Bono in Philly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
biff said:
Here's the video:

http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=TPkgri1lzO0

And here's a comment from a disgruntled Zootopian who was there:

"Oh that is a nice video.

That person screaming about Debbie is her mutual friend!! Apparently they could not wait for Bono to make his way down the line so they had to push thru when other fans were getting their turn and yell....DEBBIE IS OVER HERE!! BONO IT'S DEBBIE!!! Blah blah blah. Real impressive how they jumped off the curb and refused to follow the protocol requested by security and the police.

But of course she is so important. And is so close...that is why the "mutual friend" had to push thru the crowd screaming and explaining who they were.

Yep. Unlike Dan and his friends I posted about above....that performance was no class. It broke the rules for the meet and greet and when Bono could finally break away from her grasp...he ran to his car and all the other waiting fans lost their chance.

Thanks Debbie for your selfishness and ruining it for others who came just as far and waited just as long. If I had only known all your meetings were precipitated by hysterical screaming and pushiness....if I had only known "mutual friend" just means someone else who maybe met Bono before...well...I still would not behave like that."

And another, from Zootopia:

"you certainly got that right! I really love how she "told" me to "get out of her way" and when I told her no.....I was asked the most moronic question ever..... "Do you know who I am ???" Why yes, I do, you are NOBODY. At least we now know what all the jibberish talk about mututal friends is! Good lord, I am glad I do not have any of them!!!! It was the craziest sceen I ever saw! To actaully have someone scream and yell and carry on about all the good things their friend does for the world......while Bono is trying to talk to ALL of his fans.....ouch!"

Ouch, indeed. :|

BINGO! :bow: :bow: :bow:

I am glad everyone is realizing just how important she is. Curbside like everyone else!!!!

This is CRAZY. Finally, the truth is out about this ...." #1 FAN". It's people like this who scare celebs away. Maybe she should stay home from now on, and keep her delusions and rudeness to herself. Because we DON'T EVER want Bono to stay away from those that really admire and respect him.:yell:

Seems like he was really just trying to be polite.

Last edited:
He was really polite. He is also Bono. He has this marvelous rockstar talent of squeezing everyone's hand and staring into their eyes and making it seem like his full attention is on you. It's amazing when it happens, but he does it for everyone.

Hi all, I don't normally post over here at Interference as you can see by my low post count.

But after what happened to my son in Philly, a met a beautiful soul who asked if I would post this story and these pictures here at Interference. In the chaos of the moment, I didn't get a chance to ask her for her name, but I promised that I would post the story and pics from my son's meeting with Bono. So... if the person who approached me is reading this... this is for you and I am so sorry I didn't get a chance to talk to you more. It was crazy and hectic after we came out and I needed to get my little boy in a cab and get him home. It was very long and emotional day for him.

Okay... the story is that my little boy is a patient of Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, he has Leukemia and his wish was to meet Bono. He is currently in the off therapy stage of his treatment and we are waiting on a cured diagnosis. We have to wait at least another year and a half for that. We still go to monthly treatments for blood counts and overall check ups. But he is off the chemo treatments and he is doing well. He was diagnosed in Oct 2003, two weeks shy of his second Birthday. He took to the song Vertigo when it came out, he listened to the song constantly and it became a place for him that was a happy one. He took to Bono as a sort of source of happiness as well. Brandon took to Bono as I hero, I guess. I don't really know how to explain it, I was and am still amazed at my son and the love he has for Bono. I don't even think I realized how much until the night in Philly when he was granted his wish by the people of the National Constitution Center.

Anyhow... he drew a picture for Bono when his was just 4 that I was able to give to Bono February 2006 after his speech in D.C. Brandon was in remission then.

Enough back story.

As I said, the people at the National Constitution Center were made aware of my little boy's wish to meet Bono and they did everything they could and more to make his wish come true.

I will be forever grateful to them and have begun to send off my letters of thanks to the many who played a part in granting my son's wish.

Before I post the pics, that will speak for themselves, I want to say that I was a little guarded in sharing this moment and these pics because it is my son but, I do feel that it is stories like this one that should be told. I didn't talk to Bono at all, this moment wasn't about me. The only thing I mentioned was the picture that Brandon drew for him. Bono remembered immediately and turned to Brandon and said "Wow... that was you? and then "You beat it! You beat this!" I began to cry then and Bono caught me off guard by pulling me into a hug and holding me. He kissed my forehead and kept his arm around me until the time where he picked up my little boy. I didn't expect that, I kept back and off to the side for most of this meeting and just cried while watching my son have this time with Bono.

