Bono In Grand Rapids, Michigan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've just been reading through the last 8 pages and I'm at the same time green with envy and happy of those who are going to get to see Bono tomorrow. :ohmy: Look forward to hearing all about it!! :wink:

Last edited:
Well, my truck picked a fine time to need to be repaired :sigh: so I didn't make it downstate, but I scanned in the article from the Grand Rapids Press

It took four scans which became moderately large JPGs- I'll just post thumbnails so those interested can click on them

Headline

picture

page one article

article continued inside paper

Last edited:
jobob said:
Here's a link to a story from a Grand Rapids TV station about Bono's appearance in their city tonight:

(God, I love the Internet. And Google. And streaming video.)

http://video.woodtv.com/index.php?video_id=2855

Hey, thanks for that!

The was probably one of the best Bono speeches I've ever heard/watched. Very polished.

The short hair works for him. The long hair made him look a lot older.

nikkyjade said:
oh it IS Bonita! :love:

:wave:

of course you are sweet!

even the man himself thinks so :wink:

its late! im off to bed....i hope for new pics when i wake! :cute:
xxxxx:heart:

:lol: even the man himself thinks so???

I think Bono don't thought that the day he meet me... maybe... "what's happend with this crazy chick... wow! She can shout loud! "

So...it was a very nice evening in Grand Rapids.
Much bigger crowd than I expected, over 2,000 people, the biggest crowd the Econ Club has ever had. Absolutely gorgeous day, blue skies, cool brreze. People dressed up -- it was black tie optional but lots of men in tuxes, many women in cocktail dresses and suits, even some ballgowns.

Bono arrived at my hotel (the Amway Grand) about 6 p.m. I saw the SUV drive up but there was absolutely no way to get near him. He mentioned during the speech that he came from D.C. They took him right upstairs to a private reception.

He looked very conservative, for Bono. He had on a gray suit that almost seemed like sharkskin, at least that's how he photographed, with a black t-shirt. His hair is very short and he had red sunglasses, and very little stubble. Marked contrast to the last time he went to see Bush when he looked like he had slept in his clothes.

The speech was the standard Bono stump speech -- AIDs, Africa, the One campaign, how much he loves America, etc. He has added Darfur into the mix which seemed new (correct me if he's talked about that in the past.) He is a very good speaker in person. It was a big room, and he was speaking from notes at times, but he was conversational and never boring. It looked great on the big TV screens, and the technies did an excellent job with different shots of him and of the room.

He did not curse (he said "blinking" once) and seemed very serious for long parts of the talk. I can just imagine that if you are in a meeting with him, he is very pursuasive. He referred once to a lyric in "Crumbs from Your Table" -- "where you live should not decide whether you live or whether you die."

And when he mentioned Bob Geldof, he said that he had probably reminded everyone of "We are the World" and he sang two notes of it. But it was not a musical evening, much more a political one.

Now you folks in Dallas get him!

Sad_Girl said:
Well, my truck picked a fine time to need to be repaired :sigh: so I didn't make it downstate, but I scanned in the article from the Grand Rapids Press

It took four scans which became moderately large JPGs- I'll just post thumbnails so those interested can click on them

Thank you very much for the scans!

Hope your truck gets better soon!

:)

Back
Top Bottom