I know this is rarity but any one from India

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ishkash

War Child
hey I'm from India. I kna U2 has been the biggest band in the world ever since Joshua days, but the fact is nobody considers them even a decent band in India.So any Indian or anyone of you can give your opinion on this aspect about U2s popularity.You can give your reasons and can establish cause and effect.
Post a reply

Yo ishkash,I'm from India.Actually Baroda,Gujarat to be exact.Well,you can't call me completely Indian because I was born in Seattle,WA and lived there for 7 years so the American influence has always molded my tastes I guess.Plus my dad lived there for 20 years and he liked the Beatles and Paul Simon so unlike other people livig in India,my music taste is not really crappy.You're right many people in India haven't even heard of the best band in the world.Having had the oppurtuity to hava strong cultural,link with America,I feel Indians don't have the passion for U2.Plus they like shit like Vengaboys,Bacstreet Boys,Spears,etc.They're just looking for a good tune.In fact it took me 2 months of searching to find TUF and War,since most record stores don't keep them.But I'm like all the other U2 fans-maybe more obsessed than the rest I think?

smile.gif
TomTom man thats the greatest posting for me,y'kna i had to work my ass off explaining people here how great this band is.And these guys they never can come out of 70's or G'N'R.I mean thats say 6 years of shot in the pan has giagantic leap over 20 years of greatness,God i just regret this part, not to take anything away from G'N'R but U2 is by some handsome margin the better band.You say you have problems with collecting records i tell ya what? My music store won't allow me in as i'been bugging them asking for names such as M$H and he has no shit of idea what i'm talking bout.So u have any news on release of M$H ost in India,inform me as soon as you can.And yes post on this section as often as you can or rather post everytime you visit this site.I am eager for your response.
By the way right now I'm in Lucknow doing my BBA.
Once again all ya Indian "rock" fans U2 rules the world.rest live in that world

TOM TOM are ya good at taking leaps across the buildings
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

anyway i can give ya sum inspiration, just try to become The Fly as quickly as you can all you need to do is to post 30 cool messages.I'm still waiting for ya.

Yo ishkash.I've never been to Lucknow.Actually,I was in the 12th and just gave my boards this year.So for my vacation,I went to the US of A.Guess what the first thing I did was?I went to the local record store and got the B-Sides,Wide Awake in.. and The M$H OST.It is amazing,man.I mean of course TGBHF is awesome and Stateless is pretty good,but so are the other songs.It has a really blue flavour to it.Actually,I got 100 in maths in my boards,and I give full credit to U2.I mean,those long hours of practice while listening to AB,Zooropa,October,The Best of....anyway,you can get the MDH OST at Crossword.I saw the CD there.You know what?The AB CD actually has this amazing booklet with it which in the Indian release is watered down to a 2-piece leaflet.AARGH!!Makes me mad!!!!Anyway,its no secret amongst my friends that I'm a U2 fan.Actually,I'm completely obsessed(in a good way).I don't love them,I live them.Aside from U2,I love Springsteen and Sting and the Police( thnk I shold have been born in the 80's).And REM.Love Michael Stipes.At least your friends have good taste somewhat!I mean,70's is still fine(though i feel GNR is very generic).My friends.Oh God.They like the Backstreet Boys!And they spend Rs.100 on Big Hits or fucking Sony Megamix Vol.God knows what!But I guess for them,music is more entertainmnet than art.But music and U2 is a subject I take very seriously.I mean they mean a lot to me.So anyway,you must have guessed I'm 18.How old are you?By the way,you better be a BIG U2 fan.Not just casual interest.

