Poll for Authors

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GraceRyan

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
I know a lot of us out there write - fan fic, blogs, or straight up fiction. This is my attempt at starting a conversation with the many authors out there, and hopefully get some new authors or bring some of the faves back into the fold.

1) When did you start writing?

2) When do you typically write? In the morning? At night? During lunch?

3) Current (or most current) project?

4) Mode of writing? Pen and paper? laptop? iPad?

5) Where do you write?

6) Where do you get inspiration?

Please feel free to add questions.

Great thread, Grace :)

I have been writing since high school, I was actually in some special creative writing classes, but they never taught me how to write NC-17 - lol. I haven't written anything for about 10 years until I got back into writing by trying my hand at U2 fanfic. I also quite enjoyed X-Files fanfic back when it was popular as well but never wrote any.

Usually at night, the later, the better. Sometimes on days off from work I might do a bit in the afternoon but that is rare.

I have several projects on the go (Stories For Boys, throwing ideas together for Lost Highway 2!) but this afternoon I am working on a standalone JT-Edge called "Shark"

Laptop. Microsoft Word.

5) Where do you write?
Always in the spare bedroom.

PHOTOS. Always my inspiration.

Here's a couple of questions I will add:

7) Do you prefer writing in first person or more of a narrative style? Have you ever tried the opposite?
I've written in both, but my favourite is inside Edge's head - first person.

8) Who is your favourite member of U2 to write and why?
No secret to anyone who reads my fic that I LOVE writing Edge. Since he has always been my favourite I find it really easy to get inside his head, and I always enjoy making him just a little bit of a bad boy, because it is so fun to imagine that he is... I've also written some Bono and I find him much more of a challenge, but I like to bring in a different perspective.

9) What is your favourite fanfic genre to write/read?
I like angst. I don't like fanfics that are too easy, where everything is sunshine and roses. It can turn out like that in the end if you so desire, but whatever you do, don't make it easy!

10) What is your favourite fanfic that you've written? Favourite fanfic(s) that others have written?
My baby will always be "Everything You Know Is Wrong", closely followed by "Lost Highway". As for other fics, I am quite enjoying Grace's "Please" right now, but my favourite at present is Love & Logic's "A Tender Trap", a fantasitc Edge fic...

Last edited:
Since I was 8. I made up a newspaper talking about the goings on of my house. And I wrote my first story about a dog named Snowball. My first 'adult' story in HS was a fictionalized telling of the 2 boys who started the protest leading to the Soweto Riots in South Africa. Can you feel U2's presence? Oh, I did a short story based Running to Stand Still.

Right now, anytime I can get. Typically at night when the child is in bed (my daughter too - heehee). Lately, I've been using my Droid on the train to hammer out ideas. Then I email it to myself and edit it.

2 fan fics - MW (no, it's not forgotten) and Please. I'll admit that Please is the favorite child right now. I used to have fiction, but I haven't started anything in a long time with that. Writing fan fic sort of got me back into writing.

Work computer. Shhhh. Apple Laptop and Droid.

5) Where do you write?
Anywhere I can. Train, couch, work

I have no idea how the idea comes, but photos and videos help flesh it out.

Here's a couple of questions I will add:

7) Do you prefer writing in first person or more of a narrative style? Have you ever tried the opposite?
I prefer third person. You can involve so many characters and layers and perspectives.

I like writing Bono right now. He's part child, bad boy and nice guy. He seems complex and simple at the same time depending on the situation. I like the fact that I've swayed readers who used to think he was a tool, to feel a little sorry for him.

I'm with the angst. I kind of like romance when it's done right. I know that part of this is living out some kind of fantasy, but I like it when it has real substance. More than just 'I went to concert and Bono fell in love with me'. I also like complexity and complications. My life is blissfully boring and free of infidelity and angst like that - I like to think about those relationships in a creative forum. What if you really loved 2 people? What if you were the other woman?

10) What is your favourite fanfic that you've written? Favourite fanfic(s) that others have written?
"Everything You Know Is Wrong", I'm sorry. The scene where Bono walks in on Edge and Ciara after Aislinn's left and realizes that he's pretty much lost her kills me! I still reread it.
Love & Logic's "Adrift" totally got me hot for Bono (even though it was Vertigo Bono). It made me want to try my hand at fanfic.
Blue's 'Dancing With the Devil' is picking up.
and An Cat Dubh broke my heart.

