Thinking about going to Dublin.. Hotels, etc help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oliveu2cm

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
Yahh!! my friend and i are planning a trip to Dublin!! but i need some help- any advice on where to stay??? I need something relatively cheap but not slummy! anything else you can tell me? I know there've been 1000 posts about this before but i'd appreciate any help!

thanks!!!

Olive

------------------
Words tangled in her hair.. words soon to disappear

* U2 Take Me Higher *
The Macphisto Society

you might try http://www.hostelireland.com/

I stayed at Jacob's Inn on Talbot Street while I was there and found it a good, servicable hostel. Quite close to the Bonovox shop too.
biggrin.gif

Barnacles and Oliver St. John Gogorty's are really cheap and good quality hostels. En-suit bathrooms, a communal tv room and a shared kitchen. Also they are pretty much next door to the Clarence and Kitchen

thanks guys! there is so much to look up!
we think we found a good hotel south dublin... but we're still looking.

does anyone know if there are any flights/boat etc (i seriously am clueless about this) to get to England for a day or two? is this easy? or too much trouble?

thanksss!

Originally posted by oliveu2cm:
thanks guys! there is so much to look up!
we think we found a good hotel south dublin... but we're still looking.

does anyone know if there are any flights/boat etc (i seriously am clueless about this) to get to England for a day or two? is this easy? or too much trouble?

thanksss!

It's really easy. I live in England and travel to Dublin quite a bit. you can get a boat from Dublin or you can fly. The boats sail to the liverpool area. If you fly you would probably be best flying with Ryan Air. You can get really cheap flights with them to all around England. Last return flight to Dublin with them was ?25.

Hope this helps
smile.gif
If you need anymore advice or help just ask

Uv2001 thanks sooo much

ack! it turns out that the hotel we were looking at is like 12 miles which they put as 40 min ?? outside of Dublin! blarch!

we wanted to stay in a hotel but might have to go w/ the hostel..

did you find that Barnacles and the Oliver St. John are close to the center of Dublin? we want to be able to walk...

thanks so much!!

The two hostels are right in the centre of the city in the temple Bar area. They are just next to the river and all of the shops, bars, St. Stephen's Green and loads of other things. They are also less than 5 mins walk away from a train station where you can get the train to Killiney. It takes about 30 mins on the train and costs 3.10 euro return.

Hope this is helpful to you.

hostels are fine. Really, I've used hostels a lot all over Europe, including Dublin and they are cheaper than hotels and you meet interesting people. No worries.
smile.gif

Originally posted by UV2001:
The two hostels are right in the centre of the city in the temple Bar area. They are just next to the river and all of the shops, bars, St. Stephen's Green and loads of other things. They are also less than 5 mins walk away from a train station where you can get the train to Killiney. It takes about 30 mins on the train and costs 3.10 euro return.

Hope this is helpful to you.

OM you guys have no idea how excited I am!!! I looked at both these hostels on line and they look perfect!

this is all going to come together wonderfully... my friend decided she wouldn't mind taking a trip over to England for a day or a nite, like you had mentioned.... I hate to bother you but if you could give me any advice at all on where to stay, where to go, ANYTHING i'd sooooo appreciate it!!!

THANKS!!

thx 2 sula too! anything you can recommend me seeing?? this might be my only chance to really do this, have a vacation w/ me and my best friend and do ANYTHING we want!

------------------
You say that the river finds the way to the sea...
...and like the river you shall come to me

U2 Take Me Higher
Mr. Macphisto's Mansion

I was there with a few others for Slane and we stayed at a couple of Dublin Hostels. Barnicles (right in the heart of Temple Bar) is nice and comfy but are a bit unorganised and dont be shocked if they stuff up your booking (as they did with us on 2 seperate occasions!).

We also stayed just outside Temple Bar at The Four Courts Hostel. Very nice place, better organised with lovely staff!!

Have a lovely trip and make sure you take in all the great U2 sites that Dublin has to offer!

------------------
"we're free to fly the crimson sky...the sun won't melt our wings tonight..."

Where abouts in England do you want to go. I know compared to America it is tiny but it's still not that small. If you end up near Newcastle we must meet up
smile.gif

What are you more interested in London/city type stuff or the more historical side of the country or countryside or what? Hope I can help.

Where abouts in England do you want to go. I know compared to America it is tiny but it's still not that small. If you end up near Newcastle we must meet up
smile.gif

What are you more interested in London/city type stuff or the more historical side of the country or countryside or what? Hope I can help.

Hmmm... well I've been to London before and really it is a blur now, but I think we saw the Westminster Abbey, oh the British Museum of Fine Arts I saw (is that in London? we went all over england) I know I'd LOVE to see that again. I'd have to ask my friend since it's up to her- she's never been to London and I'll go anywhere. Are there hostels (safe ones, obviously) around that area? Through my travel agent I can book a roundtrip flight from Dub to London for $112. We're so pumped, we're pretty sure we will go to England to. ANything you'd recommend? I know we'll be seeing lots of countryside stuff in Ireland so maybe we should stick to city stuff in London? Unless there's something you'd recommend in England.. Sorry, I know I'm being vague - we haven't had a chance yet to look online and see where we'd like to go. Is Madame Tousseaus (spell) in London, too? I remember I saw Les Mis there, in that theatre built for Les Mis.. ah..
smile.gif
Oh I LOVE history stuff too- so that would be exciting. LOL. i know i'm all over the place. Maybe if you could recommend some good things to see both in the city and in the country then we'll decide where we'dl ike to spend our time. I think if we do this we'll do two days there.
smile.gif
thanks!!

