Going to Los Angeles in a few weeks!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ree5669

Acrobat
All you familiar with LA, please help me!!! I have a convention there and will be limited on time. I have all day 2 days and after 6:30 in the evenings to roam. I have purchased tickets to the Hollywood Bowl for fireworks, etc on the 4th, but what else must I do????

I want to go to the beach. Being on the Gulf my whole life, I am interested in the Pacific side. Which do you recommend? Also for a nice dinner (not Spago's nice...$$$$), but still get a little dressed and eat well, what do you suggest?

I have conferences at the LA convention center, is that close to things I need to see/do? I know this is a lot, and didn't know where to post. After my "IT'S OFFICIAL" post, I am almost scared to post in a new forum...don't slam me if this isn't the right place ;)

Thanks in advance for any info you can offer. I really appreciate it.

PS...are the subways really as bad as people say? I am used to DC and NYC where you can literally go ANYWHERE on metro, but I hear that you can't go to too many places on them. I am scared to rent a car and drive in big traffic and in unfamiliar places. Atlanta is about as tough of traffic as I have encountered and that was a drag. :ohmy: Thanks again!

public transportation here in Los Angeles is really really bad. . . i say rent a car (and get a map) if you want or spend money on cab fares.

most of the cool spots to hang out are on the westside, maybe half an hour from downton (depending on the traffic). if you head down to the beaches in Santa Monica i'm sure you could find a cheap place to have a good dinner. other than that i say hit Sunset and do whatever. . . it's cool to just walk around there on a Saturday night and hang.

ree5669 said:
After my "IT'S OFFICIAL" post, I am almost scared to post in a new forum...

aaw, we didn't mean any harm in io, i swear. well, maybe zoney did, but you can always just beat him with a stick.

i live just outside of las vegas now, but i grew up in so. cal. the griffith observatory was always one of the places i liked to go. it's up in the hills above griffith park. there's an incredible view from up there that includes the famous hollywood sign.

are you going to have your family with you? i think i remember that your profile said you have children. if you do have the kids with you, they would enjoy the museum of nautral history in exposition park. i miss that place very much. there's a new science center, and a lovely rose garden. also, it's right next to the coliseum where i saw my second and third U2 shows waaaaay back in 1987.

you know, now that i think about it, there was a thread in lemonade stand recently where someone was going to be visiting los angeles, and there was a lot of good advice. i bet you could find it if you searched back a few pages in that forum.

anyway, have fun and be careful.

and if you do end up renting a car, remember to keep your doors locked. ;)

FYI - the obvious NV resident does not realize that the Griffith Park Observatory has been under mass renovation for the past 2 years and will not be finished for another. :lol:

Beach - Santa Monica pier and area...you can stop on Ocean Blvd. which runs along the hotel front if you would and you'll find beautiful views especially at sunset....from Santa Monica, you can walk a couple miles along the strand and actually reach Venice Beach...(they've really cleaned that place up!)

Navigating LA by car really isn't that bad...just stay off of the freeways...there are a number of major arterial east/west roadways that cross LA City such as Santa Monica Blvd., Washington Blvd., Pico Blvd., Venice Blvd. Beverly Blvd. these streets will take you to and from...since I don't know where you're staying I could give you more info.

If you wanna check some pretty cool areas, try Sunset Blvd. at night...not Sunset in Downtown LA, no one speaks English there,,,you gotta hit the 6500 Block out to the 9000 block...there, you'll find House of Blues. Chateau Marmount, a great Irish bar that Bono hang's at (no, he won't be there!) but people claiming to know him will!!!

its a very diverse city; don't buy anything from street vendors; :no: you can call us when you're in town...must pm us and we can give you more directions...many many Interlanders call me ...I'm one of The Thomas Bros. map-boys! good luck.

Oh, the LA Convention Center is basically downtown Los Angeles...don't stray too far from there unless you're in a group and you can manage your way back to where you started...

The Hollywood bowl fireworks show is an annual event..you will enjoy it..are you bringing anyone? co-worker, spouse, anyone, pairs are always better...

you can reach me or Bono'sAmericanWife... siubizz@sbcglobal.net
if you have any questions...:)

Last edited:
I just came back from LA.