Thanks for the shout out. I'm hoping to get 10 up soon. I'm trying to cover the rest of the American tour. Some revelations coming. Definitely more angst. :sexywink:

Oh god. I'm not counting the terrible poems in 5th grade...8th grade, probably, or just before high school, was when I started writing long stories, though they were only a couple chapters, and I didn't do proper sentence structure at all. If anyone catches me doing that again, feel free to swat me with a newspaper.

I started writing actual long fiction about three years ago, when I was in Italy for a year. I wrote a short novel retelling the story of King Arthur :)

Usually around 2 pm (wow...pretty exact...) or 4, on weekdays, or around noon on weekends.

I try to do one at a time...Out of Control! The plot is really challenging in this one. An Cat Dubh seems like it must have been so easy, when I look back...

Though I'm thinking I'm going to sort of merge An Cat Dubh and a non-fanfic story together into one big different story, at some point...that'll take editing...

I use my laptop...and only my laptop. If I try on a different computer, I freak out

5) Where do you write?

In the dining room that's never used, on the edge of the table between the windows...

Sometimes, whatever U2 was going through at the era I've chosen...or just things floating around in my head. Dreams, previous stories, things I learn in school (i.e. people can protect themselves from gunshots by hiding in the bathtub; babies tend to look more like their fathers...), and this weird little core of angst I have that makes up plot because of my comparatively non-angsty life...

I'm also reading a creepy book right now for 'research' on character motivation...it's not helping much but it is interesting.

WithoutSpeaking's added questions:

For fanfiction, I feel kind of uncomfortable with first person because it makes me go 'what? this is me?' so third person/narrative definitely.

I've written some short stuff in first person that should never, ever see daylight, however.

Bono, at the moment. I'm actually not writing about him from his perspective very much in this story, though. For some reason I keep sticking with the original characters...

After Bono, Edge. Larry's kind of a pain in the butt to write about; I don't know enough about him!

The unexpected angsty stuff where the characters feel like people. Which is mostly what I've been reading (wow, this seems unanimous XD)...I've been trying to figure out for a while now sort of the point of stories I read or write, and what they need to get across, and usually there's some sort of conflict, some sort of discovery, and there's an unpredictable aspect that makes the characters different from standard ones.

Uh, I've only written 2...or really, 1 and a half...I'd say An Cat Dubh for how much easier it was to write and it being in 'Boy' era, and Out Of Control for the difficult and thus more exciting to write plot :)

My favorite fanfics I've read are...(not in any particular order)

secretly alone's "Stranger In A Strange Land" is probably my favorite, favorite, favorite. Since it's adorable, in my favorite time period, and the characters are so effortlessly awesome.

"Grace" by Serena Vox was quite interesting and unfortunately has probably come to a standstill :(

L&L and WithoutSpeaking's "Stories For Boys" is absolutely evilly addicting...

"Lost Highway"'s different character perspectives, imagery, and incredibly amusing plot helped me a lot with some of my writing...

^ I reread all of those...probably a bit much...

As for stories still in progress...

"Dancing With The Devil"'s got some amazing Bono explanation

And I'm really enjoying GraceRyan's "Please" for the character dynamics XD (and for being a fanfic with another band there too, just about when I was thinking I might do that...:giggle: mindreader!)

...wow. I really should get back to writing my essay.

Questions Katie would like to add:

11) What music do you listen to when writing?

(it varies for me, but usually it's from the 70s or 80s)

12) Does other writing ever inspire your writing? (books, other fanfic, etc...)

(Yep. A lot. It tends to only change things a little, though...)

I've been making up stories since I was born, in fact my first "word" was the name of a chracter in my head. I began actually writing when I was... I don't know, probably six years old, I remember having to ask how to spell "polka dot." I used to make little books out of paper and staple it together. When I was in 7th grade I began my first writing for fun in a long time after being inspired by a Thriving Ivory song.
When we do work on our laptops at school, I work on writing when it's over or sometimes behind the teacher's back (except not when the assignment is something important...). I take my writing home and usually write there in the afternoon. That's when I go on websites I'm not allowed to go on at school so I can get information I need.
My first fanfic, Dancing With The Devil. I'm also trying to work on a sci-fi story that I started a while ago, but admittedly only when I have NOTHING else to do.
My laptop. I also write ideas in a notebook.
5) Where do you write?
Like I said, at school, and at my desk at home.
Most of my original stories are inspired by music- songs that are really moving me at the moment and are crying for a story based around them. For my fanfic I was inspired by my favorite website.

