Mysterious Ways - Chapter 1

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GraceRyan

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
Disclaimer: Not true. Not a lick of it. I only own the delusion.

Hope you like it. It's the first time I've penned anything creative in many, many months.

Chapter 1

Gloria settled back into the leather interior of the SUV as it wound towards the French coast. She flicked through her phone, fielding concerned emails from her other clients. They were very dismayed to find her schedule seized by the biggest rock band in the world, U2. What could she do when her brother Andrew called her in the middle of night to tell her Jane, his wife, had to have an emergency C-section? Their little girls were 2 months early and fighting for their lives. There was no way he could manage the press for U2’s European tour. He was needed in New York. Gloria immediately cleared her calendar and packed her bags. She was on the phone with Paul McGuinness within the hour of her conversation with her brother. Her other brother, Steven, would handle the Los Angeles office of their family run agency.

She sighed as actors fretted over their careers on her voicemail and email. The timing was abrupt, but not catastrophic. The big films of the summer had already been released. The big tours already had started. There was panic for no reason. Her summer had already been tossed into a tailspin once by her good friends in U2. She was busy working on the North American tour when Bono’s back halted all plans.

Gloria’s phone chimed. ‘So U2 has commandeered you again, Billy’. She smirked. Her on and currently off boyfriend Billy was not too pleased that she was joining the tour again. When she told him she leaving in 6 hours time and be gone until early October, He huffed and told her to be ‘careful’. She told him to call his girlfriend instead of browbeating her. His fears for the North American 360 tour were completely unfounded. This tour would be short and as uneventful as last fall.

****************************************************************************************************

Bono’s eyes squinted as he scrawled on a piece of paper. He sung lowly to himself. He wrestled with the lyrics of this new song. Larry was sprawled on the couch reading the current edition of Dublin Times. He glanced over his newspaper at the singer. This process sometimes took forever. Edge strummed his acoustic guitar. Thrum, thrum, thrim. He winced and twisted the key to tune her. He liked think of his guitar’s as female. In his hands, they made beautiful sounds.

Bono slid the paper with chicken scratch towards him. “What do you think?”

Edge could barely read it. “Em, I like the first ones better.”

He nodded. “I think you’re right. I’m forcing these.”

Adam entered the large rehearsal space dunking a tea bag repeatedly. “Are we ready?”

Bono twisted his lips. “I think so.”

Paul bustled into the space. Even for a day off, he was dressed in crisp linen trousers and polo. He was ready to take a business meeting at a moment’s notice. “Gather round , lads.” The four collected on the couches in the room. “There’s been a change of plans. Andrew’s wife had the babies yesterday and they are in intensive care.”

“How’s Andrew?” Bono asked.

“From what Gloria said, tired but good. Obviously he will not be handling the tour. She will be taking over in his absence,” Paul said.

“I thought she wasn’t able to do this leg,” Edge placed the guitar on the couch beside him.

“Well, this is an extreme circumstance,” Paul said. He looked at his watch. “She should be here any minute now.”

Larry felt the heat rise up from his chest to his face. He sat very still - trying to stave off any sense of emotion. When Bono went into surgery, Larry was filled with resentment. He had been looking forward to North American tour, and working with Gloria. He felt Adam’s eyes shift in his direction.

“Wow, that was quick,” Bono clucked. “I know she couldn’t stay away.” He smirked at Edge.

“I think she wanted to be prepared for Turin,” Paul glanced at his watch again. “And B, if she sees you over doing it, she has the authority. She’s the boss. You listen to her.”

Bono gave Paul an exaggerated shrug. “What? I’m doing my rehab. I’m not overdoing it.”

“The tour hasn’t begun yet. That’s when I’ll get worried,” Paul slipped out the door.

Bono turned his attention back to his lyrics. “Are you sure about these?”

Edge gathered up his guitar. “We’ll try them if you want.”

Larry walked over to the window and gazed out at blue sea below. A cool breeze pushed gauzy curtains around him. Why was he suddenly anxious? He didn’t feel this twisted when she was due to start in June. Granted, he had a few months to sort out his feelings. The fall tour had left him with more questions than answers. The few times he was alone with her, his mind went blank. He had been trying so hard with Ann, but the moment he saw Gloria - the years he had invested disappeared.

“You okay?” Adam asked lowly.

“Oh yeah...just tired. All this waiting around to do something. I think we should rehearse something we have a prayer of playing, not something new,” Larry shrugged casually.

“You lost color in your face back there,” Adam leaned against the windowpane.

Larry fixed his silver eyes on his old friend. “I’m fine.”

That signaled the end of that conversation. Adam knew that Larry would never offer up anything involuntarily. He wondered if he was reading into Larry’s reaction until he saw him almost go rigid as the sound of Gloria’s laugh echoed down the hall.

This. is. friggin'. awesome.
I love how you wrote the story from everybody's aspect, and how you made the little things you're writing about interesting. What I also like is that you're writing about the 360 tour! Very original!
Good job and I hope you'll be writing more.:heart::hyper:

Thanks. The other one is also current tour - similar but a supernatural twist. It is my goal to write 2 chapters at time. So, I hope to get another chapter out on this - then switch the other one. It depends - if I have flow going I won't interrupt it. It will also depend on encouragement from you all!

Ahaaa! "He liked to think of his guitars as female... in his hands they made beautiful sounds."

Of course I love THAT line!!!

Very good so far... off to read more!

Edge strummed his acoustic guitar. Thrum, thrum, thrim. He winced and twisted the key to tune her. He liked think of his guitar’s as female. In his hands, they made beautiful sounds" ....Fantastic!

He had been trying so hard with Ann, but the moment he saw Gloria - the years he had invested disappeared....Lovely.

Back
Top Bottom