Russian/Irish U2ers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi Aine! Brian here and I'm from Ireland though I'm at college in Dundee, Scotland right now. So are you Irish or Russian??

I am Australain but of N. Irish decent - don't know if that counts! I have been a massive u2 fan since i was 12. I have been to St. Petersberg and I loved it - i'm going back in September.

Zoomerang,
Of course that counts,and I like your name
very much : it reminds of U2 and Australia
at the same time.
I've become a U2 fan only since I entered the
University,but I hope to make up for lost time.
So you've been to St.Peter's! What were you
doing here?

(My actual name is michael). when I left australia to come to europe in 1997 (im still here), i travelled overland a spent a month in Russia. St Petes was my favourite! What are you studying?

Hi Michael,
I'm a postgraduate and I'm studying Russian medieval history,but I've written my diploma
paper on Irish culture.
Anyhow, at the moment I enjoy driving (as I have my driving test in September...)and horse-riding,and just can't wait to hear U2's new album,too.
What about you and what country are you in,
if that's not a secret ?

Hi Aine! Sorry I'm not russian, but... So you are into Irish culture?? How did that happen, if you don't mind me asking!!? I don't know if you have heard much Irish Traditional music, but I am heavily into it - it runs in the blood. I was just singing in a competition there today, (old style traditional unaccompanied singing) which was pretty nerve wracking. I'm 21 (today!) and studying Architecture in Dundee, Scotland although I'm on a bit of a holiday right now back in Tyrone. BTW ZoomerangII, do you know where your decendants come from in NI?? Where in London are you staying?? Have you been over to this part of the world and if so what do you think?? I'd love to go to both your parts of the world... St. Petersburg looks amazing, from an architectural POV at least and Australia, well, it just seems to be so cool. If only I had money, I'd be over like a shot!
Anyjow, enough of my rambling... Tell me more!

Happy Birthday!

My maternal grandmother is from near Moira, Co Down and the Ausie irish connection on my dads side hale from Dublin (they called me Mickey Joe Butler in Tipperary - although I don't know what that means?)

As for Northern Ireland, I have been there maybe a dozen times , and I can honestly say that I adore the place and everyone I have met (even the unplanned vehicular encounter with the armoured car in Christmas Day... oh well we wont go into that!).

When I have listened to the boys driving around Ulster, even in the middle of winter, well, it almost feels like part of me calls it home...

Hi Brian!
To cut a long story short,it was just like
falling in Love at first sight.
If you're studying architecture,it's an absolute MUST for you to come to St.Peter's,
and take care of your voice because I'm going
to listen to you - I love Irish Traditional
music with all my heart!
Unaccompanied singing - is it what's called
"sean nos"?

Hi Brian!
To cut a long story short,it was just like
falling in Love at first sight.
If you're studying architecture,it's an absolute MUST for you to come to St.Peter's,
and take care of your voice because I'm going
to listen to you - I love Irish Traditional
music with all my heart!
Unaccompanied singing - is it what's called
"sean nos"?

YES!
It is actually called Sean Nos!
It translates simply as "old style"in Gaeilige... wow, you are into this stuff all right!
Well, anyway I was just singing in the next round of that competition I was in, but I came fourth out of fifteen -not bad but not good enough to get into the final! Oh well, maybe next year! Im into it because my grandfather was a truly amazing singer - he had records out and toured america and stuff like that. We are currently working on a CD of his songs, just to keep his memory alive...
And I know that I have to go to St. Petersburg! It looks absolutely stunning as far as I have seen... What is it like living there anyway, amid such elegance and beauty. I do love that style of architecture, so beautifully ordered and proportioned... Harmonious. I always try to create harmony when I design and St. Petersburg is certainly a masterclass in that!
So if you ever want to come over you'll have a place to stay in Ireland! Any fan of both U2 and Sean Nos singing is definitely a friend of mine!!!
LOL
Brian
bthagan@excite.co.uk

BTW, thanks to both of you for your birthday wishes! And where has Zoomerang II gone! I want to hear more about that armoured car encounter!!! Only because I have had one of those myself a couple of years back! Lots of fun (not) especially when you are driving home a load of drunken teenagers (I was a teenager, but not drunk thankfully!)at 3:30 in the morning.......
smile.gif

And Mickey Joe Butler is a cool name - sounds VERY Irish indeed. I don't suppose you passed through Dungannon on your travels?? If you didn't you havn't missed too much! And if you ever feel like going to Dundee in Scotland - well you would be very welcome!! That actually goes for all the other lovely people on this forum!

Is brea liom thu!
Now take a guess what that means!
I truly am impressed at your knowledge and I'm still wondering how you have managed to pick it all up. Surely Irish culture isn't that popular in St. Petersburg!??
Oh, and by the way, youl will have to get me drunk before I'll sing for you! I get incredibly nervous whenever I'm asked to and it takes at least a pint of Guinness to calm me down!!
So if there's anything else about Irish culture etc that you are interested in, feel free to ask!
Bye
BRIAN

I can't claim any special knowledge of either Irish culture or St.Peters architecture ( i've forgotten more than I currently know of Irish things) but I just wanted to say how cool this conversation is to read. i'm fascinated by both Ireland and Russia.

The internet is so cool.

well mrbth I am back, i have been up in lincoln for past week. I would be more than happy to share in a pint of guiness if it got you up singing.

As for armoured car encounter, it was boxing day '98 and just after I picked it up from the rental place in belfast. I went down the wrong way down a one way street, straight into the path of an RUC armoured vehicle, realised and did a quick uturn but too late, they thought I was doing a runner, they cut me off and was surrounded by RUC officers with weapons!!! Not bad for my first driving experience in europe!

As for dungannon, I have been there. Although mostly past it on the way to Omagh. I was actually working there for a bit last year - there was a car accident (fatality) on the A1 services at Drumgormal (you know the BP one?) I had to check out cause an oil tanker went over... it wasn't related to smuggling though.

Anyway next time i am up in scotland we will have to have a wee pint or three - i may join you in a duet (not! when it comes to singing, i missed a few irish genes somewhere!).

Maybe we should all meet up in st petersburg on an architectural tour. Aine can be our guide?

Sounds good to me!!
smile.gif

And I know the BP station only too well. That whole stretch of road is a total deathtrap. I clearly remember that happening - tha oil tanker etc... How come you were called out to it??
And by the way, Whiteflag! Thanks for your comment... Why don't you tell us a bit about yourself and then you can come to St. Petersburg with us too!!!

Brian

Actually i think it was in 1998. yeah i have a strange job that meant I was there because some oil was spilled, and that is what i do (manage environmental cleanups of oil spills). It was really sad with the young lady - did you know her? i guess fortunately i wasn't there for the rta.

and thanks for the compliment whiteflag.

Thanks whiteflag

So you already arranged everything while I was away !

DIA DUIT,A BHRIAIN !
Conas ta tu ?
THAT MEANS "A GUINESS FOR A SONG" OF COURSE !
Ta moran Gaeilige agat cheana,by the way... well,of course you do!)

Hello,Michael.I love the idea and I've got one more person to invite(an American of Irish descent).
The only thing is that I'll be scared to open my mouth in the presence of MR.ARCHITECT himself !!!

By the way,I already see you both having a
good time in Scotland and I feel so sorry for
myself I cannot even put it into words(even though I don't drink much)!Mne tak grustno...

Whiteflag,thanks a lot and don't worry - if you join us,you're going to be an expert in both Irish culture and St.Peter's architectu-
re and speak both languages(that's for sure!)

Slan !

Oh, and scared you should be because I'd use all my expertise to shoot down your opinions at every opportunity!
smile.gif
That's me, not Mr Architect, just Mr Bastard! :p
Well actually, I'm just a waster who pretends to know what I'm talking about!! Especially where the Irish language is concerned!!! I did it for GCSE when I was 16 - got an A but promptly forgot most of it since I wasn't in practice... It looks like you could teach me a thing or two...!
You still havnt told me where you have got all this from! Tell me now!
BTW I highly reccomend the chatroom on interference. I had a great time there last night! Maybe see you there sometime!
As for you Zoomerang, sounds like an interesting job! Is that why you seem to be jetsetting all over the place??? I didn't know that particular girl ( I think she was from Omagh) but I have known others killesd on that same stretch of road. Just one month ago three young guys were killed right across the road from the KFC. They need to do something about it cos people go too fast just there with it being at the end of the motorway....
Hmmmm, I guess thats the way it goes...

Gotta cheer up now! I think I'll practise my singing just for you lot!

Don't know. feeling just a bit intimidated.

I'm one of those types who knows just enough "to be dangerous" about alot of things. I'm an expert in none. So I know enough about Russia to have some ignorant opinions which I'm sure would be immediately but kindly, I'm sure, corrected by Aine. As far as Ireland goes, I was there eight days last year but I've written reams of blather about it out of all proportion both here and on other forums, and i've read quite a few works of fiction set in Ireland which gives me the barest notion of Irish history and culture. But one thing is for sure. I'm fascinated by both countries and would love to get my information about them "straight from the horses mouth" as we say here in America. Yes, I'm American and I'll occasionally rise to its defense but most often I let things pass. I'm not real patriotic I guess. i'm also from Texas but I'll soon to be outta here because i don't like it very much. I'll be moving to Ireland for a period of time coming this October and i plan to start the first U2 fan colony in the world there..Just kidding..(but can't you just see that happening some day? God help the Irish should that ever happen
wink.gif
)

Yes Aine. I really want to know how you came to know so much Irish in Russia. Heck, I'd like to know how you became fluent in not just one foriegn language, but two.

So when are we all flying to St. Petersburg?

And I can't wait to learn about that Irish singing form. I've never heard of it and i keep a pretty good eye on the cultural happenings of that fair Isle of yours MrBTH. Is there a way to describe it that I'd understand? or would you have to show me?

And you are all welcome
biggrin.gif

------------------
There is but one flag...

Sorry to butt in, guys, but this IS a really interesting conversation!
Is that Sean Nos singing the sort of thing you see with Riverdance? (That is pretty much my sole source of Irish musical tradition!) I love Riverdance...

Hi there !

Whiteflag, you sound really interesting.You
may find it funny,but in Russia we used to see Texas in the romantic light - the cowboys
and so on.Where do you want to go in Ireland?

Patience,Brian,patience.The answer to your
question (concerning my knowledge of the Irish language)is not just simple - it is VERY simple...
And of course no one who understands the beauty of St.Petersburg can be called a waster!

sorry not irish or russian but SCOTTISH but a celt anyway
i just love u2 and have for many years

Back
Top Bottom