Ireland calling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AM

Refugee
Hi everybody,

I love U2 and I admit it although it sometimes feels like it's the most umcool thing to admit over here in Eire.

If anyone's interested in sending me a line or two, please do so.

I pretend to play the bass and love to surv the internet.

Hope to see ya,

am

Hows it going AM well let me introduce my self i pretend to be Bono vox and like to sing like him and i pull it off preaty good.(Bono's prayer heavens air).

hiya AM! It's really odd to hear that liking U2 is uncool in Ireland; sadly it's the same in New Zealand, at least among people my age (I'm 21). When I say I'm a U2 fan they just say 'oh, ok' or 'uh-huhhhhh'.
Anyway, I am mostly Irish and I hope to get an Irish passport when I travel - I want to live in Dublin, or at least visit. Plus I have to go see where my family comes from! (apparently Cork, Kilkenny & a place in the north called 'ochlomolond' or something)
Mermaid
smile.gif

------------------
she moves in mysterious ways...

AM, i picked up on that when i was in your beautiful land.
when i mentioned bono to a local girl all she could do was roll her eyes.
but there also seems to be an awful ot of respect for them too.
Do you live in Dublin or elsewhere?
I heard Dubliners say that they are respected enough that people do leave them alone.

i pretend to play lead, but only ever in my bedroom
rolleyes.gif

Hello Am. Whiteflag here. I was in Ireland last year and luckily someone warned my frind and I in advance about how the Irish feel about U2, so we didn't embarrass ourselves too badly. It must get kinda lonely with everyone respecting, even liking U2 but with few willing to openly admit it. I guess my idea for a u2 tribute based in Dublin wouldn't fly at all!
smile.gif

(You see I'm moving there for awhile starting this Oct. And I got this crazy idea of forming a cover band that would play some early U2 in tribute, with myself on bass. I know I know. Lay off the mind altering chemicals...)
Ok I think I've babbled on enough for today. I just woke up so I'm not too coherantyet. I'd love to write you to talk about U2.

whiteflag84@hotmail.com

It isn't really that bad in Ireland for being a U2 fan, at least not in my experience. All of my schoolfriends liked or at least respected U2 - this being the time of Pop. And lately a survey was done for a newspaper on the attitudes etc of 17-25 year olds. And who came third only Bono! Only beaten by 1: Mother, 2: Bertie Ahern the Irish Prime Minister. Not bad eh? I think that people are seeing U2 in a different light now especially with U2 being so vociferous on the Jubilee 2000 campaign - which is a very popular campaign in Ireland.

Hi again,

well, most people respect u2 and most of them even buy their records. But they are not really fans.
Anyway what do you guys think about the things going on in the studio? I can hardly wait until the new album is released. I'll be the first one over here to buy it - that's for sure.
Whiteflag - call by when you get here. We can go for a drink if you like.

See ya soon.

am

hey AM
well I guess if you've grown up with U2 as part of the background to your life - just part of the furniture as it were - you wouldnt be as likely to appreciate them as much as someone living in an unfurnished flat.
hmm...dont know if that made sense!!! but hopefully you see what I mean: that those of us from other countries, especially small far-flung ones like New Zealand, are more likely to get obsessive over U2 than Irish people who are exposed to them so often and so much.
Mermaid
smile.gif

------------------
she moves in mysterious ways...

Hi Mermaid,

an unfurnished flat isn't really my thing - but I do not think of u2 as a piece of furniture!!
I did not get really into u2 before the Joshua Tree, but since then they have been a part of my life, my heart, my soul.
The best thing of being a u2 fan in Ireland is that we get all the news right away. They are on telly and in the papers all the time. Therefore they are a bit like family, but furniture? I don't know... really...

talk to you soon,

am

oh wow! I sometimes refer to U2 as family, but that's just because I'm crazy!! Maybe I should move to Ireland and then I'll have real reason to say it!
smile.gif

It would be totally cool to be a fan in Ireland I would think, because of the reasons mentioned. You would get all the info first and you could constantly feed your fanatacism with the exposure they get over there. I would imagine there are many of those that buy their albums but aren't said to be a "fan" in every sense of the word. I think that must be because they're proud of the lads! Well, that IS a lot to be proud of!

PS: Hello AM
biggrin.gif

------------------

"we're going to finish a record in a few months, and I dare anyone to make a better rock record this year"
- Bono on the new album

AM,
I live in Russia,and probably you'd love to
know that just today I met a mate who simply
said ; "U2 is #1 in the whole world".

hey wightflag do you have a lead singer who sings like bono if not im the person , other than people telling me that i look like bono(people who know u2 or just heard of them,fans) i really do sound like bono especiall the songs from Achtung Baby ,JT,one of their best work im from California though you arnt comming hear just wanted to let you know that im interested in making a u2 cover band . Some day ill meet some one who likes u2 you see i havent come up with a single person who likes u2 .Well as soon i find some one let you all know. talk later. I like to claim im irish though im not. these days im singing u2's falling in love. great voice hear from bono im doing the same.

A u2 cover band would be great. Whiteflag, as far as I can see we have 2 bass players - can you play something else? I used to do some drumming, but I gave that up a while ago, sold my drum kit and bought a bass... Now we are 3 bass players in the family.
Are you definately comming in october?

am

Hi AM, and everyone else!
smile.gif
Just thought I'd intro myself too.
smile.gif

Okay, so this is a weird name to use in a U2 forum, but my real name's Alison (I didn't even know that was Bono's wife's name till a year or two ago!) and I'm into palaeontology and dinosaurs in a bad way, and I came up with Alisaura as a chat name, and that was the first thing that popped into my head when I registered. So, there's a nice boring anecdote to start things off.
smile.gif

I live in Australia, would love to travel all over the place (incl. Ireland!), I'm a fairly recent U2 convert (last 18 months or so, for serious fandom), and am almost pathetically desperate for someone to correspond with about U2 type things and other stuff...
biggrin.gif

Anyone's interested in dropping me a line, please do so!
Alison@u2dublin.com
I like this forum...
smile.gif

------------------
Deeper into Black
Deeper into White

Hey Am!!

I've been so darn busy in the general forum that I've missed your postings here. It all sounds great, your suggestions. there's only one thing though. you and I can certainly have that drink as friends, but we're gonna end up duking it out over that bass thing.

I think three bass players in one family is one too many dontcha think???
biggrin.gif

Lets exchange addys or Icq's or something. maybe that tribute band isn't so far fetched after all
smile.gif

Hey Am!!

I've been so darn busy in the general forum that I've missed your postings here. It all sounds great, your suggestions. there's only one thing though. you and I can certainly have that drink as friends, but we're gonna end up duking it out over that bass thing.

I think three bass players in one family is one too many dontcha think???
biggrin.gif

Lets exchange addys or Icq's or something. maybe that tribute band isn't so far fetched after all
smile.gif

Hello Am, no I havent given up on you yet. If you're still out there here is my address

whiteflag84@hotmail.com

i hope I didn't say anything rude to make you mad. I can assure you I was kidding. Sometimes my humor doesn't come across well online.

Yes I will be in Dublin in Oct. yes I could play something else besides the bass, but the question is could you? What I'm trying to say is that Adam is so damn cool its hard for anyone who understands that to give up the idea of playing his parts
smile.gif
I'm actually thinking about taking up the guitar, but I couldn't possibly take The Edge position. I'll never be THAT good....

Hi again,

Whiteflag, are you still there? I was on my holidays for the last two weeks and I managed not to touch a computer for the hole two weeks. But now I'm back.
You think that 3 bass players in one family are two too many? You might be right but luckily enough we like different kinds of music. Anyway - my youngest brother plays the guitar in his band. He is actually quite good but unfortunately he's living in Germany now and all he wants to play is heavy metal.
So this is no good for us.
By the way, I live in Galway (west coast of Ireland) but I'm in Dublin all the time. So if anyone feels like going to Dublin just give me a shout and I'll be there.

see you soon.

am

Back
Top Bottom