Joshua Tree trip III (2012): Return of the Crackers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:up:

Especially if that would mean I FINALLY get to meet the BAWs, after so many thwarted attempts. ;)

:corn:
Jan/Feb is tough for me since that's performance time for my kids and race time for me. But then again so is March/April. I think I'll just watch the thread and see what hapens. Maybe in November some of the people traveling farther can throw out some actual dates. My vote would be for May 5th, but that might be too hot. I also don't want to intrude on Comet & Mot's Girl Getaway Weekend. :reject:

If I recall correctly, it takes about 3 hours to get out to the tree from the diner where we meet (in Chino Hills or something, right? Ontario?) and then yeah, it was another maybe 2 hours to Zabriskie Pt, but there was the blind fog and SNOW (and shoddy brakes and bald tires) to contend with so I think I was driving a little slower than normal.

The real question in all of this is... could we find the tree without Mr.Comet? :hmm:

You and Rick should buy one of the claws after the tour and start having CLAWBQs :love:

:lol: :up: we could all pitch in a few bucks.

:corn:
Jan/Feb is tough for me since that's performance time for my kids and race time for me. But then again so is March/April. I think I'll just watch the thread and see what hapens. Maybe in November some of the people traveling farther can throw out some actual dates. My vote would be for May 5th, but that might be too hot. I also don't want to intrude on Comet & Mot's Girl Getaway Weekend. :reject:

If I recall correctly, it takes about 3 hours to get out to the tree from the diner where we meet (in Chino Hills or something, right? Ontario?) and then yeah, it was another maybe 2 hours to Zabriskie Pt, but there was the blind fog and SNOW (and shoddy brakes and bald tires) to contend with so I think I was driving a little slower than normal.

The real question in all of this is... could we find the tree without Mr.Comet? :hmm:

Zooey you ought to be a pro at finding that tree by now. :D

And no way would you be intruding! We invited Jeff didn't we? :sexywink: And besides Mr Comet wants to go again too. Has Mr. Zoo ever wanted to go on one of these adventures? :hmm:

I would like to go, but I don't want to be greedy. I've already been twice, on two wonderful group trips. So I would give up my spot so that someone who has never been before can go.

But I will still be at the breakfast! You can't get rid of me that easily.

I'm up for a JT trip as long as there are other activities as well where everyone (who lives remotely near there, wants to come, and CAN come) can hang out, too.

Actually, after reading Ethan's post...I feel the same way, i'll sit this one out to let other take the trip and not make such a big group.

We'll have to find a new breakfast place, the Mel's closed :(

:( really? aw too bad.

so what's the deal with not going there in big groups? Is it because the rangers are afraid we'll step on some plant life and disrupt the whole ecosystem or something?

And I like the idea of a BAW-Claw! :lol:

Any cooler months would work for me.

Not completely sure on the group thing as far as their reasoning, but a ranger drove up to us and said they were not used to such a large group visiting at once. We didn't think we were that huge or anything... I think there were 9 of us (?) but I guess it was the largest they'd happen to see. They wanted to be sure we weren't leaving trash or anything (we weren't, in fact every time I've ever gone we usually pick up trash that's been left there before. :huh: ) Maybe someone else who was there will remember more of what the ranger said.

so what's the deal with not going there in big groups? Is it because the rangers are afraid we'll step on some plant life and disrupt the whole ecosystem or something?

I think the groups have been pretty respectful of the area around the tree so far.

I don't know what the ranger said to the group because I've only been out there on my own but the environment really does need to be considered.

Definitely ^ :) Each time we've tried to carpool to bring the least amount of cars, don't make or leave any trash, and I've never seen anyone I've been there with do anything harmful. Including being careful of the tree itself, so it might remain as long as possible for other fans to see. (Unfortunately I have seen photos on the internet of other people I don't know, sitting or standing on the tree.)

:hmm: If the rangers thought nine people was a lot, well... I'm not sure what to say to that. I guess it does have to do with traipsing about and hurting the area around the tree, as well as worries for trash, etc. I never thought that there were so FEW people who went out there, since I've wanted to go for, like, decades! :reject: I imagined the tree was overrun with people all the time! :lol: Duh on me.

I think lots of people do go :) You can sort of see how often because there is a book there that people sign and there are quite a few! I'm sure we weren't the very first group, but just the biggest they'd noticed maybe. It's not a public camping or park area, so I guess the group attracted their attention and they just wanted to check it out.

thought I'd bump this....

Bonocomet and family is going to take me (well and my 2 friends) to the tree on Jan 28 if anyone else is interested in going. Or maybe we could do some sort of blue crack gathering on Friday night? We'll be in town earlier in the week but have no plans so far other than this....

at least for me, this date is now set in stone because my flight is already purchased but obviously other dates can be arranged for other trips. I just thought it would be easier to keep it in one thread and not start a new one.

We can maybe join a Friday gathering too if it isn't too far north of us. :reject: But we may just have to possibly meet up in the morning on Sat. as I don't think we'll be able to drive up and back too far Fri. eve than up early again the next morning for the tree as we have about an extra hour and a half to travel before meeting.

Arw which area of LA are you going to be in again on Fri.?

I have no idea what we're doing for the entire trip other than the tree. So we can drive anywhere on Friday to meet wherever. It's sort of an anything goes type of a trip because I want to see the tree and my friends just want to get away for a week so there's little plans other than our flights so far :)

I have no idea what we're doing for the entire trip other than the tree. So we can drive anywhere on Friday to meet wherever. It's sort of an anything goes type of a trip because I want to see the tree and my friends just want to get away for a week so there's little plans other than our flights so far :)

Ah ok, I was thinking you said you were staying with someone in LA but I must have got that mixed up or something. :hmm:

Yay, Amanda! I'm so glad you are going to get to see the tree! :cheer:

And, Comet, you and Charlie are just the sweetest for being tree-tour guides again. :love:

yes they rock for doing this! So excited!!!

Ethan pencil me in for Friday night Jan 27! :flirt: Or...we'll have room in our car (there will be 3 of us) so if you want to come with on Sat there's plenty of room :)

Back
Top Bottom