Congrats man on that 100 thing.It doesn't get any bigger than me, not literally
smile.gif
I'm their biggest fan.Well me I'm 21 and doin BBA, I got 98 in chem durin my boards that was like highest in our school in almost 10 years or so, in fact mine was II highest ever, i'm not boasting off, but y'kna what in front of the whole assembly i dedicated my marks to mum and dad and what U2.My princi was like nuts y'kna.So you can imagine me.Hey I also like REM and sting we have pretty things in common atleast musically.Hey man just let me kna whats ur fequency on this site, well i'm daily on,if i'm in town.Well with that ur collection of urs ya just made me jealous but i've got 6 posters thanx to cousin in germany,and all their tapes.I don't get U2 CD in here.I'll make sure that I get M$H cd soon.

I have a question for you ishkash.How exactly did you get into U2 and at what stage did you become,you know I mean(as is common in all U2 fans) addicted?Also about the CD thing,yeah.I couldn't find any in Baroda except for TJT (which I bought right away) and Best of(which I didn't buy since I had the tape..my first U2 album).Anyway,as Cd's are quite expensive,I bought tapes.Only in the last few months have I started buying Cd's(money from generous realtives for my board results!).Yeah,I visit this site VERY frequently.

TomTom, It was 94 or 95 I had my first cable connection and showed some movie clip on star movies or i guess it was english star plus y'kna and it some program with Mysterious Ways' riff on it.I must confess I firstly liked their music only and couldn't get hold of the hi-fi lyrics of Bono(I was 15 or something at that time)
smile.gif
so you can guess.But then as I grew older I certainly started finding a new meanings in the songs and then one day Acrobat helped me fight some frustration and then this MTV thing started happening and I saw WTSHNN for the first time it was mind blowing and then i bought JT and since then for past five or so years this band is ruining my life
biggrin.gif
as its taking me away from commners and exposed me to new philosophical dimension which previously i had no idea that even existed.So I can say this "band" has helped me mature as a person in entirity.I had my friend from Germany coming down here last year and he said I was unlike most other Indian youth.Again not boasting anything but i guess you can undersatnd that.So thats me how about yourself, I know you have background of Sates what else.
One more thing I found U2 a bit distinct from other bands as they write very meaningful songs and songs you can really relate to atleast I can.I think they are Gandhi of rock music, with utmost,due homage and tribute to our Father of the Nation.He was the man.