My son was so excited when he saw Bono for the first time he was jumping up and down. To my surprise, even in that room of incredible people, the second Bono saw my son, he was all about Brandon. I will never forget the joy on my son's face as I stood back and watched his dream come true. I will never forget the love Bono showed my son.

And... I will never forget all the love everyone had shown my son when we came out of the building. Thank you all for that, thank you for understanding the wish of little boy.

Without further delay here are the pics (btw... I am grateful to the woman from the National Constitution Center who took my camera from me and took all of these beautiful pics. There were some pics taken by photographers from the Center and they took down my name and address to send them to us. They were incredible people and I will always remember what they did for my son)

brandonmeetingbono92707.jpg

Bonoputtinghisglassesonbrandon92707.jpg

brandonwearingBonosglasses92707.jpg

brandonmeetingbono92707me.jpg

brandonbonome92707.jpg

bonoholdingbrandon92707.jpg

brandonhuggingbono92707.jpg

ceallach67 said:
Hi all, I don't normally post over here at Interference as you can see by my low post count.

But after what happened to my son in Philly, a met a beautiful soul who asked if I would post this story and these pictures here at Interference. In the chaos of the moment, I didn't get a chance to ask her for her name, but I promised that I would post the story and pics from my son's meeting with Bono. So... if the person who approached me is reading this... this is for you and I am so sorry I didn't get a chance to talk to you more. It was crazy and hectic after we came out and I needed to get my little boy in a cab and get him home. It was very long and emotional day for him.

Okay... the story is that my little boy is a patient of Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, he has Leukemia and his wish was to meet Bono. He is currently in the off therapy stage of his treatment and we are waiting on a cured diagnosis. We have to wait at least another year and a half for that. We still go to monthly treatments for blood counts and overall check ups. But he is off the chemo treatments and he is doing well. He was diagnosed in Oct 2003, two weeks shy of his second Birthday. He took to the song Vertigo when it came out, he listened to the song constantly and it became a place for him that was a happy one. He took to Bono as a sort of source of happiness as well. Brandon took to Bono as I hero, I guess. I don't really know how to explain it, I was and am still amazed at my son and the love he has for Bono. I don't even think I realized how much until the night in Philly when he was granted his wish by the people of the National Constitution Center.

Anyhow... he drew a picture for Bono when his was just 4 that I was able to give to Bono February 2006 after his speech in D.C. Brandon was in remission then.

Enough back story.

As I said, the people at the National Constitution Center were made aware of my little boy's wish to meet Bono and they did everything they could and more to make his wish come true.

I will be forever grateful to them and have begun to send off my letters of thanks to the many who played a part in granting my son's wish.

Before I post the pics, that will speak for themselves, I want to say that I was a little guarded in sharing this moment and these pics because it is my son but, I do feel that it is stories like this one that should be told. I didn't talk to Bono at all, this moment wasn't about me. The only thing I mentioned was the picture that Brandon drew for him. Bono remembered immediately and turned to Brandon and said "Wow... that was you? and then "You beat it! You beat this!" I began to cry then and Bono caught me off guard by pulling me into a hug and holding me. He kissed my forehead and kept his arm around me until the time where he picked up my little boy. I didn't expect that, I kept back and off to the side for most of this meeting and just cried while watching my son have this time with Bono.

My son was so excited when he saw Bono for the first time he was jumping up and down. To my surprise, even in that room of incredible people, the second Bono saw my son, he was all about Brandon. I will never forget the joy on my son's face as I stood back and watched his dream come true. I will never forget the love Bono showed my son.

And... I will never forget all the love everyone had shown my son when we came out of the building. Thank you all for that, thank you for understanding the wish of little boy.

Without further delay here are the pics (btw... I am grateful to the woman from the National Constitution Center who took my camera from me and took all of these beautiful pics. There were some pics taken by photographers from the Center and they took down my name and address to send them to us. They were incredible people and I will always remember what they did for my son)

brandonmeetingbono92707.jpg

Bonoputtinghisglassesonbrandon92707.jpg

brandonwearingBonosglasses92707.jpg

brandonmeetingbono92707me.jpg

brandonbonome92707.jpg

bonoholdingbrandon92707.jpg

brandonhuggingbono92707.jpg

Hi,

I was with the other girls when you son came out of the building.
It was one of the highlights of my day. I had noticed you and your son on the line and I said to my husband awe look, Bonos little fan. When he came out of the building skipping and jumping my husband said to me now, don't start crying. When you had gone into the building someone mentioned that your son was ill.
I will always think of Brandon as part of that day. I am happy that he is on his way to being healthy. My son this summer had a scare and had to go see an oncologist. It turned out to be nothing but a scare. You must have strength beyone belief, because just one of the visits we had made, did me in for the day.