The public transportation system is the lamest I have seen in any major city I've ever been to. It's no wonder that the smog hangs so thick over the city when everyone's in their own car.

The freeways are bad. Traffic everywhere, but frankly, I didn't find the streets to be much better.

I liked the Getty Museum (the area and the views more than the museum itself), so if you've got time, you can go up there.

Santa Monica was like the California I imagined (ie. Baywatch) - really wide beach, tons of people on it, jogging, rollerblading, swimming, the whole gamut. I liked it quite a bit although the water is cold, nothing like the Atlantic, the Gulf or the Caribbean Sea. It's a fun time walking endlessly down the beach, if that sort of thing interests you. Venice Beach is much more loud and crowded, and there's a bit of a different clientele.

I was only in Hollywood for the briefest moment for the sake of taking a pic of that sign up on the mountain. I hate crowds and crowds + heat = nightmare for me. It's quite touristy.

Mr. BAW said:
FYI - the obvious NV resident does not realize that the Griffith Park Observatory has been under mass renovation for the past 2 years and will not be finished for another. :lol:

:ohmy:

:lol:

WOW...you guys are great. I had seen the observatory on an LA website and was interested, but I hate to hear it is "down". We (I suppose) will do all the touristy things: stars tour, walk of fame, Rodeo, etc, but like I said I am in meetings a lot. We fly in Sat morning (7/2) and have all day. Sun-Wed meetings till 6 each night, but leaving early for the fireworks on the 4th. I have ALL day on Thurs. to bum...really wanting the beach time. I am afraid I will freeze, though. I was looking at the forecast for this week and it is only in the 70s (lower, at that) this next week and 60 at night!!!!! I am used to beaches at 85-90 degrees. Here it is actually cooler on the beaches than inland. I am still debating that situation.

BAW/MRBAW...cannot remembemer who replied...(forgive....3 margaritas tonight ;) )
You are so kind. It would be cool to talk to someone directly I have seen here. I ALWAYS enjoy your posts.

are you going to have your family with you? i think i remember that your profile said you have children. if you do have the kids with you,

Yes, my husband. This is a grown up trip!!!!! We are in LA for almost a week and we are headed to Las Vegas for a couple of nights at the Mirage. I so cannot wait.

What about Las Vegas...I chose the Mirage b/c of the pool area. My best friend/& hubby are in the Stratosphere: they recommend dinner there. I am considering it. He is all for anything, but I am cheap. I did buy a new slinky black dress (& lingerie!!!!!)...so what the hell? My husband will play hold 'em all night/day, but I plan on basking in the desert sun, while staying comfortably numb.

DID I MENTION: NO KIDS?????

BTW: excuse me...I am a bit tipsy. I read another thread about what teachers do on their "own time" here it is, officially (IO):

drink
gamble
get kinky at a convention
;)

(just kidding.....or am I????)

Thanks again...I am so excited!!!

Last edited:
Parking at the Hollywood Bowl will drive you to murder. I'm not joking at all. Take one of the shuttle buses. Seriously.

Martha: Thanks. I was reading online something about the "Park & Ride". I think it was called that. I had thought about talking to the concierge about it and getting a train close/walking/ and riding from there.

New cities freak me out...but I navigated NYC (planned in 12 hours) to make the brooklyn concert and was safe, saw the sights and had the time of my life!!!!!

I had thought about trekking out and finding the "Rock & Roll Stops the Traffic" from Rattle & Hum. Don't I remember it was in Embarcado (sp?) Plaza? Did they cover that up and where is it? In LA? That would be a cool pic to add to my collection. ;)

NYC is really easy to navigate thanks to the numbering of the streets and the skyscrapers that help you orient yourselves. LA was a bit more difficult (I had trouble figuring out where east/west was).

I also just returned from the Mirage in Vegas. First, let it be said, I hate Vegas, LOL. It's incredibly tacky and gaudy and well, over the top. It's nice to see once, but it's not my cup of tea. The Mirage, however, was really nice. I'd definitely stay there again and I preferred it over Caesar's Palace. There are tons of places to have dinner. We had a pretty good buffet at the Aladdin. I can't remember much more - we spent most of our time at the outlet malls.

P.S. I think Mandalay Bay is supposed to have a really great pool. So I've heard, but haven't seen it myself.

Last edited:
In Vegas the best place to hang out is the Hard Rock Hotel. They play cool music & have lots rock memorabilla. It's also a smaller hotel and lots of fun. I do not like Vegas but I do love this hotel.

You can't go wrong at the beach. Have fun!:wave:

u2valleygirl said:
In Vegas the best place to hang out is the Hard Rock Hotel. They play cool music & have lots rock memorabilla. It's also a smaller hotel and lots of fun. I do not like Vegas but I do love this hotel.

You can't go wrong at the beach. Have fun!:wave:

I love the Hard Rock Hotel. That's were I stayed for the Elevation Tour. I won't be staying there this time, because I can't afford it. :(

well, first off, stay outta Compton, LOL.

I was born & raised in L.A., but moved about an hour north about 13 years ago. Too crowded and congested. But trying to remember the touristy things to do. You may want to go to Grauman's Chinese Theater on Hollywood Blvd. See all the stars hand & footprints, and the Kodak Theater is right next door. But I haven't been for a while nor do I know what it's like at night. I don't know about Universal Citywalk either. Lots of restaurants and shops there - can be kinda expensive. I think the parking alone was $8.00 when I was there in November. It's fun for me on occasion because there's absolutely nothing to do out where I live, LOL. There's a good restaurant by the Santa Monica Airport called 'Typhoon'. I know there's a website for it someone (do a search on Google). If you plan it right, you can watch the small/private planes land & take off while you watch the sunset. Asian food. You mentioned the Embarcadero - for some reason I think that's downtown. I don't know the happenin' spots down there, sorry. Some parts of downtown you DON'T want to be in at night... And we have no mass transportation - poor foresight by city planners/politicians (and maybe they were too cheap). If they just had a Monorail like at Disneyland... Hollywood Bowl & parking :madspit: Try and get there early, pack a meal / picnic (it's a popular thing to do there). Expect the worst from parking and/or take one of the shuttles and go with the flow.

The Getty is probably cool - never been though. The King Tut exhibit opens tomorrow in Los Angeles thru til November. Don't know what kind of luck you would have getting tickets for the dates you are here. You can check Ticketmaster for that if you are interested.

You didn't mention where you were staying, ie, downtown, westside, etc., so it's hard to direct you.

And Vegas, gee I wish I could go - it's been a while. We've stayed at the Mirage a couple of times. I was happy with it. Won a nickel jackpot there too ($200!). I enjoyed their buffet. I've heard good things about the buffet at the Rio, but never made it there... There's always the rollercoaster at NYNY (never been on it either).

Stick with the slinky black dress and lingerie - can't go wrong there :sexywink: (for you & hubby that is!)

Hope you have fun when you guys arrive here.....
Here's my $.02....

*LA food, in no specific order ...In-n-Out burger, PF Chang's, Roscoe's chicken and waffles, Yamashiro's for japanese food.
*Old town Pasadena:up:
*Hollywood walk of fame..so that you can say that you did it...don't expect much thought...:|
*Las Vegas......:drool:
*Best buffett....Paris, it used to be Rio, but the quality went down.
*Best pool....either Hard Rock or Mandalay Bay...actually it more like a beach there...
*Best place to party............drum roll please.................Palms, period.
(IF you were single, then I would recommend the Beach club, next to Ceasar's Palace.......:drunk: :rockon: :laugh: )
Good times!
Be safe!;)

:camera: :giggle: Have fun in LA! I was born and raised there and it's funy reading this from FL!! Seems nothing has changed-except More crowded than ever and I don't miss the smog! And, I think you'll love Santa monica&hollywood! Adn Mirage seems a good choice!! have a good trip!:wink:

Back
Top Bottom