Third person is my favorite to write. I have definitely tried first person, it's not so bad.
I haven't really been writing from any U2 member's perspective- I'm still trying things out I guess- but when I do it's from Bono's POV. Not just because he's the only character in my story where it would make sense, but also because he is such a complex person and I'm in love with him. :lol:

I don't really know all the genres, but I do like anything with romance. I'm a romantic person. :) Somtimes I read slash fiction, but it's a bit disturbing.
Well, I'm still in the process of writing my first! So I can't answer the first question yet. But as to my favorites that others have written, my two major favorites are The Fourth of July (shocking and suspenseful) and An Cat Dubh (brilliantly written, with some very memorable characters). I liked those two so much I copy-pasted the chapters onto individual Word documents so I could read them over again. :) Oh, but the fic that made me sign up on Interference is Mysterious Ways. I couldn't believe how good it was. And angsty. ;)

Whatever happens to be playing on my iPod at the moment. Of course that would mean all U2. :lol: Especially Zooropa...

Yes. I want to steal certain phrases from certain authors. Only the problem is that it would sound too close to the original author. I don't get inspired by plot points though. I also tend to recycle my own writing.

Wheww it's been awhile but I couldn't turn down this thread!

I remember as a child acting out parts from my favorite movies and that's when I knew that my imagination was endless. I began writing stories in the first grade. I would illustrate them and then read them to the class below me. I'd do this every month or so. I think my teachers kept the books because I can't find them anywhere.

I was writing poetry starting in my third grade year and after that it just took off. My first fan fiction was actually male/female based off the members of Linkin Park when I was in the eight grade and then I eventually went to Linkin Park slash.

Definitely at night. But when I started Adrift, it was any chance I got. But I much like nights a whole lot better. Everything is just so quiet and peaceful.

Shame on me. I've been putting off my fan fiction for a long time now. Work has me tied. But WithoutSpeaking has been motivating me into writing again so I'm currently writing a standalone to get my juices flowing again and then I'm off to hopefully finish A Tender Trap.

Like Katie said, if I'm not using my laptop, I really do freak out. But for my personal, non-fan fiction novels, if I get an idea, I'll write it on my guest checks at work and slip it into my pocket and then type it into the computer later that night. Once in awhile I like to write some poetry by hand but my fingers can keep up with my mind much easier on a keyboard.

5) Where do you write?

Usually in the living room in my recliner. Sometimes in my bed. It all depends.

Again, it depends. Sometimes they're based off dreams or just wishful thinking (there, I said it. Hehe.) Sometimes a song will inspire me, or a poem. Sometimes I use real-life experiences.

I love them both! I find myself writing more in first person and I really love first person but I feel as if I'm always repeating myself in first person. Third person, I feel, gives me more room for details. My favorite part about writing is describing how things look and that can sometimes be limited in first person.

Edge! Hands down! It used to be Bono but when I wrote my first Edge fic, I was won over instantly. He has more of a mystery to him and he's so intelligent, I love being in his head. Bono is somewhat too predicable for me. But other girls can write soooo well. ;)

You can never go wrong with angst. I like lots of drama, arguments, good sex scenes (yes, I said it. lol!). I also love the tender moments and those scenes that leave you on the edge of your seat (no pun intended) just itching for the next chapter!

A Tender Trap is my baby. It's one of those stories that I feel I will never be able to top. I've put a lot of blood, sweat and tears into it. As for others? (In no order.) I'm also really in love with Stories for Boys. I never thought I'd be able to write baby U2.

Everything You know is Wrong by WithoutSpeaking.
Lost Highway by WithoutSpeaking and 1Screamingangel (turned me into the devious Edge girl that I am now)
Shadows and Tall Trees by Secretly Alone
An Cat Dubh by AnCatKatie
Mysterious Ways by GraceRyan
and a U2 slash called Diamonds
I'm sure there are lots more that I can't remember. lol!