ishkash,first of all where do you get that name from?
I guess you know where mine does.You wrote somewhere in this forum that you've seen all 3 tours on TV-TJT,ZOO TV and Popmart.How the Hell?I've seen half of Popmart Mexico.It was before I was a U2 fan,on Channel V mainstage.I really liked WOWY then too,but quickly forgot about it-until I bought the Best of..and since then,every Sunday at 10 pm I turn on Channel V to see if the show will be repeated...but no,not till now.Bastards will repeat Hootie and the Blowfish 3,4 times but not Popmart.Assholes!Sorry for my language but I feel really deprived when I think of it.And you know how much music MTV plays,right?Anyway,which U2 music videos have you seen till now?I've seen almost all.When I went to America this year,I rented a VHS of all theirAchtung Videos.V plays One Version 3 a lot,I like 1 better(Berlin one).When I was studying for my boards,I used to sit in front of the TV late at night and keep V on and wait and wait and wait for a U2 video to come.Once(2 days before my Physics boards),this French channel MCM showed a 2-hour special on can you believe who?I went absolutely NUTS!!!!!!I dropped my books and watched and watched.They played I Will Follow,Gloria,Sunday live,Pride,TUF,New Yars..,WTSHNN,WOWY,Angel of Harlem,One,Even Better than the real thing(do you know they used that song in an ad for Wimbledon on Star Sports 2 years ago?),The Fly,Numb,Discotheque and Please live.Amazing!
And I got 97 in Physics which I fully give credit to the fab four from Dublin!!!Speaking of studies,if you're doing BBA,why did you take Science?Just asking.Anyway,if you feel from my writing that my obsession with U2 is childish and immature,its extremely deep.Like you said,their lyrics are so deep and complex.Do you know that Until the End.... is actually a song of Judas' betrayal of Jesus?And Bad is about drug addiction?After WOWY,Bad is my favourite.It is simply mind-blowing,lyrics,music,everything.I cannot get enough of that song.You certainly seem to be different from most Indian guys around your age.No one I've met so far is a serious fan of any artist or deeply into music.Actuall seriously speaking,I dont feel Indians can take music like U2's.They don't have the passion or emotion to relate to them.Don't take this in the wrong sense.I'm sorry I don't reply right away,but it takes me time to think of what to write.I dont like talking or writing bullshit so I choose my words carefully.To continue with what I was saying,the last 3 years of my life were spent studying like crazy.In retrospect,I feel it was a waste of time.I mean I did well(95 PCMB,92 overall) but I feel now that academics are total crap.What is their value in real life.Because our society is so academics-oriented,it has become shallow,narrow and useless.We judge a person entirely on the basis of their academic performance.Actually,since I came back from America I have started to think all this.I hate those 2 words:conventional and conformity,and it epitomises Indian society.Why adhere to a set of rules somebody else has made up for you?Why do something just because everyone else is doing it?There in no free thought.Thats why I say Indians lack passion.And thats why I love U2,because they think different,they think free and they BELIEVE.They believe.I'm not criticising just Indians,its society as a whole.Even most of my friends are so narrow and judgemental of things.Beneath that layer of superficiality,there's nothing beneath.Even in America,society is materialistic.Only a couple of my friends are not like this.Its difficult to develop a deep relationship with somebody,to get rid of the shallowness and superficiality and politics and shit.So I'm glad when you say that you're not like most Indian youth.You see this change in me is due to 2 reasons:my cousin who I was with in America and U2.When you realise what "you" is actually more others,it changes you.So I guess I'm in the process of developing as a person from the very beginning.Still its very difficult.I guess the same could be said for me,U2 is taking me away from the commoners!I think thats good when you realise that the"commoners"are listening to "music" like N Sync or Britney or BB,and they thing Bryan Adams is good taste.Well about myself,I'm waiting for the Merit List to come out here and college will start in 2 months.So I'm free right now.Besides U2 which is embedded in my system,I love basketball(playing and watching-I play a lot cause I live right behind my former school),like watching cricket and am a crazy hard-core video game fan(have been for the last 7 years).Video games are after U2 and Springsteen in my life.Did I write toomuch?Sorry if you're bored,tell me if so.How is the weather in Lucknow.Its steaming hot here in Baroda man.Are you a UPite?Or from outside UP?All right then see you.
ADAM BONO EDGE LARRY U2 RULES

[This message has been edited by tomtom (edited 06-19-2000).]

Yup just forgott few things.I'm big time basketball player,In this cricket mad part of the world i'm the only one you'll catch playing ball game, thanx to an african import,he's doing some research, he' 6'4'' and believe me can kick some ass.earlier i never missed MJ's game on TV now the intensity to watch has gone down a bit but i'm still a regular at Univ ground.
Y'kna what I totally agree with you why these Indains(don't mean to offend anyone)can never like U2,I really wish that,I guess it'll be too much for their intellect.I know one big time metal fan, and i tell ya what he couldn't understand what the shit they were singing, He was just following it cause he thaught it will make him cool.

