New York St. Patrick's Day Gathering, Part Two

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Headache in a Suitcase said:
everyone have better ideas as to when they're getting into town, how long they're staying, where they're staying, etc. etc.?

I have an idea. I can make up a contact list for everyone, including cell #'s, when they're arriving/leaving, and where they're staying at.

Everyone who's coming can PM or e-mail me with their info ( popangel @ gmail dot com) and I'll be more than happy to compile it, then send to everyone right before that weekend. :)

Urggggh... I'm going to have to downgrade myself to a maybe at this point. A family member's birthday party is that weekend which I just found out this weekend. :sigh: I won't know for sure that I am coming until March. I'll still purchase the ticket at the place but other than that it's wait and see. :slant:

everyone have better ideas as to when they're getting into town, how long they're staying, where they're staying, etc. etc.?

Our plan right now is to arrive evening of the 15th & depart midday on the 21st. Where we're staying is still being debating, but we're leaning heavily to a place on E. 39th.

I'll email all the particulars once they're set. :up:

:hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

so i'm all lost because i've been all busy and stuff ... i'm arriving by train and staying with my friend and her boyfriend, but do i need to purchase a ticket of some sort?

i assume i do ... what am i supposed to do again?

Irvine511 said:
so i'm all lost because i've been all busy and stuff ... i'm arriving by train and staying with my friend and her boyfriend, but do i need to purchase a ticket of some sort?

i assume i do ... what am i supposed to do again?

Yep, if you want to get into the show Saturday :sexywink:

Shannon said the links were down but I'm sure they'll be back up soon.

Ok, as for the list, I'm collecting the info. This isn't a must, if you wanna be anonymous and such that's cool, too, but if you want to hook up with the rest of us, numbers may be required. :flirt:

Is it worth the time and cost to do the usual touristy things (Empire State Bldg, Statue of Liberty, etc.) in New York, or should I not bother in only a weekend?

DaveC said:
Is it worth the time and cost to do the usual touristy things (Empire State Bldg, Statue of Liberty, etc.) in New York, or should I not bother in only a weekend?

It's always worth the time and cost, in my opinion...why go all the way there and not see something NYC-ish. If you at all like museums, hit one of those.

if you've never been to a huge city like new york (like chicago, LA, etc.) then yea, i'd do the touristy things... esp. the empire state bulding... the view from the top really is amazing. i've lived in the area my entire life and i've never been to the statue of liberty, but i'm sure it's lovely or somethin'. seen it a million times, looks nice and all, just never been there. :shrug:

really though you can get lost just walking the streets of manhattan... not lost lost... figuratively speaking (getting lost in the literall sense is actually quite hard thanks to the lovely perks of the grid system... streets go up in number as you head north, avenues go up in number as you head west... if you end up in the south bronx, you're on your own)

the date was taken off uf2.com temporarily as an attempt to drive up attendance at a show this friday at a brand new room, but the dates will return to uf2.com saturday afternoon (or sunday if the webmaster gets to drunk friday). in the meantime...

http://www.bbkingblues.com/schedule/moreinfo.cgi?id=2601

that's the link for the show it's self... 20 bucks a ticket is pricey for a tribute band, even i admit that... normaly it's a 10 dollar cover at your local pub, but being on st. patrick's day and all, and considering they've sold the place out 2 years running, bb's is trying to get as much as they can.... capitalism at it's finest.

everyone can e-mail either myself or my lovely assistant miss rail skank #69 the afformentioned information.

as for myself... on march 15th i have, um, a retreat i guess you could call it ... basicaly work is paying for us to go out east on the island, get drunk and build a more cohesive working environment or some shit like that... free room, free booze, i'm there. i need to work on the 16th for a few hours, done at 3... (it's about a 45 minute local train ride from where i work to penn, 25 if i can catch an express). st. patrick's day it's self, i'll be in manhattan by, oh, 10am-ish, and will be staying in the city overnight.

the pre st. patrick's day plans could change a little if the varsity basketball team gets into the state tournament (i coach the JV's and assist the varsity), but i will be there around 10ish on st. patrick's day regardless... they can handle practice without me for a day.

Yeah, I think I'm going to try to get up the ESB at some point, if I can avoid a massive line-up. I won't be upset if I leave NYC without having set foot on Liberty Island, though, since it's quite a bit out of the way.

I'm trying to work out whether or not I can afford to stay until Monday morning and use Sunday to do some sightseeing. My only options for flights on Sunday are either overnights where I spend Sunday night in Logan Airport or I can leave at 9 am the morning after St. Pat's - the chances of me being able to make it to the airport at 7:30 am that day are slim to none, to say the least.

I've also got word that I might have someone to help me out with paying for all this, so I've got to talk to her first before I finalize everything.

:hmm:

Last time we went to NYC we did a boat tour of the island. It was good because you cover alot of ground. The bus tour might be fun as well. We also plan on seeing stuff that we didn't see last time. ESB was foggy when we went up so this time, we are going up if its clear.

martian.gif

DaveC said:
Yeah, I think I'm going to try to get up the ESB at some point, if I can avoid a massive line-up. I won't be upset if I leave NYC without having set foot on Liberty Island, though, since it's quite a bit out of the way.

I'm trying to work out whether or not I can afford to stay until Monday morning and use Sunday to do some sightseeing. My only options for flights on Sunday are either overnights where I spend Sunday night in Logan Airport or I can leave at 9 am the morning after St. Pat's - the chances of me being able to make it to the airport at 7:30 am that day are slim to none, to say the least.

Statue of Liberty is cooler to do then the ESB. And it's not really out of the way, you take a ferry from Manhattan, but it does take an hour at least.

Also, the airports are a bit away from Manahttan, both are in Queens (Newark is in New Jersey). And there's no real mass transit to either. The subway to JFK sucks. You can take the Long Island RailRoad to JFK, but I don't know the schedules. LaGuardia is even more of a pain. Cabs are your best bet to any three airports. Without traffic, 20 - 30 minutes tops. With traffic...lol.

I agree with Beav...I've done the ESB and the Statue of Liberty, and would recommend the latter to anyone. But both are worth it. And as Headache said, just wandering around the city itself is worthwhile. You're gonna get a million suggestions, Dave, so, think about what's really important to you and focus on that. For me, if I had 1 day to spend in the city, I'd go to the Metropolitan Museum of Art, stroll around there for a few hours, then go into Central Park, which is right behind the museum, and stroll around the park. But, that's me and if you ask 100 NY'ers what to do, you'll get 100 answers. Just do something, and, if you can stretch it out, you really should stay on Sunday.

I'll PM LMPA my exact info, but I think I get into town the Wed night before St. Patty's. Will just relax at home on Thursday and have dinner with my parents. The rest I'm playing by ear.

i would recommend walking around Greenwich Village and the West Village, the whole area around NYU. if you've got the time, St. Mark's Place is still pretty cool, and it's interesting to see 1977 commodified, and there are some wonderful curry places in and around there.

i think time is much better spent walking than "sightseeing," though who knows -- i've been going to NYC since i was a baby, and i've never been up in the ESB.

:shrug:

I've lived in NYC for most of my life, and have never been to the ESB or the Statue of Liberty.

Hopefully if its nice out, you guys can go ride around Midtown on the horse and carriages or the bike taxis.

Also, if you go to the Metropolitan Museum of Art, and go to Central Park right behind it, you get a good glimpse of Bono's apartment.

UberBeaver said:

The subway to JFK sucks. You can take the Long Island RailRoad to JFK, but I don't know the schedules. LaGuardia is even more of a pain. Cabs are your best bet to any three airports. Without traffic, 20 - 30 minutes tops. With traffic...lol.

huh? JFK to Manhattan is a breeze on the subway.

Dave, if you're coming from JFK, you just get on the Airtrain & then 'transfer' (although it's not technically a transfer) to the subway (the 'A') at Howard Beach station. Take the 'A' to Broadway Junction and transfer to the 'L' to Halsey Street, which is where we're at, if you want to dump your bags off at our apartment. You then get back on the 'L' to get to Manhattan.

La Guardia will certainly be a pain via bus & subway but is definately doable (I can provide instructions).

Last edited:
There is a round trip bus service from LGA and JFK that is about $20 and will get you to midtown fairly quickly (I used it on my last day trip to NYC).

I grew up within a rooftop view of the Empire State Building (I have NEVER seen it called "ESB" :yuck: ). I LOVE visiting the building. As for the statue of Liberty...never done it (again, grew up there, had hundreds of visitors to our house over the years, but never got there...WEIRD).

Like many from the area, I loved going to the area around NYU (Irvine mentioned this) and still love going to the museums (I will forever adore my parents for dragging us to all of the NYC museums).

South Street Seaport is neat too, as well as the Wall Street area (downtown to the Bowery).

Headache...what is going on with the Nimitz?

So..if we, hypothetically, land at JFK at 5:05 pm on a Thursday, what time shall I expect to get to my hotel at Bryant Park (5th Street at E. 8th Avenue) ???? or is it 5th Avenue at 8th Street...its at Bryant Park for sure.

Pearl said:
I've lived in NYC for most of my life, and have never been to the ESB or the Statue of Liberty.

Hopefully if its nice out, you guys can go ride around Midtown on the horse and carriages or the bike taxis.

Also, if you go to the Metropolitan Museum of Art, and go to Central Park right behind it, you get a good glimpse of Bono's apartment.

You should go to the Statue of Liberty, then, Pearl. It's more than just a tourist attraction.

Yeah, when I mentioned the Metropolitan Museum of Art, forgot to take Bono into account, how silly of me. :)

Horse and Carriage ride is nice for a romantic evening, but during the day? I'd not go that route. NYC is a city to be walked, in my opinion.

See, Dave? Everyone from there has a different suggestion. It's a vast place with an insanely large variety of things to do....basically, you cannot go wrong.

I'd recommed AirTrain to Long Island Rail Road to Penn Station (34th and 8th). Depending on your bag situation, a walk to Bryant park (in between 6th and 5th and 41st and 52nd - I used to work at the real tall building across from there , flip it the bird for me. They fired Numb :angry:) is about 15 minutes. If you just have a couple of drag bags, it's a nice walk. Otherwise cab it.

You should be able to do it in an hour or so, without baggage claim. Airtrain runs frequently. Catching a train from Jamaica (LIRR) to Penn Station at that time should be quick.

everyone can e-mail either myself or my lovely assistant miss rail skank #69 the afformentioned information.

as for myself... on march 15th i have, um, a retreat i guess you could call it ... basicaly work is paying for us to go out east on the island, get drunk and build a more cohesive working environment or some shit like that... free room, free booze, i'm there. i need to work on the 16th for a few hours, done at 3... (it's about a 45 minute local train ride from where i work to penn, 25 if i can catch an express). st. patrick's day it's self, i'll be in manhattan by, oh, 10am-ish, and will be staying in the city overnight.

It's my pleasure to help. :flirt:

That retreat thing sounds like an episode of The Office just waiting to happen. You should bring your camera. :lol:

I find out tonight (Wednesday) if I can get some cash to help pay for this thing, if I do, I'm in for sure. If not, it's a toss-up. Either way, I'll know by dinner time tonight. :hmm:

originally posted by No Spoken Words
You should go to the Statue of Liberty, then, Pearl. It's more than just a tourist attraction.

I plan to do that this summer. Liberty Island is one of those things that I keep saying I'll do, but never seem to!

I spent some time online last night reading up on things to do and how to get around in NYC, which only got me even more excited. :hyper:

Ewen, is the neighbourhood you and Abby live in called Bushwick? I guessed that last night but since I don't really know exactly where you live other than in the vicinity of Halsey Street Station the best I can do is guess.

Pearl said:

I plan to do that this summer. Liberty Island is one of those things that I keep saying I'll do, but never seem to!

I can relate. When you live in a place like NYC, you always think you'll have plenty of time to do things like that....yet you sometimes never get around to it. I think that Ellis Island still allows visitors, and that's a pretty powerful excursion to take, as well.

Dave, I hope that you get good news tonight and are able to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom