Teenage U2 fans!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you do, let me know I am going to University Of Miami..

For now, my target city is Miami as well - maybe FIU. I'll let you know...for me it's just speculation since I'm about to enter junior year, and have to start searching for colleges and stuff. I already have listed down three universities - FIU in Miami, USF in Tampa, and California State in San Marcos.

...San Marcos is a long shot, but you never know. :wink:

I applied and got into the University of Miami but they gave me next to nothing for scholarships so I couldn't afford $140,000 in student loans for undergraduate school. No way.

Same goes to FIU, but in reverse. I applied, got in, they gave me near full ride. But I wanted to go to UCF anyways.

And eww USF.

I applied and got into the University of Miami but they gave me next to nothing for scholarships so I couldn't afford $140,000 in student loans for undergraduate school. No way.

Same goes to FIU, but in reverse. I applied, got in, they gave me near full ride. But I wanted to go to UCF anyways.

And eww USF.

That sucks about the University of Miami. I don't really have a plan of where my final destination will be (South Florida I'm hoping for) but I'm gonna have to look for other universities in the East Coast or somewhere else in the US. And I'm only starting to go university searching.

I had the chance to visit FIU on the day of the U2360 show, and I liked it. Very nice university, I had a booklet from FIU that was given out at a college fair years back. I had the chance to visit USF as well when I was in Tampa, but I'm not really sure. Not easy.

The two Universities that people generally fall in love with in terms of the campus, from what I've experienced from other people, are UCF and FSU.

Haven't heard anything bad about FIU or USF.

In the end though people who head up to FSU and UF complain that they're in the middle of nowhere. That or they become typical greek life douchebags.

Ironically, I just finished talking with my dad about colleges. It's going to be my senior year and he's very, very methodical about things. So he's making me write a list of questions to ask colleges (which I already have in my head) and he's buying these books like "The Best 373 Colleges in the US" and it's just not working for me. I know he means the best. I'm an only child and I'm the only chance he gets to do this so he wants to make sure he's doing it right. But the way he's going about it is obsessive and ridiculous. And on top of my summer reading/journals/essays/bullshit, he's making me go through a whole math book basically in order to raise my SAT math grade when I retake them (which I do admit, my math score was shitty at a 390. My critical reading at 550, and writing a 540 which are all set). My mom and dad both are making me apply to schools in Maine even though that is an absolute ultimate last resort for me. I can't wait to get out of here. I just feel absolutely bombarded with this stuff.

I'm sorry, I just had to vent.

I know what you mean...I am so glad I'm done with all that now. I seriously had applying-to-college nightmares months after I was done...

Ironically, I just finished talking with my dad about colleges. It's going to be my senior year and he's very, very methodical about things. So he's making me write a list of questions to ask colleges (which I already have in my head) and he's buying these books like "The Best 373 Colleges in the US" and it's just not working for me. I know he means the best. I'm an only child and I'm the only chance he gets to do this so he wants to make sure he's doing it right. But the way he's going about it is obsessive and ridiculous. And on top of my summer reading/journals/essays/bullshit, he's making me go through a whole math book basically in order to raise my SAT math grade when I retake them (which I do admit, my math score was shitty at a 390. My critical reading at 550, and writing a 540 which are all set). My mom and dad both are making me apply to schools in Maine even though that is an absolute ultimate last resort for me. I can't wait to get out of here. I just feel absolutely bombarded with this stuff.

Damn, that's tough, and some of my friends who are entering their senior year are going through that same thing about their parents telling you where to apply. I've taken the PSAT already, which I did average, which is what my parents don't want me to do - they want the best for me, obviously. I hope to do better in junior year, school-wise (my grades were mostly A & B, with very little Cs) and when I take the PSAT again, and then the SAT - so I can leave the island (universities here are Spanish only, though I'm bilingual, but I speak much more English) - my parents have limits, but my wish is to study in Florida - out of the island, but just a 2 hour flight.

Nothing is set in stone for me - I still have two more years to figure it out. But it's tough.

One thing about the books of best colleges and the sort...

Make it clear to both you and him... collegeboard.com should be your best friend. It has all of the ranks, tuition, fees, acceptance, SAT scores, requirements, deadlines, etc. for every university. It is the status quo.

Which goes to point two... if you want to raise your SAT in math, there are two ways to do it. Taking the test again until you've reached your maximum amount of tries, and lots of studying in actual practice. What I mean by that is that the only way to better yourself for the SAT is to take actual mock SAT tests on your own. There's nothing to 'learn' for the SAT... just to learn how to take it. Most of that test is a gigantic farce where they just want to see if you were reading instructions as opposed to if you know how to do the test. Lots of fooler answers.

Trust me, it's worth it though. You want out of Maine, correct? The best way to do so is get high SAT scores and get into schools where your parents can't refuse the offer!

Make it clear to both you and him... collegeboard.com should be your best friend. It has all of the ranks, tuition, fees, acceptance, SAT scores, requirements, deadlines, etc. for every university. It is the status quo.

Which goes to point two... if you want to raise your SAT in math, there are two ways to do it. Taking the test again until you've reached your maximum amount of tries, and lots of studying in actual practice. What I mean by that is that the only way to better yourself for the SAT is to take actual mock SAT tests on your own. There's nothing to 'learn' for the SAT... just to learn how to take it. Most of that test is a gigantic farce where they just want to see if you were reading instructions as opposed to if you know how to do the test. Lots of fooler answers.

Trust me, it's worth it though. You want out of Maine, correct? The best way to do so is get high SAT scores and get into schools where your parents can't refuse the offer!

Hell, I don't know how much time I've spent on CollegeBoard.com today :lol: My mom has been telling me to do the SAT Question of the Day for a while now, but I should now that it's back to school next Thursday.

I'm looking at my PSAT scores online, and when it converts them to SAT scores, ouch. I guess after looking at that months ago, I knew that high scores really did matter and I couldn't slack off/not give a fuck this year. I'm not a fan of studying, yet I had a 3.2 GPA last year. Laziness. :crack:

Nah, SAT question of the day is probably a waste of time.

It's the whole practice test that you need to do. One question a day is nice, but sitting down and taking multiple questions of multiple difficulties really gives you a feel for what the test is like.

Don't worry about PSATs, they mean nothing and while the test is the same thing as the SAT split in half, they're not indicative of how well you would do. Half the questions = half the room for error. Plus, you probably had no previous experience with those question types. I took the SAT 3 times, and my grades went up every time (probably more out of experience for taking the test than anything else).

I'm not a fan of studying either. I literally did one practice test the night before my SAT that I got my highest grade on...

Nah, SAT question of the day is probably a waste of time.

It's the whole practice test that you need to do. One question a day is nice, but sitting down and taking multiple questions of multiple difficulties really gives you a feel for what the test is like.

Don't worry about PSATs, they mean nothing and while the test is the same thing as the SAT split in half, they're not indicative of how well you would do. Half the questions = half the room for error. Plus, you probably had no previous experience with those question types. I took the SAT 3 times, and my grades went up every time (probably more out of experience for taking the test than anything else).

I'm not a fan of studying either. I literally did one practice test the night before my SAT that I got my highest grade on...

Yeah, I thought the same. One question is not enough, I told her - but then she told me to do practice tests, like you said as well. So I guess practice tests is the way to go. :up: And yeah, I didn't have any experience when I took the PSAT. Have to take it again in October before taking the SAT next year.

Oh just wait and see... that statement becomes x10 more true when you experience a college administration office (and there are many administration offices per University :lol:)

Thanks for the advice!! I took an SAT Prep class at my school as well. I learnt that as you said, the SAT is just a system and you have to learn how to beat it.

And yes, I definitely want to get out of Maine. :crack:

Also, my dad knows about collegeboard.com. And I go on it about every other day. It's extremely helpful.

College isn't free here, but lots of protests have been going on, protesting tuition hikes. $800 fees. :yikes:

Despite state increases of 15% in Florida, there's no reason to be protesting here. It's dirt cheap, and the state supports the students a ton through the state lottery system with Bright Futures. For any student graduating from a Florida high school, so long as you've got some academic merit to you (and they don't ask for much, with all the loopholes and whatnot), they end up covering around 60-75% of that tuition. Graduating with a 4-year degree in Florida debt free is pretty common, whereas in most states even in public institutions they can't say that.

Despite state increases of 15% in Florida, there's no reason to be protesting here. It's dirt cheap, and the state supports the students a ton through the state lottery system with Bright Futures. For any student graduating from a Florida high school, so long as you've got some academic merit to you (and they don't ask for much, with all the loopholes and whatnot), they end up covering around 60-75% of that tuition. Graduating with a 4-year degree in Florida debt free is pretty common, whereas in most states even in public institutions they can't say that.

That's nice - wish they did that here. :lol: Don't plan on studying here - much more opportunities in the US, or at least that's what I think.

You need to get your residency in Florida if you want our awesome tuition rates though. Although, if you apply as an out of state you're more likely to get a scholarship.

But the difference is $4500 vs $20,000 a year.

Seriously? Where do you live? :p

In Poland. Of course I'm telling about public universities (which are here way better and prestigious than private ones).
The government is planning to make a second major payable since next year. It has made me decide to start studying two majors this year (I'm beginning in October) istead of one I planned during high school.

Wages in Poland are really low, so weren't universities free, many talented people couldn't afford to achieve higher education.

You need to get your residency in Florida if you want our awesome tuition rates though. Although, if you apply as an out of state you're more likely to get a scholarship.

But the difference is $4500 vs $20,000 a year.

Hmm, interesting. :hmm:

So, today was my first day of junior year. :huh: As soon as I got in my Algebra II class (first of the day), the teacher started talking about university/college. Literally took up half of the class. Wasn't expecting that so soon, but I know it's going to be mentioned much more as the year goes by.

Nothing like the "normal" life of a teenager. :wink:

That's totally normal for junior year. Nobody would ever shut up about college, my junior year. Ugh. It was annoying, especially when I hadn't decided where to go yet...

Yeah it's starting to hit me too that college is in two years. I'm actually going to camp in Boston, Massachusetts on Sunday to Berklee School of Music to see if I like it. I for certain want to study music in college. I really hope I have a good time and I am counting on it. Everyone else has to go to school for the next five days next week while I am camp. Muahahahaha. :lol:

Err I'm a year into college. In fact, in 10 months I must ban myself from this thread.

Or maybe I'll stay around until I'm like... 21 :lol:

Back
Top Bottom