tomtom man
Great work,y'kna what, how did you do that but these things I thought only occurred to me.I must say man I agree with you on all the things you've written. You know what I'm getting a bit senti(not in cliche sense of word) U2 was like my own universe i "was alone in this fucked up world" by the wat i've no problems with you expressing yourself in those words, go for it,so It was like me and myself and U2.I tell you interesting thing untill the release of POP I never knew that U2 was the biggest and the best band in the world,So thids knowledge gave me utmost satisfaction that what i adore so much, something which is very close to me is the very best.Y'kna what when my 12th was over i used to sit infront of V and and MTV for the whole night just to catch the glimpse of any of their vdo.So i started taping thwm when they aired it and now can watch them whenever i want to.As far as that live thing i must have screwed up something what i meant was i've seen their live recording,ie. on tapes.Actually one was my cousin was working in some Dublin hotel and you can guess the rest.
On Indian society as whole i have to agree with you, i think yes now we,ve become shallow.My Mom works as NGO and she often goes to germany and rest of europe, sometimes America too.So I'm exposed to what reality is and what are the norms of life.As far as my roots are concerned yes I'm a upite but rest assured i'm different.As far as chosing BBA to be honest with you I wanted to become a Dr.(everybody seems to be) but my father asked me to go and see a Doctor's life and are you ready for it.And to be honest with you i was not although I got admission in one of the leading Medical Colleges' of the UP.So i joined Venky College in Delhi and their i met this genius Prof.Naidu, he started liking me(no puns
smile.gif
)and exposed me to this commerce thing and conviced me to pursue it.He gave me a very good direction as i'm very creative noe with my studies and other things, although leaving Delhi was a step bacwards bu Lucknow Univ's programme is one of the best in the countries although Univ in itsel is 'kooda'.A far as my name goes Its 'Ish'an Pra'kash' you got the game.
This thought has just came to mind are all the U2 fans think alike,I can guess whats the case as U2 is very progressive band, i've to say a very intelligent band not like usual rock stars, so to undestand them you've to be progressive too(Inddian context)which i'm afraid lots of people here are not.
Anyways, here's my list of fave vieos
Streets
WOWY
ISHFWILF
The Fly
One-Studio and Hotel ver.
EBTTRT
Stay
Numb
Staring at the sun
Actually may be no but this is all i think of now.
I must repeate It was great reading your posting it was like I've written it for myself.Bad yeah! thats very moving.I knew the Judas story.
Hey man do writw more I'm very eager.You start a discussion and I'll reply and then we'll swap

