MissZooropa's Canadian voyage....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ZooGrl

The Fly
Well, we had a great time but I had to drop Sara off at the airport today, very sad, although we'll see each other again in a little over a month (yay!)
Anyway, this was Sara's 2nd time to Canada, I'm sorry it wasn't as exciting as the last time (Not a whole lot can compare to 4 U2 concerts, right?) but we had a great time and I got to see Nova Scotia and New Brunswick; I'd never been there before.
Anyway, among other things, we found Springhill on the map and decided to make a U2-related pilgrimmage-- we actually took a tour of one of the old mines, for the sole purpose of posting these awful pics... LOL...

24911724403_0_ALB.jpg

Miss Zooropa by the sign...
84911724403_0_ALB.jpg

and me...
55502724403_0_ALB.jpg

And I also have to post a pic from our Montreal gathering last night, thanks to the wonderful planning skills of Lady Lemonade. :) Anyway, the total turnout included 5 PLEBAns -- lady lemonade, her friend (I'm sorry, totally blanked on her name), MissZooropa, Naya, madamc, and of course me.... My friend Dave was there as well (he took the picture); I'd call him an honorary PLEBAn although I don't know if he'd admit to surfing this part of interference. (We know you're out there, Dave :) )

50354724403_0_ALB.jpg

Last edited:
Argh.. my pics never seem to work. Here are the direct links if you want to see them that way:

PLEBAns at dinner:
http://images.ofoto.com/photos228/4/24/47/35/50/0/50354724403_0_ALB.jpg

me:
http://images.ofoto.com/photos228/4/24/27/50/55/0/55502724403_0_ALB.jpg

Miss Zooropa:
http://images.ofoto.com/photos228/4/24/17/91/84/0/84911724403_0_ALB.jpg

Outside the mine
http://images.ofoto.com/photos228/4/24/17/91/24/0/24911724403_0_ALB.jpg

BTW, as for Springhill, there was an explosion in one of the mines in the late 1950s; a song was written about the disaster, called Springhill Mining Disaster, which U2 covered in the 80s. Hence our reason for visiting the mine.... :)

Ok, pics still seem to be defective..... I'll try and figure out what's going wrong and post them later or tomorrow... sorry about that!!!

Last edited:
tis ok...just as long as i'm not :confused: for very long...i hate it when i have to turn off the fire alarm cause my brain starts smoking ;)

am i just stooopid? i have no clue as to why this is a "u2 related pilgrimmage"...

<--so very very :confused:

U2 sang a song, I believe at the Chicago show on the Joshua Tree tour, called "Springhill Mining Disaster". I used to have the words and they are beautiful. They were actually written by a folk singer but I can't remember her name at the moment !

Anyway, I thought the mining disaster took place in England, am I wrong here? Where were these pics taken?

Thanks for sharing your pics!

:yes:

thanks! actually, that song name sounds really familiar...but i haven't heard it. (twin, add it to the list ;) )

thanks for humoring my ignorance :D

Cool pics. Gah I want a PLEBA meeting in England so I can go.
The song Springhill Mining Disaster is a beautiful song, but not about England. The first line is 'in the town of Springhill, Nova Scotia'
Maybe you're thinking of the miners strike, that was in England.

Oh my..... LOL

I still have to wait for my pics. Thanks for posting them Hay!

They had the original written lyrics with enclosed letter to the miners at the museum there.

As you can see, I'm back in Old Sweden again. ANd once again, I broguht the weather. It's sunny and almost 30 degrees!! :D :D

I love this song!!!!!!!!!!!! It was written by Peggy Seeger who was married to Ewan MacColl (Dirty Old Town) and here are the lyrics....

In the town of Springhill, Nova Scotia
Down in the dark of the Cumberland mine
There's blood on the coal and the miners lie
In roads that never saw sun nor sky,
Roads that never saw sun nor sky

In the town of Springhill, don't sleep easy
Often the earth will tremble and roar
But when the earth is restless miners die
Bone and blood is the price of coal,
Bone and blood is the price of coal

Listen to the shouts of the black faced miners
Listen to the call of the rescue team