Lincoln Memorial, January 18

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
im planning on taking the orange line to Farragut West and walking down
17th street to get there by 7:30am

does this sound like a good idea, I'm not too sure when I should be getting there by

My only concern is getting there that early and just stand there for 6 or so hours. Should I wait until after the concert or order new legs anyways?

Does anyone want to try and meet the band at the hotel? I'm up for it, but don't know if it will happen.

im planning on taking the orange line to Farragut West and walking down
17th street to get there by 7:30am

does this sound like a good idea, I'm not too sure when I should be getting there by

I think so. That's what I was going to try to (except on the blue line) :). I think the blue line gets there a little later (assuming I get on the first train, that's a big if) but if you see a blond woman in a red Florida State hoodie, that's me :)

eta: Looking at the map, I might take 1st St. back to 19th St. if that security checkpoint is the closest. So much strategic planning here :shifty:

I must be getting VERY old because (and this statement would have been unthinkable from me about 10 years ago...) the thought of these crowds and the cold and the metro and the waiting and the lack of toilets for only ONE song (which will probably be Pride, a short song at that) that we won't even be able to see over the billions of tall people is starting to give me cold feet! :crazy:

I have no problems at all waiting for hours under these conditions for a full concert, or even a mini set of 3 songs but one? I know Paul is in this mostly going for the meet up component with friends, so I really hope we can set something up.

I think I need a pep talk. :sigh:

I must be getting VERY old because (and this statement would have been unthinkable from me about 10 years ago...) the thought of these crowds and the cold and the metro and the waiting and the lack of toilets for only ONE song (which will probably be Pride, a short song at that) that we won't even be able to see over the billions of tall people is starting to give me cold feet! :crazy:

I have no problems at all waiting for hours under these conditions for a full concert, or even a mini set of 3 songs but one? I know Paul is in this mostly going for the meet up component with friends, so I really hope we can set something up.

I think I need a pep talk. :sigh:

i know hun.. I feel the same way but what keeps me going is the atmosphere of the event (and since i cant be there on tuesday this is a good substitute) that is what I want to experience. Also, Obama is going to be there and I am sure he will speak so I want to be a part of that vibe. It's not just U2 for me (other artists too like Bruce), I am sure we'll see a duet and at least bono and edge will be on stage more than once with another artist. That's my guess. Maybe a jam session at the end too..

how was that for pep talk?

- It's an historic occasion.

- Bruce Springsteen will play too.

- Stevie Wonder will play too.

- We get to celebrate with hundreds of thousands of people the end of the Bush presidency.

- Obama and Biden are supposed to speak I think.

- It will be a new experience.

eta: Amy said it better ^

i'm personally super excited. i've noticed quite a few negative posts here. people have their own preferences and requirements and whatnot, and i respect that. i'm going to freeze, starve, get dehydrated, pushed around, yelled at, and stepped on. but i personally couldn't care less. my heart jumped when i first learned of this. i can't project my enthusiasm on others, i realize that, but i just want to respond to those negative posts. i love you guys, you know that, but i can't help if you don't share the same enthusiasm that i do. just like you can't help that i don't have a rational, admirable, and cautious mind like you do ;)

i'm just saying, if you're not feeling it, then perhaps just meet up afterwards with us? i would absolutely love to see you, and sharing this experience with you would be so much fun...but for me, because i happen to be a renewable energy source. i'm just trying to say that yes, this is going to be chaotic, i agree with you on that. but if you go in with a negative mind, then those aspects of concern are going to def be there that day, and it will take away from your enjoyment of the show because you'll be focusing on them, and not just living in the present moment and embracing this opportunity for what it is. there's no need to bring down the energy in this thread nor at the event. this is a mad, yet exciting thing happening. it is bringing people together to share in their love of music, passion for their ideals and politics, and hope for the future.

don't get me wrong, i'm not trying to say "don't go! i hate you! i never wanna see you again." quite the opposite. i just think that this is something that should be fun, and if you don't think it will be, then don't sweat it, you know? like i said before, we can meet up at the bar afterwards and chill. i'm free the whole night, and am in no rush.

i remember reading about how years ago people would walk for miles and miles to attend special events on the mall. like dr. king's address. this is as close as i can get to being a part of something like this. i know it isn't the same, but with the readings and possibly songs going on which will honor him, i know it is going to be in the same spirit of that and i want to be a part of it.