Ishkash I'm sorry if I've taken so much time replying.Its not due to a lack of interest or anything.Please do not ever think that if I take time to reply in the future.Its just that I don't like conversation just for the sake of it,general talk I feel is bullshit.I dont mean asking the weather or discussing the match-fixing debate or stuff like that.Thats fine because its a frank discussion,no problem.What I mean general talk is the type of time-pass conversation where one party or both are not totally interested in each other.To be interested in a conversation,you must be interested in that person.If not,it will lead to superficiality in a relationship.Then it just becomes conversation just to keep the relationship alive.Thats general talk.Anyway,secondly till now it was me who was speaking and you who was replying.Its easier to reply than to speak.So I was really happy when you proposed me raising a topic and you replying and then swapping.Also your enthusiasm is great.No need for such organised debate,just say what you want,thats fine with me,and I'll say what I feel about it.But no politics with me.If you are losing interest,tell me right away.Sorry for all these ground rules but the reason for all this is that I had someone I used to know by email,a girl BIG U2 fan but now its lost because mostly it was me asking her questions like your favourite album and videos,etc.and her replying.Too superficial.So it petered out and that upsets me.What I'm trying to say is that our common connection with U2 is and should be a gateway to a more deep and meaningful relationship.And as you said its good because U2 DOES have a lot to do with it,because its such a deep band.Through discussion of U2,we come to know more about each other.Because U2 means so much to both me and you(trusting you on this!),it should be easier and more interesting to understand each other.If I have more to say on this,I'll say it later when I remember.You said that U2 exposed you to new philosophical dimensions.I'd like to know more about that and how exactly.I started with the Best of...and then having no knowledge of U2 at that time whatsoever,went and bought October.OK,its not a bad album.I like Rejoice,title track,and Tomorrow but still..then the big one....The tree!!!OK,I was in big time.Before U2 I had flirted with Oasis,The Verve,Third Eye Blind,and The Goo Goo Dolls.Springsteen was and still is big with me.Just that he has his own way of expressing himself,very quiet not in-your-face like U2.But I relate to both(but listen to U2 much more).Its like U2 are Gods,but Springsteen is human,know what I mean?Anyway,actually I really loved WOWY,but it wasn't enough to make me a fan.I thought like most other songs,I would get over it before 2 weeks.A year later,its my all-time favourite song.I feel really strongly about it.But the song that got me IN was Pride.The passion in Bono's voice,and the guitar by Edge....it had me shaking my fist in the middle of the night.Still OK,I really liked them,but was not a fan.Thats what I told my friend who introduced me to them(he lives in America now,last year he visited and met me after 4 years.When I met him at this time,he was wearing a t-shirt that had the POP cover on it.So I commented,"So you like U2,huh?".That was his chance to speak.The whole of the week he was there,he talked of U2 and U2 and nothing but U2.I was pretty interested.I mean 4 years ago,he was balanced and all.Was this band really so hot?JUST and I repeat JUST to make him happy,I bought the Best of...tape.My biggest mistake....).So OK I liked them.But not as much as Goo Goo Dolls(my current favourite at that time....havent listened to them since).Then came I Will Follow and TUF and Desire..fucking awesome man!!!Yeah!!Uptil then,Bad was my sleep song.I mean I didnt like it at all,every time it came on,I used to go to sleep.But once,I listened carefully,and I never stopped listening.That song..with it I could call myself obsessed with U2.OK after TJT was Under a Blood...listened to "40".Oh God Oh God Oh God.What about the guitar solo in Eleven 'o' Clock Tick Tock?Never bfore had I heard a band with so much passion,so much heart,that believed in what they were doing.With Sunday Bloody and Streets I understood my friends statement that 'U2 is a political,social and religious band'.Bono was The Man for me and has always been since then.Then was a bit of a stagnant period cause I really didn't want to spend Rs.100 on R&H,an album of which I already ahd 6 songs,and didnt want to listen to covers of Dylan and The Beatles.(I HATE When Love Comes to Town).So I held that back for later.It was the only album I could find that I didnt have.After 3 months of searching,I finally found what I was looking for(no pun)-Zooropa,which I had wanted desperately wanted ever since seeing Stay,and the album everyone talked about,Achtung Baby.Both shocked me initially as they did eveybody,but Achtung stands with TJT as my best(The solo in The Fly...),and Zooropa is close behind them.Pop followed,which I didnt pay much attention to at that time except for the music.I have rediscovered it only recently.I looked and looked and looked for War andTUF(bythis time I had a PC with Internet connection so I was like totally wired andread all I could about them...it was like a day before my prelims,read their album reviews on Sonicnet.com,cleaned out atu2.com,downloaded live version of One).The Internet was like an oasis for me because I actually knew so little about them apart from what my friend told me.I became a crazed maniac,cleaned out every U2 site I could find,have read 4 different versions of their history.I couldn't find these 2 albums until after my 12th,in Bombay.TUF ranks right there with Zooropa(would like to discuss Zooropa with you in detail later).Amazing album.Finally,I got R&H,and was pleasently surprised with many songs like Heartland.Like you have I suspect,I also have lots of their MP3's(just for their sake,I spent countless hours downloading Realplayer and Gozilla).Dont worry,all live and legal.So I guess thats my U2 story in brief.Just the outside actually.Just like to tell you ZOO TV Washington DC is the best,especially WOWY.Get it at u2star.com's concert section.Anyway,I'd like to tell you again that your enthusiasm is great and its wonderful that someone in India is like me and has the same passion for the Best Band In The World.I may have forgotten to say a few things I wanted,but I guess this is enough.Later!!!