Also, I'm really behind on reading fan fiction. I'm more behind on reading than I am on writing. I apologize for that.:reject:

U2 of course. If I'm writing my own personal, non-fan fiction stuff, I listen to a lot of HIM and Jack Johnson. Depends on the genre.

Most defiantly! If I'm ever stuck, I'll go back and read some of my favorite stories to get back into motivation. I also do lots of research on a subject which will inspire me. I'll read John Keats or Lord Byron or other fan fiction. Books are a huge inspiration. I love to see how others use words to create beauty. In writing, the possibilities are endless!

I have only one question to add:

13) Why did you start writing?

Life can be so boring and routine. It's nice to be able to be in control of something and to go anywhere, meet anyone, have wonderful life changing conversations. In writing, you are the creator and it's so nice to be able to sit back and say to yourself, "wow, I did this. I'm proud of myself."

Yay. :applaud:

I hope this means we might see more fan fic on here.

L&L - I was wondering where you disappeared to!
And Blue, I'm flattered MW made you sign up here. :hug:

I'll answer the newer questions posed.

It depends where I'm writing. Most of my musical inspiration will come if I'm writing on the train. Sometimes a song might invoke a certain mood, and a scene might come from that. Cameron Crowe was my favorite director for a time because his use of music in a movie. If I'm at home, the TV is my background. And sometimes my husband's yammering.

I have to admit that some of the fanfic here inspired me to try my hand at it. Sometimes, a really bad book or story will inspire me.

I have only one question to add:

I have no idea why I started. It was and still is something I have to do. Even if no one ever reads it, I just need to do it. It's a nice break from the stress of the day, to escape into a world you created. Maybe it's the control freak in me. But writing is not really a choice, it's an extension of who I am.

Life can be so boring and routine.

Was that an Edge quote or just really darn close to it? :giggle: (Oh great, now he's in my head. 'Music can be so boring, so conservative sometimes...')

Answering the added question:

13. Why did you start writing?

Mostly I write when I'm not getting all the need for story out of me by reading...I write what I'm not reading XD but I started writing because it seemed like a cool idea at the time, if we're talking 5th grade when I was making bad rhyming poems...if we're talking 8th grade stories, because I'd just had the ideas swirling in my head for a while.

Oh, and revisiting the music question (#11) (I was quite pressed for time D:):

I tend to listen to stuff weirdly similar to 'Boy' when writing...very energetic and fast-paced. Like I was listening to the Ramones and the Runaways, Joan Jett and Generation X while writing An Cat Dubh, and for Out Of Control I've been listening to slightly more low-key stuff like the Replacements, Tom Petty, and Echo & the Bunnymen. And of course, U2 for everything :heart:

Sorry I disappeared for so long, Grace. :reject: Heh. A lot of stuff has been going on and I just couldn't find the energy to write or read all the wonderful fan fiction. I have A LOT of catching up to do. But I'm so glad to see that everyone is keeping with their stories! It's nice to know that the fan fiction is still going strong. :sexywink:

I've been meaning to reply to this for weeks... :reject: Better late than never!

I honestly can't remember starting to write stories; I know I had a pretty vivid imagination as a child, even before I remember writing a story for school when I was 12.

As for specifically writing U2 fanfic, I didn't start that until 2007 - I didn't know it existed until early 2007, and despite some mixed feelings, once I knew it was there I had to try it out for myself. And now I'm hooked...

Mostly at night, if only because that's about the only time I have the chance to write. Weekends too, especially if a brainstorming buddy is online too.

I'm currently stalled on a surprisingly non-supernatural semi-Adam-based story... and I forgot that I had another idea years ago that I haven't done much with yet. Oh, I have a couple of collaborations on the backburner too... :evil:

Mostly my PC, but if I had a laptop I'd use that. If an idea strikes me unawares, I'll use pen and paper, or even email myself from my phone.

5) Where do you write?

At home. A few times I've written sneaky bits from work, but mostly after everyone else had gone home. I wouldn't want someone to look over my shoulder and go "Why are you writing about Bono and Edge and werewolves?". *L*

I find brainstorming with someone else can be really good for finding ideas or working out where to take the story next. And sometimes random things just blurp out of my subconscious... For some reason I get lots of ideas when I'm in the shower, or even on the loo. I guess I don't have much else to do but think there... *L* :reject:

I've tried both - I prefer writing in the third person myself, it's easier to change which character's point of view I'm writing from, plus as someone else mentioned, it's good for being able to describe the surroundings and waxing a bit lyrical at times.

