Melbourne Meet Up thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ha, I'm glad you got around to this. I'm actually doing a photographic entry on my blog right now so my attention's a little divided.

So, here's an outline of my proposal:

Monday 28/01 is the Aussie Day public holiday. It's short notice, so I'm not suggesting much. Just that anybody who would like to meet up is more than welcome to come join me in Royal Park, where I will photograph trains/trams and we could have a little picnic or something. To fit in with people's work schedules, 4pm is my proposed time. There's one spot in particular that I'd like to try out for tram photography, so I'll post a map of the spot.

We can then go on to organise a more substantial gathering somewhere - maybe another picnic if we like it, or maybe something more formal, like at a pub or restaurant, or if U2 3D gets its arse down there, something associated with that.

Also, if anybody is going to Dream Theater on 29/01 or Explosions In The Sky on 16/02, let me know! I'm currently going by myself.

And please, pass on a link to this thread to any cool Melburnian Interferencers.

how is the public transport running on monday im thinking of comming up by train from geelong and dragging cin with me ... mmmmm on a train with cin .. :evil: :lol:

:up: Sounds really nice Axver, kinda excited now! :hyper:

I'm afraid to say that I'm not familiar at all with Dream Theatre, but they do sound really interesting ... I actually thought of going when I first heard about the tour but I just don't have the $$ at the moment.

Looking forward to meeting you all :D

Looks like there's still going to be plenty of trains between Geelong and Melbourne on the 28th. Just follow this link and adjust the travel date and time period filters to 28-01-2008 and full day: http://www.viclink.com.au/line/view/2682

Which reminds me that the route 55 through Royal Park is actually running on a Saturday timetable on Monday, so there go the peak hour services I was hoping would be around. Oh well! That means that it doesn't matter what time of day we meet there; the tram frequency will be relatively the same.

mysterious_jen said:
how is the public transport running on monday im thinking of comming up by train from geelong and dragging cin with me ... mmmmm on a train with cin .. :evil: :lol:

train to wezza, meet up with the skinny weirdo from wezza...

nah i'm in. sounds good.

u2 3d would be mad if its there, because otherwise i dont know who ill go with

TranceEnding said:
:up: Sounds really nice Axver, kinda excited now! :hyper:

I'm afraid to say that I'm not familiar at all with Dream Theatre, but they do sound really interesting ... I actually thought of going when I first heard about the tour but I just don't have the $$ at the moment.

Looking forward to meeting you all :D

Oh, I understand - the price of Dream Theater tickets is about double what I was expecting! Until I saw it was over $100 for even the worst tickets, I was considering travelling to either Adelaide or Brisbane for a second show. The Adelaide gig will actually be their 1,000th show ever (Melbourne is 1,001st). But I can't justify the expense. I can't believe I'm paying more to see Dream Theater than I paid for any one of my ten U2 concert tickets. In fact, I've never paid this much to see anybody!

And yeah, I'm really looking forward to this - it'll be fun! :D Plus I'm getting really bored these days, what with not having a job and university not going back for another month or so.

COBL_04 said:
hang on.

where the hells royal park??

and itd be awesome if people bought u2 stuff.

Know where Melbourne Zoo or the Royal Children's Hospital are?

And I'll provide maps, don't worry.

If this is shittily inaccessible, we can change to somewhere easier.

mysterious_jen said:
what skinny weido ? oh you mean the hot young guy from wezza ? :drool:

:drool: :lol:

the skinny weirdo was someone i saw on the train :shifty:

vlines are so weird. i went to scan the ticket out of habit and almost lost it.

It's closeby to the Melbourne Zoo isn't it? I haven't been down that way for yonks ... I remember going as a little kid and adored the tram ride on the way :D

mysterious_jen said:
:coughfedsquarecough :

That's what I woulda thought lol. Only cos its piss easy to get to, jump on a train to Flinders and you're there. Melb Zoo's a bit out of the way.

And Flinders St Stations a good place to photograph.

up to you ax :)

No, maybe Fed Square might be a better idea. I was just thinking Royal Park would be nice, picnic and all. I admit, that ugly-looking art gallery has turned me off exploring Fed Square and that part of the Yarra. I have it in my mind that it's all bustling and stuff. Is there parkland by the river? And, hang on a minute, since it's a public holiday, is there anything on there, or are they doing it all tomorrow?

In any case, I'll post maps of my original Royal Park idea and you guys can shoot it down if it doesn't suit you. I don't want anybody having a hard time to find it.

oh, you guys are just too fast for me :wink: (that and an ancient computer).

Hey, I'm happy to hang out anywhere ... Royal Park is really nice, but if anyone wants something more central, the Botanic Gardens are really nice too. Right across the road from the Arts Centre (where the Nick Cave exhibit is on :evil: )

Don't wanna derail Axver's plans though.... :)

OK, looking at it for those of you catching the train, Royal Park is just going to be a pain in the arse to get to. You'd catch the train, then either walk or tram from Spencer Street Station two blocks over to William Street, where you'd catch the route 55 tram and it's about a 15 minute trip from there.

So Fed Square's one alternative, or how about Flagstaff Gardens? It's right in the city, within walking distance of Spencer Street Station (or you can tram it).

TranceEnding said:
oh, you guys are just too fast for me :wink: (that and an ancient computer).

Hey, I'm happy to hang out anywhere ... Royal Park is really nice, but if anyone wants something more central, the Botanic Gardens are really nice too. Right across the road from the Arts Centre (where the Nick Cave exhibit is on :evil: )

Don't wanna derail Axver's plans though.... :)

NICK CAVE EXHIBIT ?????????????

:faint:

omg is that still on :drool:

Back
Top Bottom