Ok I will start with my philosophical influence.See i'm in UP so it becomes very easy to get strayed,y'kna all the wrong paths.I think average kid in UP Bihar don't have a life, all they dream of somehow getting a beautiful girl or spend time day dreaming about her.See its said that one fish spoils the whole tank,likewise all my friends, irrespective of being good or bad at studies,are like this, guess what one cracked IIT-100 and other CBSE medical AIR67 and if you talk to them they're like so-so either they'll be good at what they studied yesterday or how they approached some girl.I have nothing against making girlfriends and all things surrounding that.But the point is one should be able to explore himself and look into his abyss.Which many people in our country struggle for.What does that mean? This means that when I was with these people I realised how shallow we were,how we ignored important aspects,aspects like the shear harshness of this life.So where does U2 figure in?As I told you earlier Firstly it was the music,but when I started listening to them more carefully,I was like wow!, man how can someone think like that and that too a musician.I can't remember exactly what but one of the things i heard on "One" was somehow similar to Aristotle's quote.So from then onwards whenever I listened to U2 it motivated me too seek new answers and this BElieVE thing happened and it become a practice ever since.You know these things don't happen overnight so you cant keep a chronological account of how exactly things happened,But I've given you a pretty descent paintings.So to sum it up U2 asked to me seek new answers,asked me to dare and find out,asked me challenge beliefs all in positive sense of a word and not that i've became an anarchist.So U2 helped me to become a more mature and rational person,sometimes beyond my age(my friends say so).And all these answers either you can find 1-by first hand experience or 2-understanding great works of such names as Victor Hugo or Tolostoy or too an extent Gandhi.Perception had a whole new meaning for me After Zooropa record.I consider it to be a musical philosophy rather than a rock album.For the First Time,I mean its like you're listening to Hugo's singing.Thats what I like about U2 their music is 100% original and lyrics are profound, which can match any philosopher's work at any given momment of time.After that Bono was no longer my fave Musician,Star etc,But my spiritual guru kinda thing,y'kna what I mean.
U2 songs generally put me on a journey,spiritual,mental hey by the way by spiritual I dont mean religious ok!its more like finding your depths.Which I think is very important.Till date I haven't found any band that sounds or writes like U2, they're unique.Thats why they're so special.I have realised some aspects of life which has ceratinly helped to be a much much better person than I would have been in normal course of time.Without U2 I would'nt have started this journey and they were with me through out this journey.Or maybe not, but certainly it has a very positive influence on me,for which i'm very thankful.One thing truly amazing with this band is how they see all the positive aspects,e.g.Bad Its a song bout drugs and death yet how it maintains its positiveness ,is amazing.What else I can say hope I have painted a clear picture.

OK my mandatory question. I've gone through some really tough times explaining to people that U2 is the best band today.So you tell me why don't people here don't accept them as a great band?
Here's a Lill' anecdote.Yestrday I saw an interview of Gary Lawyer on Late Night[V] and he was talking bout his influences, to my surprise he came up with four golden words and the dumb VJ Yudi was almost like yawning as if he was talking bout me and then he says Jim Morrison and he was so energized although they played Streets.

[This message has been edited by ishkash (edited 06-21-2000).]

Sorry for the delay.I had to go to Bombay for a few days to check out the colleges there.

Ishkash you are too polite calling VJ Yudi stupid.The guy is a fucking idiot.I dont know how he got his job and he has no knowledge of music.I mean I like V better than MTV but if they keep people like him I dont know where they will go...

I really enjoyed reading your last message.I read it like 3-4 times.Hey are you MofoMan too?I loved what you wrote about Bad.It mirrors my own thoughts on the subject.The passion in his voice..unbelievable.

Why people here dont like U2....It has a lot to do with todays culture.Bhes ke samne been pajaye bhes sirf puguraye.Know what I mean?I dont think Indians of our age are that deeply affected by music.Its just there for entertainments sake.

I'm making a list of the songs that I would like to discuss with you.Tell me yours and we'll discuss the ones that are common!

1.The Unforgettable Fire
2.Elvis Presley and America
3.Do You Feel Loved
4.Mofo
5.Lemon
6.Zooropa
7.One
8.Acrobat
9.With or Without You
10.A Sort of Homecoming

These are either songs that I feel are very open or that I have special interset in.

By the way next time I would like to discuss Zooropa with you in detail.

