Random Gathering (AKA "SF* 2007") In London, ON July 20-22nd - Details Inside

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
DaveC said:

I'm seriously up for this seafood feast. Hell, I'll even cook if someone's got a barbecue I can get my hands on for an afternoon, I have a recipe for shellfish & lobster, all cooked in the same pan on the BBQ on a bed of wet seaweed - the seaweed steams the shellfish and lobster, and all you need to do is toss it all in a big pan and leave it on the grill for a couple hours :drool::drool:

Done and done :D
IMGP1223.jpg

DaveC said:

Yeah, but it's only a couple hours' drive from Detroit. :whistle:
:shifty::wink:

Oh that kind of import :wink:

I could probably think of one myself!

DaveC said:

I'm seriously up for this seafood feast. Hell, I'll even cook if someone's got a barbecue I can get my hands on for an afternoon, I have a recipe for shellfish & lobster, all cooked in the same pan on the BBQ on a bed of wet seaweed - the seaweed steams the shellfish and lobster, and all you need to do is toss it all in a big pan and leave it on the grill for a couple hours :drool::drool:

:sad: I doubt I'd be able to eat it cooked that way....I developed a deathly allergy to crustaceans around my 19th birthday...so I can only eat mollusks and fish now...the lobster would fuck me up royally..lol..I'm hoping to do an allergy test before summer as I was quite depressed last year when I couldn't eat lobster at the lobster supper :( apparently you can outgrow the allergy just as easily as grow into it...

No biggie, I'll bring an extra pot and just throw extra mussels, onion, pepper, a liberal splash of Keiths etc on top of whatever fire is handy...beach style! ;)

DaveC said:

Sounds yummy. :drool: :drool: :drool:

Can I be the grillmaster's assistant? :wink:

DaveC said:

Yeah, but it's only a couple hours' drive from Detroit. :whistle:

:shifty::wink:

:whistle:

Last edited:
Headache in a Suitcase said:
looks like i'll be either in the middle of or getting ready to move right around the time of el festo de sloot, so i don't know how feasable it's gonna be anymore... still gonna give it a shot though

Remember the pout in NY, Shannon, remember the pout *pouts*

Alright, I guess if you're serial about still trying to make it, that's all we can really ask for. :up:

So where are you moving to?[/nosey] :D

not far... still on long island. one of two different places in the general hicksville/jericho area... if it's the prefered place, i'll be moving in likely in late june/early july, and it will be significantly cheaper... thus improving the odds of going to el festo de sloot. if that doesn't happen, then i won't be moving till the end of july/early august, and it'll be a tad more pricey.

problem is i won't know for sure which one till early june... thus then, i'm a maybe till then.

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:

Alright, I guess if you're serial about still trying to make it, that's all we can really demand. :up:

:wink:

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:

Sounds yummy. :drool: :drool: :drool:

Can I be the grillmaster's assistant? :wink:

:whistle:

I'll have an apron with your name on it!

This is great - with all these volunteers I won't have to do anything all weekend :relax:

Mr. BAW said:
Would Like To Be Referred to From Here On As Cheap Bitch - Headache

Pussy Tease - Headache

Got His Nuts In A Jar - Headache

:lol:

:lol: aaannd I think we just got ourselves an Official Attendance Tracker - Thanks Mr. Baw :flirt:

gabrielvox said:

:sad: I doubt I'd be able to eat it cooked that way....I developed a deathly allergy to crustaceans around my 19th birthday...so I can only eat mollusks and fish now...the lobster would fuck me up royally..lol..I'm hoping to do an allergy test before summer as I was quite depressed last year when I couldn't eat lobster at the lobster supper :( apparently you can outgrow the allergy just as easily as grow into it...

No biggie, I'll bring an extra pot and just throw extra mussels, onion, pepper, a liberal splash of Keiths etc on top of whatever fire is handy...beach style! ;)

Well, there's no actual water involved in this. it's just beds of seaweed in a turkey roasting pan, it can be arranged that the shellfish and the lobster don't actually touch, unless you think something might happen with the steam. :shrug: Even if that's the case, it definitely wouldn't be any trouble to throw another pot on.

So does this mean you're definitely in Gabe? :up:

April, you can be my assistant, but there isn't much grilling actually going on...I'm sure we can figure out something for you to do, though. :sexywink::laugh:

FYI to everyone: I'll bring up the Maritime seafood (believe me - those of you who have never had it will be amazed at how much better it is than anywhere else), but that amount of food for as many people as are going to be there will get pricey, so a little closer to the summer if we're still thinking about this, we'll have to figure out a way to get at least some of the cost to me. It'll be high seafood season in July, though, so the prices will be way down. If we were to do this now in March, it'd be at least a few hundred beans - we get good lobster, but when it's not in high season we pay a premium price for it. :huh:

ETA: The recipe also has corn on the cob, new potatoes, and sweet onions for everyone too, in case anyone doesn't want to/can't eat seafood.