I wouldn't have guessed this given that I was an Adam girl, but I find Edge absolutely fascinating as a character to write. I've written two rather long stories (three if you count Howling Wind I and II as two... and I guess he was the main character in ATAP too) around him, and even when he's not the main character, he keeps popping up. *L*

Why... Hrm. The picture I have in my head is of this fairly quiet, reserved person with a large but understated intelligence, and you see hints of this bizarre, random awesome sense of humour, and also occasionally a temper (see: Gone on the Elevation DVD, and stories of him punching Bono in the face once)... I dunno, I just want to get inside his head and work out what's going on under the beanie. :lol:

I can't seem to stay away from supernatural/fantasy (or very silly sci-fi) sort of themes, although it shouldn't be surprising since that's mostly the sort of book that I like to read. I don't really write romance, but there are other ways of injecting lots of lovely angst into stories. :evil: :wink:

I'll read most genres, not so picky there. *L*

Both the Howling Wind stories (aka Edgewolf) are probably the ones I'd change least if I was to write them again... they almost seemed to write themselves at times. And ATAP was a huge amount of fun to write, although I can only claim half the credit for that one. ;)

The first stories I read in FF were Effanbee's Learning to Fly and Free Falling - they were superbly written and had a huge impact on me. I cried so hard... :reject: :sad:
I dunno if they're in the archives somewhere, and I know she hasn't posted here for years, but Effanbee seriously needs to publish a proper book (or several) one day.

It depends on my mood or what sort of scene I'm writing, but generally I've found Afro Celt Sound System, Russian Circles, Tool, Up-C Down-C etc. and other atmospheric/instrumental post-rock sort of music works well as a writing soundtrack (not that ACSS is post-rock, or always instrumental). Stuff that invokes a mood or atmosphere or something. Obviously a lot of U2 music fits that mould too.

Other writing definitely influences my own. If I'm reading something that has a distinctive sort of style, I have to be careful I don't start writing in a similar sort of style, especially if I was reading something else earlier in the story and my style keeps chopping and changing. *L* And of course, if I read something that I really like, I want to try it out for myself. ;)

To echo others, I don't see that I had much choice. :laugh: Ideas come out of somewhere and I'll bash at the words until they fit the idea that wants to come out. Part of it is escapism too - I enjoy the process of creating and populating a different world, and following the story and characters wherever they lead me. And I'll admit it - it feels good when someone else says they're enjoying something I've written. :)

Just found this... it is so years ago, but I will answer anyways...

When I was in 4th grade. I remember I didn't like a how a movie had ended and... well, I changed it a bit. Then I started writing fanfiction in Spanish when I was in 7th grade... and that was it! Here I am.

At work, when I have time. At home... after midnight. And at school when I'm bored.

I'm currently working on Innocent Experience (a U2 fic)... and a Sherlock fic. Don't blame me!

Laptop, pen and paper (when I'm at school), and iPhone.

5) Where do you write?

Anywhere I can,,, bus, home, work, school...

When listening to specific songs. When reading my favourite fanfic author's work. When I'm out at the bus stop. When I see a good movie.

I've only written in 3rd person. Past tense.

Bono

I'm secretly in love with him :D

Romance? Angst! Within that... I like good plots and non-ordinary stories, I hate the idea of "I bumped into Bono on the street and he fell in love with me". I like original female characters but not Mary Sue-like. My favourite so far is Gloria from MW. I like complexity.

I don't have a favourite fanfic that I have written. My favorite fanfics that other people have written are Mysterious Ways, Acrobat, Please by GraceRyan; and Anything at All by jeevey. Oh, Adrift was really cool. Love it too.

Depends on my mood.

Definitely.