Hi,
ishkash and tomtom, I think you two are the only Indians around.By the way I'm ishkash's cousin and I got into U2 through him, I havent heard all their songs but whatever lill bit I got hold of I liked It very much.I like the Zooropa album a lot specially Lemon and Numb.I wont be checkin in as regularly as you guys do but i'll be around.
My fave U2: video
1 Staring At The Sun
2 Mysterious Ways
3 Sweetest Thing
4 Where The Streets Have No Name
5 One (Drag version)

SONGS
1 One
2 Staring At The Sun
3 With Or Without You
4 Mofo
5 The Fly

By the way U2 rules
biggrin.gif

It was nice to have back on the forum.I must tell you that MofoMan is one of my cousins, actually I never knew that untill I read his article above.
Ok so I will straight away hit the money.

The Unforgettable Fire: Its one of those song which I liked on the very first run of the album.Actually I never saw its video untill very recently and it was awesome.Adam looked great, like a thinker."The red wine it punctures the skin face to face in a dry and waterless place" is pretty special to me. I can relate to it in Kinda way that the drinking problem that the youth have in this part of the world its pretty concerning.Bono wrote it after he was frustrated with Irish overzealous drinking habits."And if the mountains should crumble or disappear into the sea not a tear no not I".Woof! man o man.Bono is supposed to be a rock star.These are the most inspiring lines I've ever heard.Isn't he amazing I mean look at all the other greats almost criticizing everything under the sun and this guy is painting his own serene rivers.This is a classic U2 song musically very sonic and chilling, it sings to your spine or rather you hear it in your spine.Amazing! is the word.

Elvis and America: To be honest with you I haven't paid much attention to it untill I read it from you, and how this was your absolute fave.I've to listen more to be judgemental.

Do You Feel Loved: I think this is one of those songs where Bono plays novish hoodlum."Love is bully pushing and shoving in the belly of the woman" I tell you what it can be a very intense Love song.Adam lays one of his trademark smak down.But all in all a weak U2 song.It can be likeable depending on the mood, but will not feature in my best of U2 list.But I think Edge has one of the better guitar works from the album on this track.But somehow I feel I'm overharsh on this one.Anyway I stick with it.

Mofo: A U2 song, yeah only U2 could have nailed this song.It takes guts to write such a personal song.Capsizing your whole life in one song is pretty tough,pretty hardcore.U2 comes out as the real mans on this song.On the first run I liked it musically, I thought it was a bit negative y'kna "mother suckin rock'n'roll" but its one of the most liberating songs.Larry shows his skill,on the live version specially.Hey do you know that Larry hasn't done a lot of drumming on POP, he was injured with some back problem so the guys used loops and drum machine.Anyways.Mofo is a very strong song,now whats that?,Its like your asking questions, which might not even exist,actaully I can relate to it in many ways except the mother angle."Looking for the face I had before the world was made" says more than just being a mofoer.Its more like POP art y'kna where artist uses contemporary tools to make a masterpiece.Brilliant song for fans.Believe me man Edge can build a spaceship with 6 strings.

Lemon:A song which is more serious than what it percieves.This is one of those songs that can put you in a turmoil.Just close your eyes and think "Midnight is where the day begins" It means so much.Its like philosopher going through his things and coming up with those great ideas which people will realise only after 100 years.Brilliant both technically and emotionally.Bono scores high accolades both with his singing and writing abilities."Man makes a picture a moving picture,through light projected he can see himself outside"Its not a lines from a hit U2 number these are testaments of time written by a philosopher who somehow chose a wrong image to live with."He turns his money into light to look for love" All the great philosophers would have been proud to imagine lines like these.A very honest song,a very painful song.A song about a struggle of man who just want to live right way in this shallow world.His honesty and integrity is actually letting him down.There's a aspect bout Bono's mother into it."She wore Lemon", he's just remembering her."She draws a water from a stone" think bout that.This is one of the song due to which I not only like U2 so much but makes me respect them even more.