Corn on the cob & new potatoes :drool::drool:

Damn, summer needs to get here in a hurry...

Last edited:
snowbunny, which area of London are you in (roughly)? Thought about what bars/pubs/restaurants you wanna hit up that weekend?

Quite close to downtown. I was thinking parts of Richmond (Maybe Mollys, Barneys, Frog, Brass Door, 181 for those inclined, Kools and all that) and King. The usual suspects with more pubs than bars I guess. Mexis et al. patios basically for restaurants. Ideally places that are walking distance for me :D

Suggestions are welcome...

snowbunny00774 said:
Quite close to downtown. I was thinking parts of Richmond (Maybe Mollys, Barneys, Frog, Brass Door, 181 for those inclined, Kools and all that) and King. The usual suspects with more pubs than bars I guess. Mexis et al. patios basically for restaurants. Ideally places that are walking distance for me :D

Suggestions are welcome...

I haven't been in downtown London for years - how close are any of those to the VIA station/hotels etc? People from out of town are going to need to be able to stumble back to their hotels after all :wink: (Or at least be a reasonable cab ride away *g*)

The VIA is not really close to Richmond row (not walking distance anyway at 2 am) but the cab shouldn't be more than like $6-8 so it's not exactly expensive.

Molly's is my favourite. The Frog is good when there are no undergrads (and I love their 2nd floor patio). TJs also has a nice upstairs patio. Barneys is nice outside in the summer. I really like the Taphouse if you're into a club/lounge/dancing mood rather than a pub. So long as we avoid Ceeps, Salt Lounge, the Phoenix we are okay. Those are totally sketchy and gross.

The Honest Lawyer has yard beer which may appeal to some, I suppose...

Drea said:

I haven't been in downtown London for years - how close are any of those to the VIA station/hotels etc? People from out of town are going to need to be able to stumble back to their hotels after all :wink: (Or at least be a reasonable cab ride away *g*)

They are all downtown - so walking or a very short cab ride. The VIA station is just on York, but a lot of hotels are in the south end, along Wellington. While there are restaurants there, not so much bars.

Hotels downtown :
Comfort Hotel - Downtown

Address: 374 Dundas Street
London, Ontario, N6B 1V7
Phone: 519-661-0233
Toll Free: 877-553-9992
Fax: 519-661-0786
Delta London Armouries Hotel

Address: 325 Dundas Street
London, Ontario, N6B 1T9
Phone: 519-679-6111
Toll Free: 800-668-9999
Fax: 519-679-6397
Hilton London Ontario

Address: 300 King Street
London, Ontario, N6B 1S2
Phone: 519-439-1661
Toll Free: 800-210-9336
Fax: 519-439-9672
Idlewyld Inn

Address: 36 Grand Avenue
London, Ontario, N6C 1K8
Phone: 519-433-2891
Toll Free: 877-435-3466
Fax: 519-433-2891
London Executive Suites Hotel

Address: 362 Dundas Street
London, Ontario, N6B 1V8
Phone: 519-679-3932
Toll Free: 800-265-5955
Fax: 519-679-6526
Residence Inn by Marriott - London Downtown

Address: 383 Colborne Street
London, Ontario, N6B 3P5
Phone: 519-433-7222
Toll Free: 877-4R SUITES (477-8483)
Fax: 519-433-7223
StationPark All Suite Hotel

Address: 242 Pall Mall Street
London, Ontario, N6A 5P6
Phone: 519-642-4444
Toll Free: 800-561-4574
Fax: 519-642-2551

There are lots more hotels esp. along the Wellington rd. strip, and they would be about $15-20 cab.

anitram said:
So long as we avoid Ceeps, Salt Lounge, the Phoenix we are okay. Those are totally sketchy and gross.

Absolutely - they were not even in the running - neither was Jacks, or Old Chicougars :yuck:

Yeah - The Yard at the lawyer is pretty fun :) haven't been there in a while though.

VIA was the first landmark I thought of as it's all I see of London anymore while heading to Chatham to visit the 'rents :lol:

"Yard beer"?

So is Richmond Row getting towards Western or am I thinking of the wrong part of town?

Back
Top Bottom