :coocoo:
I was thinking he just wanted to break the ice but THAT would be a strange way eh? :wink:

Yes, that would indeed be the strangest ice-breaker I've ever heard... I know you are to expect almost anything from Bono, but breaking the ice by saying he's just had SARS that's just a little too wierd! :wink:

greety said:
BTW how are you doing?
Do you have some time off now, or are you busy working on your Masters?

I'm fine, thanks for asking! :D Nope, no time off, still working, but at home - that's why I can drop in here every now and then when I need a small break! :wink: Right now I'm checking all the interviews I've transcribed to see if everything is correct - it's very boring! :yawn:

I will put up more stories and pics later - maybe I'll have time in the weekend! :yes:

Sorry for going off topic! :reject:

Back
Top Bottom