Zooropa:Again its on contemporary culture.The contradictions this life presents to us Bono relates to them very beautifully."Skip the subway,put your head on the mud baby" is like understanding how you can enjoy this hectic life without giving an inch to people who are ready to take you down.Its a song that like captures the cliched modernism like "fly the friendly sky" is like being traditional cause you're supposed to be then "through appliance of science" is like very ironical,its like how we are so ready to take off what restricts us very liberating y'kna."Dream out loud"Is the bottom line, Yes Bono no matter how much this life is willing to take you down never give an inch and persue for what, what was yours in the very first place.This is one of those songs where you wont realize it untill after 4 or 5 runs and that too when you're going to sleep.Its like a sub conscious anthem going on in your head to never give up.

One:An absolute darling of mine.You know this song is like food for humanity,The most comprehensive love song that I've ever heard.Its so compelling,so moving.The beauty is its very simple and honest,specially the live version."Have you come here to play Jesus,I did" is like being honest,its like a faux pass also.The pain of sticking together be it Gf/Bf or Kinsmen or just citiens, you not only have to respect one anothers high points but also you've to repect their wealness,which you percieve.Living for yourself, piece of cake,but to be with everyone can sometimes be real pain,and to respect and to stick together is the key.Musically this is very strong.I mean even if you listen to the music it can capture the mood for you.Edge's guitar in the bridge section is awesome only he could have done that,Its like a waterfall when a priest is offering his prayer,i.e.Bono's falsetto.Whenever I listen to this song its a special momment for me,I'm like numb for a momment or two just being absorbed by the song.Awesome man,Great and all things relating to these.My real fave.And you know band was about to break before they did this song, and what a song they come up with.

Acrobat:I've told you earlier this is the song that started ruining my life.And I'm very very thankful to it for that.
"Don't Let the Bastards Grind you Down".A bit unlike Bono but a very welcome change of attitude.What I percieve is that you should never let anyone take advantage of you being nice.And just be yourself dont get into the a cobweb of niceness.Fight for it man.

With Or Without You: I can't live with or without them.I think this is a immature understatement.U2 come as one on this song.You asked in one of the other section of the forums that what is stripped down essence.Well this is it.A great piece of music by a great band,just great band nothing else.Its a song, I dont think its a straight forward love song,Its like what I call has a U2 'angle to it'.Just imagine the situation,It must be very painful.Its actually a U2 rarity where the music takes over the lyrics.I mean the intensity of Edge's guitar vs. Bono's vocals and the rythm section of Adam/Larry cheering both of them,Its like a tussel, to bring out the best from one another.Intensity that this song generates is mind blowing.You know what TomTom whenever I listen to this I think I'm in a dark room,and all the beautiful things are outside of that room.The speciality of this room is that its playing some music which doesn't want me to leave this room and seek the beauties of life.Mind you I'm not a withdrawing person.

A Sort Of Homecoming:I think this is Bono's song.He generates so much intensity through his tubes."Your own dream landscape" We are talking patriotism this is an absolute gem."No spoken words just a scream" man where does he get these ideas from.You know what putting a great idea is no big deal, but putting a feasable idea certainly is.I really get charged after listening to this.

All mentioned above and the rest.The special part is not for once you'll tend to go negative.Its a surreal you know,We are going through spiritual(not religious)and emotional journey,interactin with the harsh realities of life these things can be very demoralising. Yet you are listening to all this stuff and yet you don't want to ignore it you want a fight, you want a challenge.A challenge that takes you higher, makes you a better person,a comprehensive person,a mature person,a compassionate person,a person whos a asset and not a liability,all in all an astute person.I think U2 is the perfect blend of idealism and practicality.

So this is my story,rather introspection,which i must thank you for.I'm feeling lighter now.What else?How bout your views.
smile.gif
And best of luck with your admissions.I hope you'll get into a very good college.

Back
Top Bottom