New York St. Patrick's Day Gathering, Part Two

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
NSW, your name always gets A Sort of Homecoming stuck in my head. I'm sure I'm not the first person who's said that. It's not a bad thing, it's one of my favourite tracks. :)

Anyone want to hit a sporting event while we're there, in the vein of the Phillies game we saw last year? Here's what I've got for possibilities:
New York Knicks vs. New Orleans/Oklahoma City Hornets - Fri. 16th, 7:30 PM
New York Knicks vs. Toronto Raptors - Sunday 18th, 12:00 Noon
New York Rangers vs. Boston Bruins - Saturday 17th, 7:00 PM (this might be a good pre-drink, if there's an okay bar at MSG - I've never been)

My first choice would be the Raptors game, obviously. But it is in the middle of the day, and I don't know how compatible being in Madison Square Garden would be with a wracking hangover. :hmm:

Anybody have any thoughts? If we have enough interest it might be something worth looking into, but if people want to spend their time elsewhere that's cool too. :)

DaveC said:
(this might be a good pre-drink, if there's an okay bar at MSG - I've never been)

you can't afford a hotel and you want to get liquored up at MSG? :lol:

In reality, I would LOVE to go to a Rangers game (nver been)...I think it is tough to get tickets though, no (growing up, I know tickets were always difficult to get)? Current Tri-state area residents?

I can swing Rangers tickets...but, I can only get about 4, anything bigger would be difficult and impossible to promise. Someone let me know if I should get 4 for Saturday....I'd be willing to go to the game, have not been to a Ranger game in ages.

count me out for the hockey...I'm saving my money for beer.

they're showing the Glasgow Celtic match (aye, football...umm, soccer whatever) at The Parlour (a Celtic supporters pub uptown) at noon. It's not a major match but with it being St Paddy's day the atmosphere will be amazing in the pub. Since tiddlywinks is probably more popular than football in this country I don't expect a stampede from y'all wanting to go. I understand.

plus, my kilt will get crushed sat in those ickle chairs up in the God's at MSG!

ewen said:
count me out for the hockey...I'm saving my money for beer.

they're showing the Glasgow Celtic match (aye, football...umm, soccer whatever) at The Parlour (a Celtic supporters pub uptown) at noon. It's not a major match but with it being St Paddy's day the atmosphere will be amazing in the pub. Since tiddlywinks is probably more popular than football in this country I don't expect a stampede from y'all wanting to go. I understand.

I might take you up on that. That would be awesome. You happen to know who they're playing?

UberBeaver said:
Oh, zoney - if you can't swing the Rangers tix, the Islander's tix are ALWAYS available.

Yeah, Beav, everyone's dying to head out to Nassau.

:)

And I'm an Isles fan, pre-80's in fact.

Will be convenient to see a game at MSG Sat night then head on over to the show. The more I think on it, the more I think I'll do this for sure, so, if anyone wants to join me, let me know.

UberBeaver said:

I might take you up on that. That would be awesome. You happen to know who they're playing?

That'd be cool. They're scheduled to play Falkirk on the 17th in a Scottish Premier League match. However, it's dependent on the result of Falkirk's CIS Cup semi-final match next Tuesday. The final of the CIS cup is on March 18th and if Falkirk reach the final then the league match against Celtic will have to be rescheduled for another day. So there's the possibility that there will not be a match at all on St Patrick's Day. Other than the football/soccer, The Parlour will have other entertainment and bands playing that weekend. Their website, www.theparlour.com, is currently being reworked and will be launched later this week with a St Patrick's Day entertainments schedule.

DaveC said:
I posted my flight itinerary that I'm going to be booking this week in my journal, in case anyone's interested.

:madspit: :wink:

you know I'm banned from entering that zone!

:der: Forgot. Here it is.

So I finally got the thumbs-up from my parents for a little bit of cash, and here's the flight itinerary I'm going to be booking in the next day or two (once my credit card payment goes through), in case anyone's interested.

Halifax-NYC - March 16th
AC663
Halifax (departing 7:30 am) - Montreal (arriving 8:09 am)
AC8692
Montreal (departing 10:30 am) - New York-La Guardia (arriving 11:58 am)

NYC-Halifax - March 19th
AA4615
New York-JFK (departing 10:40 am) - Halifax (arriving 1:35 pm)

:up:

I think I should be able to figure out how to get from La Guardia to Halsey Street Station. I'm working on that now thanks to a helpful Google Earth NYC Mass Transit program. :)

Good thing you told me about that site, or I would never have figured it out!

I need to get on the M60 bus, then transfer to the N train, then to the G subway and finally the L. Welcome to New York. :crack:

But it'll be interesting, though! In all likelihood I'll just drop my stuff off at your place and then go wander. I figure I'll be sure to find something to do, at least until people start to arrive in greater numbers. I think I'll be one of the first to arrive on Friday. But if anyone else is in town/not at work then, let me know and I'll come find you. :)

NSW, I think I might take you up on the Rangers tickets offer...I've never been to an NHL game (well, besides an exhibition), and free tickets to a Rangers game at MSG is awfully tough to pass up. Put me down as a "definitely maybe" for now, and I'll let you know a little closer to March what the deal is. :hmm:

DaveC said:

if anyone else is in town/not at work then, let me know and I'll come find you. :)

I'm an alien* and can't work at present. That's probably not going to change before March so I'll be free to meet up with folks during the day before the weekend.

* yes, legal!

DaveC said:

NSW, I think I might take you up on the Rangers tickets offer...I've never been to an NHL game (well, besides an exhibition), and free tickets to a Rangers game at MSG is awfully tough to pass up. Put me down as a "definitely maybe" for now, and I'll let you know a little closer to March what the deal is. :hmm:

Sounds good....if something better comes along, you should do it, cos while it's a cool venue and all, there are so many other things you could be doing. Then again, I forget that it is the World's Most Famous Arena. :) Jeff, you need to let me know if you want in, are a maybe, a no, etc.

ewen said:

I'm an alien

17332759_d688f80368.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom