Question for authors

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Since I tend to visualize my stories, I do much more description and narration than dialogue, although that changed a little with my latest; I'm trying to do more and more dialogue if it works. I usually don't like the way my mind makes my characters talk, but I let it happen anyways.

I like a story with a nice balance of dialogue and description. If it has too much description, I get lost. If it has too much dialogue, I get bored. And if dialogue is done right, it can be a thrilling experience! We, as humans, talk a lot. So dialogue is very important. We don't really go through day by day describing the reflection of the sunshine in a puddle. We may notice it, but we don't really process it. We do, however, talk. A lot. But like I said, I like a balance.

And a BETA is kind of like an editor. My BETA-er is WithoutSpeaking. She helps me to break up chapters, she also looks over my writing and makes sure my grammar is correct and I'm not missing any words. If I have a sentence that doesn't make sense she will fix it for me. She'll give me opinions on the story. She's a terrific BETA. And, judging on Adrift and Slowly Love, I REALLY, DESPERATELY, needed a BETA. My whole life I've had trouble reading/writing, probably have a tad bit of dyslexia. So writing is difficult for me. And she helps to clear my head. And she provides many awesome Edge pictures for inspiration! :D:hyper:

I say, if you have more than one idea, go for it. It doesn't hurt to work on more than one story. :sexywink:

I take advantage of this topic to askif you prefer fics with many details or if it doesn´t matter provided that the fic is interesting.
I mean if the fics have to be like a novel with many details or like a script, where there are more dialogues than description. Because my style is to make fan fics that are like scripts. I haven´t written any fic yet (to be posted in that forum, I´ve asked and I wasn´t allowed....), but in case I want some day.

Why aren't you allowed? :huh:

I like a story with a nice balance of dialogue and description. If it has too much description, I get lost. If it has too much dialogue, I get bored. And if dialogue is done right, it can be a thrilling experience! We, as humans, talk a lot. So dialogue is very important. We don't really go through day by day describing the reflection of the sunshine in a puddle. We may notice it, but we don't really process it. We do, however, talk. A lot. But like I said, I like a balance.

And a BETA is kind of like an editor. My BETA-er is WithoutSpeaking. She helps me to break up chapters, she also looks over my writing and makes sure my grammar is correct and I'm not missing any words. If I have a sentence that doesn't make sense she will fix it for me. She'll give me opinions on the story. She's a terrific BETA. And, judging on Adrift and Slowly Love, I REALLY, DESPERATELY, needed a BETA. My whole life I've had trouble reading/writing, probably have a tad bit of dyslexia. So writing is difficult for me. And she helps to clear my head. And she provides many awesome Edge pictures for inspiration! :D:hyper:

I say, if you have more than one idea, go for it. It doesn't hurt to work on more than one story. :sexywink:

You know, I kind of figured that was what a beta was. I didn't know if they served as a co-author on a small level. I know my grammar isn't as good as it used to be. And I cannot type for crap, so I transpose and make goofs all the time. My mind is faster than my fingers. My fics are like a literary colon cleanse. I suppse I could use someone to clean up the dribble.

We don't really go through day by day describing the reflection of the sunshine in a puddle. We may notice it, but we don't really process it.

I do! If I'm all alone and isolated and have no-one to talk to. Although technically it could be an internal monologue, so you win.

:giggle:

:lmao: Nice comparison there! And trust me, your grammar is A LOT better than mine. Mine is just...scary. Straight up scary. :lol: And a beta is not a co-author. I love withoutspeaking, but she is not allowed to write my story. LOL!!!!!!! She just gives me opinions.

Why aren't you allowed? :huh:
Because my stories (only two/three so far written) are about Bono falling in love with minors, incests situations and there are some deaths....
Don´t think that I hate Bono (?) or I consider him a pedophile :| ´cause it has nothing to do...But the thing is that I writte some stories like that to make them more interesting. My style tend to be dramatic (may be very) and with not happy endings or also happy but not totally.

Don´t kill me, please u.u

Also - I use Apple iWorks and is not awesome at editing.

Okay, going to bed. Snow day tomorrow, so I hope I have something to post before MW takes a possible backseat.

Because my stories (only two/three so far written) are about Bono falling in love with minors, incests situations and there are some deaths....
Don´t think that I hate Bono (?) or I consider him a pedophile :| ´cause it has nothing to do...But the thing is that I writte some stories like that to make them more interesting. My style tend to be dramatic (may be very) and with not happy endings or also happy but not totally.

Don´t kill me, please u.u

Oh, I see. Well, this is what you CAN do. Create a live journal and post your stories on there and then create a link in here, in the forums, to your stories. You're not breaking any rules and people are free to read what they want to read. If they don't like the direction you're going then they don't have to read it, know what I mean? Just a suggestion. :D

Also - I use Apple iWorks and is not awesome at editing.

Okay, going to bed. Snow day tomorrow, so I hope I have something to post before MW takes a possible backseat.

Microsoft isn't the best at editing, either. lol. And whee, I'm so excited! :hyper:

Oh, I see. Well, this is what you CAN do. Create a live journal and post your stories on there and then create a link in here, in the forums, to your stories. You're not breaking any rules and people are free to read what they want to read. If they don't like the direction you're going then they don't have to read it, know what I mean? Just a suggestion. :D
Ok, I´m gonna bear it in mind :)

Back
Top Bottom