Canadians in the House!?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I guess you could call me the "newest" Canadian. I've lived here for a month now.

All those "our" and "re" spellings still look very weird to me, although I realize that I actually encounter these alternate spellings quite rarely when I write!

How are you enjoying TO?

I'm moving back in June or July and I can't wait. :wave:

I've been in Vancouver for just over 2 months now, getting used to the slang or extra words that are used which aren't really necessary i.e. "totally" and "like".

Great city, although maybe a bit too laid back after coming from London which is so intense and fast paced. People are very nice and I can't say I am missing London too much really.

I heard about some U2 conventions that happen every year, somewhere in the US, does anyone know whereabouts? I was thinking I could get down to Seattle, LA or somewhere on the West Coast when the next one happens.

How are you enjoying TO?

I'm moving back in June or July and I can't wait. :wave:

Overall, aside from a few minor "culture shock" kind of reactions, I'm enjoying it considerably!

So why are you moving back from NYC? Just curious.

I've been in Vancouver for just over 2 months now, getting used to the slang or extra words that are used which aren't really necessary i.e. "totally" and "like".

Haha. Well, I believe a lot of Americans use those words too, so I wouldn't say that's exclusively a Canadian thing. I haven't heard many here in Toronto use those words, though, and I didn't hear it a lot even in the Midwest/East Coast of the U.S., so maybe it's even a West Coast quirk.

I was only in New York on a short-term post to my firm's office in Manhattan. Enjoyed the time there a lot, but I really couldn't stand to stay in NYC permanently. I am too much of an outdoorsy person to really enjoy it long term.

Overall, aside from a few minor "culture shock" kind of reactions, I'm enjoying it considerably!

Welcome to the great white north! :wink:

Glad to hear you're enjoying yourself, and I hope it was a relatively smooth move?

I'm curious, what sorts of "culture shocks" have you experienced? Did someone attack you with a toque? Did you see a moose on the loose? Perhaps your igloo isn't as comfy as you hoped? ;)

Haha. Well, I believe a lot of Americans use those words too, so I wouldn't say that's exclusively a Canadian thing. I haven't heard many here in Toronto use those words, though, and I didn't hear it a lot even in the Midwest/East Coast of the U.S., so maybe it's even a West Coast quirk.

It's definitely not just a Canadian thing, I am sure it originates from American TV, mainly the soap operas such as The OC, Dawson's Creek etc... Well that's what Canadians over here have told me:)

a hot cup of Tim Hortons - IN THE FACE!

A hockey puck - IN THE TEETH!

When I first moved to Canada, I experienced a fair amount of culture shock myself. For instance, it took a while to get used to the fact that strangers generally look you in the eye and smile at you when they pass you in the street. Back home, that usually meant one of the following:

a.) I am going to take your money and kill you
b.) I am going to rape you and kill you
c.) I am going to [insert any other undesirable action here] and kill you

When I first moved to Canada, I experienced a fair amount of culture shock myself. For instance, it took a while to get used to the fact that strangers generally look you in the eye and smile at you when they pass you in the street. Back home, that usually meant one of the following:

I can't say that I have experienced that in Vancouver so far, whereabouts in Canada do you live? Maybe it's because I don't tend to look at other people in the street and haven't noticed it:)

:lol:

It's a freaky place up here.
Three people were walking ahead of me into our student centre at the university, through three different doors. I was a few steps behind them, all three of them held the door for me! It was ridiculous.

I figured I should probably start the traditional canadian epic of "you first, no you first" but it was too cold so I phailed at properly responding.

I'm starting to look for a place in TO since I'm returning in a few months. Kind of fun picking a neighbourhood.

OMG! What in the hell did you do for entertainment here??? lol

I think when I was a child/teenager it didn't bug me as much. Movies and mall? :lol:

I was there at Christmas visiting my parents, ah the old stomping grounds.

Coming soon:

flag.jpg

People who are sick of Mississauga, move to Oakville.

It's great here, I love it :)

Well, 'cept for the snow...

I used to hang out at Sq 1 back when there was nothing north of it but orchards and such...its a much different place now..

What neighborhoods are you looking at? I :heart: the west end myself...

I'm almost sure that I'll end up either at Bloor/Yonge or somewhere in Summerhill, that general area.

Right now I'm leaning toward a place that's just south of Bloor/Yonge, near Wellesley station.

I'm almost sure that I'll end up either at Bloor/Yonge or somewhere in Summerhill, that general area.

Right now I'm leaning toward a place that's just south of Bloor/Yonge, near Wellesley station.

:heart: I want to live downtown so badly.

The only upside about living in Scarborough today was that I didn't have any subway trouble getting to school unlike the west end. :crack:

The only upside about living in Scarborough today was that I didn't have any subway trouble getting to school unlike the west end. :crack:

I live in the vicinity of the West End. Thankfully, I didn't lose power, but it was actually quite interesting driving through the area that did lose power, as the traffic lights were out. I think I got through there faster with a cop directing traffic than with those awfully-timed lights. I think the city literally wants you to stop at every goddamn traffic light!

Back
Top Bottom