Dallas and Houston Vertigo Concert Volunteers for the AWF

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jamila

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
Hi Everyone,

I've been getting a lot of emails and pm's at the various U2 fansites about activities surrounding the Vertigo concerts - especially as it concerns passing out the flyers for the African Well Fund.

First, I need to let everyone know that we are all volunteers here. Some of us may have more experience in volunteering but we all have something special to offer each other.

I have been an avid and active supporter of the AWF almost from since its inception (I joined the discussion group which formed the AWF two weeks into its existence) and so I have a very dear and beloved place in my heart for this organization.

It has achieved a GREAT thing for thousands of Africans for generations to come by raising the money over the last three years to build dozens of clean water wells in African villages.

And this has all been done "In the Name of Love" and with the utmost respect for Bono's tireless activism for the world's poorest people.

There will be a group of us to pass out the AWF flyers both in Dallas and in Houston. Quite honestly, the best time to pass out the flyers will be in the afternoon of the concerts.

What I would like to do is for anyone who has already contacted Rob (the co-ordinator for AWF volunteers at the Vertigo concerts) at trigelle@juno.com to post in this forum and let us know if you have received your volunteer package from him yet.

Then, what would be great is if people can say what will be a good time for them to pass out the flyers on the day of the concert. Then I'll try to compose a list of who can pass out the info at various times so that we can try to hit as many different people coming to the concert as possible.

For Houston, I'll be able to pass out the info during the early afternoon hours (4pm-5pm) because I should have a GA for Houston and will need to get back in line by later in the afternoon.

For Dallas, since I have a nosebleed, I will take the later hours (6pm-7pm) when people start coming into the arena since I don't have to wait in line to see the concert.

Anyway, please post back here and let us know if you have already contacted Rob and when you think is a good time for you to pass out the AWF flyers.

Thank you ALL so much for your concern for and your willingness to help for the world's poorest people.

There is really nothing better that you can do the night of the Vertigo concert in your town than to help an organization founded in the spirit of Bono's activism for Africa - the AWF.

There might be something else coming up in the next few weeks, but this is all any of us know for sure for now happening in Texas for the Vertigo tour!

Take very good care, my friends. Blessings not just for those who kneel.

ONE,
debbie :)

So glad to hear that Allegra!

There are about four people I know of for sure that are helping out in Houston.

Are there any more people out there that are helping out in Dallas?

WHERE YOU LIVE SHOULD NOT DECIDE....:up:

Just to update anyone coming to this thread about the AWF lit drop at the Vertigo concerts in Texas this coming weekend.

It looks like we will have about 3-4 people for Houston.

Dallas so far only have Allegra and me that I know of.

If anyone else wants to help pass out AWF flyers the afternoon of the Vertigo concerts, please contact Rob at the above email and then please post here so we know here locally if we will have more people participating.

This will only take about 30 minutes of your afternoon on concert day and think what a positive difference you'll make for the people in Africa who need clean water!

Thanks so much for your interest in this great idea.

WHERE YOU LIVE SHOULD NOT DECIDE....:bono: :heart: :heart: :hug:

Hey, this is Julie and on behalf of the AWF board we would like to thank Debbie (jamila) and all of the other volunteers here for your upcoming efforts in Texas this weekend. This sounds great.

Again, if you want flyers to pass out, please contact Rob. Also, you can download the flyers here and print them off yourself. It's great that you are all getting together to do this, but remember it's not absolutely necessary to do that to spread the word.

here are some ideas about where/how to flyer:

1. Before the concert when peope are on their way to the venue ( be careful about doing it on arena property)

2. in the GA line that day

3. after the show as people are on their way back to the cars. This is tricky though, you have to get out of the venue kind of quickly.

4. on windshields (this works best at off property parking lots). I did this in San Diego this spring and was able to flyer over 1000 cars.

Good Luck and thanks to all of you for your grassroots efforts!

Julie AWF

Thanks, Julie, for your very enthusiastic response.

I've been trying really hard to encourage us down here that we really can make a POSITIVE DIFFERENCE for some of the world's poorest people (the same people that Bono fights for) by taking this one step and help to pass out the AWF flyers on the days of the Houston and Dallas concerts.

I also will be wearing my "Where You Live..." tshirt and hope that others will too the day of the concert.

So, PLEASE CONTACT ROB and let him know you want to participate and then let us know here if possible so that we know where folks are passing out their flyers and when so we aren't all reaching the same people.

Hoston and Dallas will be rockin' - for the AWF and U2!:applaud:

I'd be happy to help out. I'll be in Houston, and should arrive at the Toyota Center between 3 and 4 p.m. Friday afternoon. I have a reserved seat for the concert so I don't have to worry about standing in the GA line.

What should I bring? I am disabled, so I will be using my cane -- could I bring a tote bag to put the flyers in? That would make it easier for me to carry. I would like to pick up the flyers there rather than print my own, if possible, so I don't have to bring them on the plane and have to carry them from the hotel.

Please just tell me when you need help and I'll do it.

Julie

Julie, so sorry that I didn't get the chance to see your post until now.

I have been SO busy with the Vertigo tour coming through Texas that I was Internetless for three days.

I encourage you to go to http:/www.africanwellfund.org and join the forum discussion there to learn more about the AWF and ways that you can help provide clean water to some of the world's poorest people. :wink:

Thank you so much for caring, Julie. Take good care of yourself. :yes:

Back
Top Bottom