I truly think this is the best story ever. The picture with Brandon looking at Bono and Bono looking at him is priceless.

Thanks so much kafrun, U2Girl416 and Val!

JCOSTER: Thank you so much for sharing your memory of that night. I cried when I reaad the response you left for me at U2.com, too. It's very cool that you were there to see and share in this moment. I'm sorry to hear that you had a scare like you mention with your own child. I would not wish this sort of thing on anyone and I'm so happy to know that your child was fine.

I'm amazed at the amount of people who came up to me that night and since that were also there expressing such wonderful things for us.

That smilie is so cute!

I love the fact that you all have those smilies here. Don't have them at U2.com.

ooo... gotta try one... :heart: Love that heart! :D

kellyahern said:
ceallach67, thank you for sharing your story and I'm so glad that your son is doing better now :hug:.

Thank you!

Hey... nice name. Kelly is my name, too ;)

:hug:

ceallach67, thank you for sharing you and your son's very special moment with the rest of us. It brought a tear to my eye, but in the best possible way. I'm glad to hear that your son is doing better. :hug:

ceallach67, I'm so glad youre son was able to meet Bono. It really made me happy seeing him skipping across the street. He was so cute with his U2 shirt and everything.
Love the pictures!
oh and btw did you know the girls from london? I was talking to the one that was my age but I never got to find out if she met Bono after all.

-adge

Jamila where were you standing?

Kelly, I was out there when you two came out of the building too. Your son is so adorable and was absolutely radiant! I am so glad he is doing better. I too was very emotional when I heard the story and saw that your son got to meet Bono. The pictures where he's wearing Bono's glasses are so special. Keep us updated - I want to hear good news about your sone in a year and a half (Zoo Confessionals is probably the place). :hug:

Adge, my nose and forehead are in your avatar! :D

Brandon and Bono

Kelly,

Thanks for sharing Brandon's story and those wonderful pictures. He is an amazing, adorable little boy. I'm sure Bono will remember that encounter as much as Brandon will.

June

now THAT is the kind of story we want to hear!! a boy who has no ulterior motives, not like supposed #1 fans
:tsk:

he is sweet and Bono looks like he just loved him to death!!
what an amazing memory for him..and glad he is improving too!!

Thank you for sharing.
Eden

Kelly I too was one of the girls who was on the sidewalk that night. When your little boy came out so excited it truly melted my heart. Even commented to my friend that it's moments like this that mean so much. I am so happy that Brandon was able to meet Bono and have such a special moment with him :hug: May he continue to grow better :hug:

Btw those pictures are absolutely priceless! Everyone needs a good cry now and then. This story and the pictures provided that for me,thank you :hug: :)

Shannon

Varitek said:

Adge, my nose and forehead are in your avatar! :D

lol yeah! when i took it i didnt realizeu were taking a pic with him and he looked up and smiled :)
Did u see pattis pic its perfect of u and him!

Jamila said:

Thanks Allegra for mentioning me in this thread. I had no idea that you were going to this event.

I will definitely have to check out this video - didn't know that I was in it.

I hope that you had a good time. :bono: :heart: :heart: :hug:

then that must make you a non fan.....rude to EVERYONE!

Second, when Bono could finally find me in the crowd (if you were at the front of the crowd then you KNOW when my friend told him that I was there, he kept calling my name looking for me). My friend had to finally lead him through the crowd over to me at the back.

When we finally met once again, Bono grabbed my hand and never let go of it. We talked for several minutes about a project that I'm involved with with one of his associates - and I finally asked him for the first time in 25 years for an autograph (which I received).

I would have assumed that if Bono was "embarassed" then he either wouldn't have come over to talk with me as enthusiastically as he did or, at least, he wouldn't have reached out to hold my hands as quickly as he did.

OMG, I almost puked in my mouth!!! hahaha!!!! Bono searched for you?? He said you name but had no clue who you were! He repeated what your annoying friend kept shouting at him!

He came over enthusiastically!? He ran away from you!

That picture of Bono hugging Brandon is now my desktop background :reject:

It's things like these that make me immensely proud to be his fan.

:heart:

I wish Bono lives for a hundred years more, this world needs him to be around a long, long, long time....

Jamila said:
Val, it's amazing how people have different viewpoints of the same situation.

The people who were working the event that I said that too (about paying $50 for the tix - which was the truth) smiled and laughed with me so I don't see the problem with it.