/soapbox

indeed, my cousin is a session musician in DC. They recorded a bunch of symphonic parts for the concert and I asked specifically about any setlist - he had no idea, but the inaugural is flying in an orchestra from LA - which is really lame, because my cousin is pretty much as professional as you can get (he plays in the national symphony) He said he recorded the backing track for Tom Hanks speech, something for Beyonce' and some other stuff. nothing for U2 or Bruce tho.

My first U2 show that wont be in boston (yes, I'm spoiled and live in maine)

Also - Farragut West is no where near the lincoln memorial - it's probably a mile or 2 away...I worked near that stop in october (was in DC for a week)

thrilled-

Mike R.

ps - yeah - I'd love to know which hotel too!!!

It certainly wasn't my intent (nor anyone else's, I imagine) to bring down the happy vibe of the thread. I do realize it's an exciting and important event and I am thrilled for everyone who is excited to go - more power to you! Mia, when you get to be my ripe old age, perhaps you will still be that energetic, who knows. :)

Amy and Kelly - thank you for the pep talk, it certainly helps!

The main point I was making is that we really WANT to get together afterwards, that is part of the whole experience. Can we make definite plans about meeting at this place Mia is going to as soon as we can all get there? What if it's too full, is there an alternate place?

It certainly wasn't my intent (nor anyone else's, I imagine) to bring down the happy vibe of the thread. I do realize it's an exciting and important event and I am thrilled for everyone who is excited to go - more power to you! Mia, when you get to be my ripe old age, perhaps you will still be that energetic, who knows. :)

Amy and Kelly - thank you for the pep talk, it certainly helps!

The main point I was making is that we really WANT to get together afterwards, that is part of the whole experience. Can we make definite plans about meeting at this place Mia is going to as soon as we can all get there? What if it's too full, is there an alternate place?

love ya hun! :hug: no worries... really I understand where you are coming from and if you choose to change your mind I so understand that however I would be sad cuz I didn't get to see you.. :sad:

yes yes yes... lets meet up please..

what we need now first is a time when each of us are going to be there so that we can gauge when we should all meet. This is if we want to meet before the concert. IF its better to do meet afterwards, let's say timewise 5:15 pm that gives everyone 45 mins to get to a designated location.
How does that sound? Does anyone have a suggestion as to where to meet?

People, people we will all be able to recognize each other because we will be the loudest ones screaming when U2 arrive on stage, plus we will know all the words to whatever song they sing!!:lol: Die hards unite!

I will be wearing a white puffer jacket with fur around the hood...jeans and boots. Blue scarf! :)

I am still convinced that U2 is going to be Oprah's Monday show. I just saw another promo last night and now it says not one but 2 WORLD PREMIERE's will be debuting on the Monday show from DC! Will.I.Am was in the promo also, he's going to be on... so maybe u2 and will.i.am will debut the new song!! AHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!
My speculation earlier about U2 at the inauguration came true so maybe I am right about this too!!!! :hyper::hyper::hyper:

So.. what are the best clothes to wear? best metro stop to get off at? any food/drink to bring? maybe an empty bottle to... you know what.. (it's a guy thing). A camera.

Anything else?

Maybe someone should put a list on here of the above things bonoz mentioned.

I know I'm wearing my ski coat, jeans, boots, blcak hat and gloves. I'm bringing a bottle of water and my camera. We could all exchange cell numbers too.

Maybe someone should put a list on here of the above things bonoz mentioned.

I know I'm wearing my ski coat, jeans, boots, blcak hat and gloves. I'm bringing a bottle of water and my camera. We could all exchange cell numbers too.

So really just hard core clothing? nothing fancy then? and what about food?

i would bring food (sandwiches and water) in a plastic bag cuz I don't think they are allowing backpacks.

i am gonna bring my camera too. I will be wearing a silver gray 3/4 coat with jeans and some kind of hat.. Haven't decided yet.. lol U know it's gotta match and coordinate with my coat and stuff...:D

Also - Farragut West is no where near the lincoln memorial - it's probably a mile or 2 away...I worked near that stop in october (was in DC for a week)

That's what is confusing me a little. The dot website makes it look like the entrances to the event are further back from the Lincoln Memorial

Road Closures and Parking Restrictions for Sunday, January 18 Welcoming Ceremony - Traffic Advisories - District Department of Transportation

General Public Entrances:

Constitution Avenue at 19th street
Constitution Avenue at Virginia Avenue
17th Street at North Elm Walk
17th Street at South Elm Walk
Independence Avenue at the DC War Memorial

I guess we have to go through a security screening at one of these points. What would be the closest metro to one of these intersections?

I'm coming from Union Statio, so I think the Smithsonian stop looks like the closest on my map.

Back
Top Bottom