I needed to get my ideas out... it was that or my head was going to explode

Last edited:
When did you start writing?
At school...for my friends.
When do you typically write? In the morning? At night? During lunch?
Any time. All the time. Although lately the inspiration has run away.
Current (or most current) project?
Haunting, (not in the ghostly sense but thought provoking), sad, a lost soul searching for a pathway to life. Does she find it? Yes. Does it cost anything? Yes.
Mode of writing? Pen and paper? laptop? iPad?
Keyboard every time. My writing is shite.
Where do you write?
At home but always in my head; any time, any place, any where.
Where do you get inspiration?
Real life.
Do you prefer writing in first person or more of a narrative style? Have you ever tried the opposite?
First person always. Narrative; yes. Imagine sitting in a cafe. You want to relate to the person with you your story. Something that has happened to you. Over a coffee/tea, cake, whatever. It comes out naturally, matter of factly, real. Identifiable.
Who is your favourite member of U2 to write and why?
Silly question cos for me it has to be that tease Bono.
What is your favourite fanfic genre to write/read?
I suppose I began with romance but there is so much more to life than romance and something not quite the norm is the best for me. Something almost paranormal but not quite. Something unusual. Something that makes the reader take it away and think about it; about the characters and what will happen to them.
What is your favourite fanfic that you've written? Favourite fanfic(s) that others have written?
Geez, that has to be Diary of the Downcast. Always will be my best fic. Didn't write it all that well back then; grammar and stuff but it will always remain my best attempt. That and So Bono Was In My Drawers. Heh, a little light hearted comedy always lifts the spirits.
What music do you listen to when writing?
Music can never be underestimated. It can either lift or sink a mood. Whatever mood I'm in at the time reflects in what music I listen to when I write. I usually find depressing music brilliant for creating atmosphere and depth.
Does other writing ever inspire your writing? (books, other fanfic, etc...)
Yes. Anne Rice's Interview with the vampire does and will always inspire me. Her and a lesser known writer called Freda Warrington. Geez, I think Freda outwrote Anne Rice. Best vampire fic I have ever read.
Why did you start writing?
I started writing as a means of getting my feelings out. Kind of an outpouring. Nowadays it's an escape. To become someone else; to live their lives; to think their thoughts, to be them. It's not about me any more. It's way more interesting than that. :sexywink:

When did you start writing?
At school...for my friends.
When do you typically write? In the morning? At night? During lunch?
Any time. All the time. Although lately the inspiration has run away.
Current (or most current) project?
Haunting, (not in the ghostly sense but thought provoking), sad, a lost soul searching for a pathway to life. Does she find it? Yes. Does it cost anything? Yes.
Mode of writing? Pen and paper? laptop? iPad?
Keyboard every time. My writing is shite.
Where do you write?
At home but always in my head; any time, any place, any where.
Where do you get inspiration?
Real life.
Do you prefer writing in first person or more of a narrative style? Have you ever tried the opposite?
First person always. Narrative; yes. Imagine sitting in a cafe. You want to relate to the person with you your story. Something that has happened to you. Over a coffee/tea, cake, whatever. It comes out naturally, matter of factly, real. Identifiable.
Who is your favourite member of U2 to write and why?
Silly question cos for me it has to be that tease Bono.
What is your favourite fanfic genre to write/read?
I suppose I began with romance but there is so much more to life than romance and something not quite the norm is the best for me. Something almost paranormal but not quite. Something unusual. Something that makes the reader take it away and think about it; about the characters and what will happen to them.
What is your favourite fanfic that you've written? Favourite fanfic(s) that others have written?
Geez, that has to be Diary of the Downcast. Always will be my best fic. Didn't write it all that well back then; grammar and stuff but it will always remain my best attempt. That and So Bono Was In My Drawers. Heh, a little light hearted comedy always lifts the spirits.
What music do you listen to when writing?
Music can never be underestimated. It can either lift or sink a mood. Whatever mood I'm in at the time reflects in what music I listen to when I write. I usually find depressing music brilliant for creating atmosphere and depth.
Does other writing ever inspire your writing? (books, other fanfic, etc...)
Yes. Anne Rice's Interview with the vampire does and will always inspire me. Her and a lesser known writer called Freda Warrington. Geez, I think Freda outwrote Anne Rice. Best vampire fic I have ever read.
Why did you start writing?
I started writing as a means of getting my feelings out. Kind of an outpouring. Nowadays it's an escape. To become someone else; to live their lives; to think their thoughts, to be them. It's not about me any more. It's way more interesting than that. :sexywink:

you're back?

Back
Top Bottom