------------------
Well you can bump and grind If it's good for your mind
Well you can twist and shout Let it all hang out
But you won't fool the children of the revolution

U2 Take Me Higher

If you end up near Newcastle we must meet up
smile.gif

I was born and lived in Newcastle till I was 7. Spent lots of time there last year when I was over with my rels. You live in a lovely town!!

------------------
"we're free to fly the crimson sky...the sun won't melt our wings tonight..."

Hmmm... well I've been to London before and really it is a blur now, but I think we saw the Westminster Abbey, oh the British Museum of Fine Arts I saw (is that in London? we went all over england) I know I'd LOVE to see that again. I'd have to ask my friend since it's up to her- she's never been to London and I'll go anywhere. Are there hostels (safe ones, obviously) around that area? Through my travel agent I can book a roundtrip flight from Dub to London for $112. We're so pumped, we're pretty sure we will go to England to. ANything you'd recommend? I know we'll be seeing lots of countryside stuff in Ireland so maybe we should stick to city stuff in London? Unless there's something you'd recommend in England.. Sorry, I know I'm being vague - we haven't had a chance yet to look online and see where we'd like to go. Is Madame Tousseaus (spell) in London, too? I remember I saw Les Mis there, in that theatre built for Les Mis.. ah..
smile.gif
Oh I LOVE history stuff too- so that would be exciting. LOL. i know i'm all over the place. Maybe if you could recommend some good things to see both in the city and in the country then we'll decide where we'dl ike to spend our time. I think if we do this we'll do two days there.
smile.gif
thanks!!

Yeah all that stuffs in London. Have a look for a Travel Lodge website. I think its www.travellodge.co.uk but I'm not sure. The rooms are no 5* hotel with inclusive 3 course meals and all that but they are clean, have a tv, bathroom and coffee making facilities and they are ?39.95 a night for the room not per person and if you are in London you just want a base to go back to to get some sleep not a place to spend all your time in. Just search on the site for London Travel Lodges and there will be maps so you can find out how close they are to everything in the city not that it really matters because the tube will take you anywhere
smile.gif

Hope this helps
smile.gif

thanks UV! we're gonna look at everything on Friday- bookin tickets on Sat!
smile.gif
woohoo!

I have another question about travelling within Ireland... if we wanted to go to the West coast, do you suggest just hopping a bus? or should we go through a tour group?

smile.gif
thx!

------------------
She never really belonged to me

U2 Take Me Higher

!

I have another question about travelling within Ireland... if we wanted to go to the West coast, do you suggest just hopping a bus? or should we go through a tour group?

I would personally recommend just hopping on a bus. It's so easy to get to Galway, the Cliffs or really anywhere on the West Coast. If you are thinking more in terms of The Ring of Kerry, then you may want to consider a car or a tour then, but I myself am not much for tours. Best to travel on your own accord!
biggrin.gif

Have fun!! When are you two off?

Originally posted by sulawesigirl4:
I'd look into a hop-on-hop-off bus service. I hunted around a bit on the net and here are two that look decent to me. Check em out.
smile.gif

www.straytravel.com
www.shamrockertours.com

sula thank you thank you!
smile.gif

angel- thanks! so glad i didn't sign up for a tour.. eh, i had my misgivings about them, too!
we're looking at some time this summer, we have to see when she can get off work!
smile.gif

------------------
She never really belonged to me

U2 Take Me Higher

Cool!

Bus Eirrann (sp?) treated us pretty good and their rates are reasonable. We were there in August and bought our bus tickets the day we travelled. So I imagine, you needn't pre-plan any of it. The bus station is really close to Temple Bar too, easy 10 minute walk.
biggrin.gif

God I can't wait to go back... moving there in September!

let me know if you need instructions to find a certain bass players house
biggrin.gif

BTW - I usually stay at b&b?s, they are not quite as expensice as hotels, but you?ve got a lot more privacy (and security for your stuff) than in hostels. The normal rate is about 50 Irish pounds for a double room (en-suite + breakfast). Let me know and I?ll give you some numbers of nice ones
smile.gif

------------------
I'm a bass player. That's a "singer" question. Lord Adam Clayton

"The bass player's got it. The bass player's fucking got it." Bono, Boston 6-9-01

hey.. what's the easiest way to get from London to scotland? and cheap?LOL
thanks!!!!

I took a train. Sometimes you can get some good deals if you're younger than 26. Check out britrail.com. Bus may be cheaper tho, but it takes longer. I love Scotland! (just had to say that
wink.gif
)

thanks UV! we're gonna look at everything on Friday- bookin tickets on Sat!
smile.gif
woohoo!

smile.gif
thx!

Whatever you do don't rely on our bus service!!!
eek.gif
It's crap and late and....crap! I'd totally recommend renting out a car for the west, you could do the whole cork-kerry-limerick-galway-mayo..donegal if u think u can make it!!! thing in a couple of days!

thanks everyone! phew! finally got plane and hostels booked.. i dunno if $$ will allow us to do scotland too
frown.gif
but we want to tear up the town in london and take our time carousing ireland..

i really appreciate everyone's suggestions as this is my chance to see whatever I want to see and do whatever I want! If you think of anything else lemme know!
smile.gif

Thanks!!!

Hi I would just like to say I have stayed at gogartys and Barnacles and You would be better at gogartys I to was there in August and could not get in at Gogartys so had to go to Barnacles the staff stink I had to move rooms 3 times over the weekend with not much help from the staff. Where when I was at Gogartys the staff will bend over backward for you. Especially when you have had to much drink(hic)

**jezebel jumps in at the last minute**

get yourself a Lonely Planet guide, they cover stuff other travel guides don't.

The hop-on, hop-off buses are great and save your feet.

And don't miss Kilmahain (sp?) Jail and Guiness Brewery, of course.

And have a wonderful time!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom