Lincoln Memorial, January 18

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If anyone needs the video file of both U2 songs from the show, PM me for the link. It's a huge ass file, but great quality! I hope everyone had a great time. I tried texting Amy about half hour before the show, but don't know if she got it, or like you said ntalwar, possible no service...

No kidding it's a huge ass file, it's taking about 4 hours for me.

Great pics cydewaze! Was the pictures that seemed centered where you guys were in the scheme of things?

Actually, we were right up front, against the people barrier. The pic of the Washington Monument was taken by holding the camera up and pointing it backwards over everyone's heads. The pic of the Lincoln memorial was taken on the way out, after the concert was over.

Yeah that was tiring.

Fortunately, getting to the venue was a LOT easier than I expected, probably because people were slowly trickling in throughout the day. The first sound check sounded pretty good, but then it seemed like they shut off half the speakers or something. Our whole section was screaming variations of "turn it up" for much of the pre-show. I was pretty warm, except for my feet, which were frozen numb.

For some reason, they waited until an hour before the main portion of the show to get our jumbotron working. This was crucial because there was a huge viewing platform for all the "important people" that totally obscured our view of the stage. Without this viewer, we would've been totally blind. I'm glad they got it working, even if they only got the sound half working.

We were in a section of Beyonce/Shakira/Usher fans who all sort of looked puzzled when U2 started playing. I even heard one woman behind me say - during Pride - "Oh, they dun changed this song to make it about Martin Luther King!" :rolleyes:

Afterwards, we walked a few miles to Chinatown and stuffed our faces. We tried to go with Mia to the Brickskeller, but someone *cough*Jess*cough* forgot her ID, so we could't get in.

Getting home was no problem. :up:

I'll post pics soon.

Hey, where were you? I was in the same area!! The "yellow" ticketed area right up front by the snack stand!! I was on the rail near the reflecting pool and ya, I felt like I was the only U2 fan in my section screaming during PRIDE!! I was jumping up and down ...!! I didn't care, and I noticed others in the crowd across the reflecting pool and up in the bleachers blocking our view of the stage were jumping too! U2 fans unite!! It was worth every obstruction and freezing cold temps to be in a large group of humanity like that with the same emotional energy. Everybody was so JOYOUS and HAPPY, making the vibe almost sacred. Even the volunteers with the red beanies were so friendly...
I welled up with tears more than once reminding myself constantly to ignore my frozen toes and take in the incredible scene.
The place where MLK gave his speech, the place where Lincoln is honored, the place where HISTORY was made yesterday!! U2/Obama and MLK with PRIDE playing in the background. How could you not be moved??!! That was a dream come true and like others have said, it was worth every hassle on earth to witness!!
Sorry I missed the gathering.... U2 fans are awesome!!:applaud::rockon:

How beautifully written! :up: Hopefully we will be able to meet you next time!

I'm too tired to write much either, but wow COBL really did make the looooooooooooooooooooong wait worth it. :yes:

Yes indeed!! I loved it when Bono started getting emotional.....and started to well up and then said how honored he and the band were that President Obama selected COBL as the campaign song... That gave me goosebumps to hear his voice crack!! Then he went in to the "LET FREEDOM RING" from MLK'S speech... I was bawling like a baby!!! Happy tears!!!:D:heart:

I was so tired afterwards and then we had to walk 2.5 miles back to my cousin's office where we parked...holy crap... I thought me feet were going to fall off they hurt so bad. But totally worth it!!

thanks for the awesome stories everyone - I am so insanely jealous!! I saw the show on a crappy little box on the news channel, and still had shivers going down my spine during U2's performance and Obama's speech - I can't even begin to imagine what the vibe must have been like there!!!

Here's my contribution, taken at the Lincoln Memorial during our recent trip.
IMG_6145.jpg

I'm sorry I missed you guys :reject:

I was on the right side facing the Lincoln Memorial. Originally, I was pretty close, about 1/3 of the way up, but the crowds got too packed and at about 11 a.m., I decided to walk back and see if there was a spot against the rail by the reflecting pool. I found one about halfway between the memorial and the Washington monument and wound up next to a very nice local couple who were also U2 fans. It was nice to hear someone echo my "woo!" in loudness when Pride started :lol:.

it was a great experience. very cold. and nearly impossible to see anything since it was obviously staged for the cameras. the biggest disappointment was bruce, sadly, as "the rising" just didn't translate that well with the choir. U2 was very good. "pride" was solid, "COBL" may have just earned itself all-time U2 classic status as it was thrilling, and was very well received, and i heard someone behind me yell out, "damn, they have good voices!" also props to Garth Brooks and John Mellancamp for being the other great performers.

i, however, did make it to the Brickskeller and had many beers with Unico, onion rings be damned for ever and ever.

That pretty well mirrors my feelings too :lol:. I told my mother, "Besides U2, you know who I enjoyed the most? Mellancamp and especially Garth Brooks. And I hate country. :huh:"

Sorry I missed you guys at the Brickskeller. I ran into a delay even before the metro station, when I was walking along 17th street and the crowd was stopped for either a motorcade or an ambulance (never did determine which one). And then it took a while to find a blue line with enough space on it for people to even get on.

It was a fabulous experience though :)

That pretty well mirrors my feelings too :lol:. I told my mother, "Besides U2, you know who I enjoyed the most? Mellancamp and especially Garth Brooks. And I hate country. :huh:"

Sorry I missed you guys at the Brickskeller. I ran into a delay even before the metro station, when I was walking along 17th street and the crowd was stopped for either a motorcade or an ambulance (never did determine which one). And then it took a while to find a blue line with enough space on it for people to even get on.

It was a fabulous experience though :)

I loved John and Garth too! Garth knows how to get a crowd going country or not!

I took some pics, but they didn't come out well. Too many people in front of me.

kellyahern , I was about where you were but on the opposite side , cool pix , thanks for sharing , hard to descibe the feeling and performance to people that weren't there ... special time :up:

I'm sorry I couldn't meet up with you guys afterwards. I had to catch my train home.

kellyahern , I was about where you were but on the opposite side , cool pix , thanks for sharing , hard to descibe the feeling and performance to people that weren't there ... special time :up:

I liked when your side tried to start the wave :)

I took a picture of the opposite side (trying to get another shot of the ice skating seagulls :lol: ), maybe you're in it.
DSCN4530.jpg

Back
Top Bottom