This was the simple truth - most of us will never use our membership with the NCC because we only bought our membership to have a chance to get first dibs on tix for the event.

In effect, we all paid $50 to get two GA tix for the event.

Second, when Bono could finally find me in the crowd (if you were at the front of the crowd then you KNOW when my friend told him that I was there, he kept calling my name looking for me). My friend had to finally lead him through the crowd over to me at the back.

When we finally met once again, Bono grabbed my hand and never let go of it. We talked for several minutes about a project that I'm involved with with one of his associates - and I finally asked him for the first time in 25 years for an autograph (which I received).

I would have assumed that if Bono was "embarassed" then he either wouldn't have come over to talk with me as enthusiastically as he did or, at least, he wouldn't have reached out to hold my hands as quickly as he did.

I'm not here to tear down anyone else's experiences from last week. Neither am I willing to have others tear down mine. :eyebrow:

Let's just all appreciate that we got to be in this man's presence and try to do what he says: CoeXisT.

:bonodrum: :hi5:

OK, here we go.....I can finally get this all off my chest once and for all.....

OK, it is now confirmed! You are a psychotic moron........maybe delusional is more like it. I saw you get there and I saw you bully your way thru the crowd as if you were God. You were nasty to everyone there. A normal person, when showing up for an event, and not knowing where to go, would have kindly asked.....is this the line to get in? You, however, said "MOVE" and when I told you "NO" your response was...."Do you know who I am?" I know exactly what and who you are. You are someone who like to belittle people, to make yourself feel important. This is gross. I do not even know how you can get out of bed everyday. I am pretty sure that those organizations you claim to work for would do better without you....that is if we even believe anything you say you do. I mean it would seem as though you single handedly are wiping out poverty across the world! What has Bono been doing wrong??

What is the most appalling thing is what my friend Michelle overheard you say about a woman and her child because they got to go into the gala to meet Bono. Debbie, you have pure hate running through those veins. What has gone wrong in your life that you are so bitter and twisted?

Even in the event, you were blabbing as though you should have been on stage getting that medal instead of Bono. Bono has something that you will never have and that is HUMILITY!! If he even knew half of the things you do/say to people, I am sure he would be saddened. This is a man who does things out of pure love, with no regards for himself. You claim to do wonderful things but you do it to get a rush of power. Power over people who cannot help themselves at this time. People who need compassion, understanding and plain help! You are the devil on earth. I saw this with my own eyes. You tried to bully your way all night and thought that the sea would part for you. Well, did it? No, it did not. You were treated as you should have been treated by those who know who you are as well as those who luckily know nothing of you. If Bono knew the true Debbie, he would be sad and make sure you were not a part of anything with his name on it. SCARY!!

Now, lets move onto the after gala meet and greet. I was right near you, unfortunately again. Your mutual friend.....first off....ROFL! OMG!!! One would think that Bono would KNOW his supposed mutual friend. hahaha!!! If I called out to someone I know, they would respond with a greeting as if they KNEW me. Your mutual also psychotic friend tried to bully her way to the front of the line by pushing those who had waited just as long to see Bono. If either of you were so important you would have been in the gala or Bono's security for the night would have escorted you to see him. Instead, they had to keep you away from him! Anyway, this insane friend kept screaming, "Bono, Debbie is here you must meet Debbie." She went on to talk about all you do for those beneath you. Bono continued to talk to others and sign for them. Your lackey then continued to scream, Bono, you must meet Debbie, Debbie is here! To which Bono said, OK, where is Debbie, who is Debbie. I was right next to Debbie and she said nothing at first. When she tried to move up and the police officer told her to back it up...what did Debbie do.....it should not surprise anyone....Debbie told him NO and then continued to argue with him. The police were being very kind, they were trying to keep things in order. Debbie ruined it for everyone. She then started saying, I am Debbie, I am over here Bono. She again tried to bully her way up thru the crowd and about 3 men told her no way, they were waiting there just as long. Your friend still kept screaming at Bono. How fucking insane was this?? Who is this person that you used as a pawn so you could try to get everyone to think Bono called out your name?? Remember that word "pawn" Debbie?? You used it earlier on an innocent child! Get a life pawn girl, run....far away! Get out while you still have time! Please, why are you treating this woman as the second coming? Is your life that sad that you need to follow a moron?? Think "Jim Jones". Please do not drink the punch!

Now, lets get to Bono telling YOU specifically to continue your work with Africa. Do you think he asked you to start a personal crusade or something?? He said to you what he said to others that I overheard telling him the things they do. The big difference between you and them was that they understood what Bono meant. You took it as God giving you the 10 Commandments!

Please Debbie, show us your video. I saw the video plus I was there. It is not the whole video. It is only the part you would want people to see, that part that makes you feel like Bono was just dying to meet you. By the time he got to the end of the line to you and your lackey....he was ready to flee. You ruined it for everyone! I am sure you are glad for that. If you can't have him, no one else can? I certainly hope you never enter my city again. We may have some crazy people here but you take the cake. Please stay in your own city and harass them. God bless them. I pray for them. I pray for your family. I pray that your family gets the help for you that you need.

I am so sick and tired of you trying to take people down. If you are so important then how do you even have time to post. I guess my main question to you is.....why do you feel the need for everyone to know all you do? Most people do things not for glory. They do it out of true compassion for their fellow mankind. You talk about Martin Luther King Jr. That blessed amazing man is cringing in Heaven every time you take a stab at someone, every time you belittle someone, every time you attempt to do good and then act as though you should get a Nobel prize for it all. You are the type that hands a homeless man a meal and then makes him ashamed that he needed it. Makes him feel as though he owes you the world.

Why have you not posted in the Zoo yet?? We are all onto you Debbie. I know you are a waste of my time but you need to be put in your place. It is pretty evident that people are now on to the real Debbie. The Debbie that uses people, trashes people who try to do good in the world for the sake of others and not for themselves, who live by the words you quote often from MLK but yet you cannot abide by.

Please Debbie, I dare you to respond to me. I challenge you to challenge what I have said here. I know it is all true since I have the back up of almost 20 people who witnessed you in action. You can change what happened in your little mind but I think everyone here and at the Zoo knows what you really are..........and that MY FRIEND is pure hate.

Have a beautiful day.

Lisa

Val said:
Jamila, I have been quiet until now, but the truth is I saw you being rude to others from the beginning... while entering the area you made rude loud remarks to people like you paid $50 for your ticket which paid their salaries when most of the people were volunteers who helped the people find seats, to fans, to your friend making Bono's visit to his FANS all about you. I am a kind generous person, who usually doesn't make waves, but I was embarrased by your behavior in front of Bono. You need to do some soul searching. Maybe I've said too much.

There is another thing I would like to add. My friend Michelle was sitting about 10 people in line and when I approached her she stated that she was sitting near some Interference posters. I told her that I do not post there and then said nothing more. I did that becasue I do lurk here and got the impression that most people here liked Debbie and believed everything that she said.

I want to apologize to all of you here for not greeting you the way I should have. I just did not want to get into talking to anyone without knowing who they were. I hope that makes sense. I am sorry.

biff said:
Here's the video:

And here's a comment from a disgruntled Zootopian who was there:

"Oh that is a nice video.

That person screaming about Debbie is her mutual friend!! Apparently they could not wait for Bono to make his way down the line so they had to push thru when other fans were getting their turn and yell....DEBBIE IS OVER HERE!! BONO IT'S DEBBIE!!! Blah blah blah. Real impressive how they jumped off the curb and refused to follow the protocol requested by security and the police.

But of course she is so important. And is so close...that is why the "mutual friend" had to push thru the crowd screaming and explaining who they were.

Yep. Unlike Dan and his friends I posted about above....that performance was no class. It broke the rules for the meet and greet and when Bono could finally break away from her grasp...he ran to his car and all the other waiting fans lost their chance.

Thanks Debbie for your selfishness and ruining it for others who came just as far and waited just as long. If I had only known all your meetings were precipitated by hysterical screaming and pushiness....if I had only known "mutual friend" just means someone else who maybe met Bono before...well...I still would not behave like that."

And another, from Zootopia:

"you certainly got that right! I really love how she "told" me to "get out of her way" and when I told her no.....I was asked the most moronic question ever..... "Do you know who I am ???" Why yes, I do, you are NOBODY. At least we now know what all the jibberish talk about mututal friends is! Good lord, I am glad I do not have any of them!!!! It was the craziest sceen I ever saw! To actaully have someone scream and yell and carry on about all the good things their friend does for the world......while Bono is trying to talk to ALL of his fans.....ouch!"

Ouch, indeed. :|

The second quote you have here is from me. I saw it all as well as friends I was with who do not post anywhere. They could not believe their eyes!

I just wanted to say to ceallach67 Thank you so much for sharing with us your little boys story. The atmosphere is not normally so negative around here :uhoh:

Like babydoll said, it's stories like yours that make me proud to be a Bono fan. I wish all the best to you and your little boy. :hug:

Back
Top Bottom