(2-20-2008) U2 Hits the Studio in Dublin—Billboard*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Anu

Editor
Staff member
There ain't no place I'd rather be, baby won't you
U2 Hits the Studio in Dublin
Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.

U2 has hit the studio in Dublin to continue work on its next album with longtime collaborators Brian Eno and Daniel Lanois. "We're going to try and break new sonic ground and deliver a masterpiece," Lanois tells Billboard.com. "The sleeves are rolled up. Bono is all charged up with a lyrical angle."

As previously reported, U2, Eno and Lanois have spent time working on new material on three prior occasions in France and Morocco, and Lanois confirms the results are prolific.

"There's so much material," he says, referring to speculation that the sessions could yield two new albums. "When you get Eno and I and those guys in the room, before lunch there's like eight things."

"We've had some exciting beginnings via jam sessions," he continues. "Now we will pick our favorite beginnings and say, 'OK, that's a lovely springboard. Now what are we trying to say?' The springboards are sometimes melodic, sometimes riff-based, but I can assure you they are exciting."

There's no date yet for the project, which will be the follow-up to 2004's "How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb."

In other U2 news, the group has contributed to a new charity single, "The Ballad of Ronnie Drew," proceeds from which will benefit the cancer-stricken Irish artist of the same name. The track will be available in Ireland only as a download beginning Friday (Feb. 22) and week later on CD.

In addition to U2, "The Ballad of Ronnie Drew" features appearances by the Pogues' Shane MacGowan, the Frames' Glen Hansard, Sinead O'Connor, Andrea Corr, Damien Dempsey, Ronan Keating, Chris de Burgh, Gavin Friday and members of the Dubliners.

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003712235

~20 new songs in last 10 years - getting tired of waiting for the next "masterpiece"

I don't know about you guys, but I'm getting more grey hairs as I wait for U2 to release new albums. I'm sooooo tired of the re-releases (joshua tree remastered, Live DVDs of old concerts, U23D, greatest hits volume 7, Bono political appearances, etc).

Has U2 lost their ability to create magical songs at will (reference '80-'87 music)? Are they trying too hard, thinking too much? I don't get it. From 1998-2008 we've had only 2 new albums.

Believe me, I've been a huge fan for 20+ years, but I find myself rolling my eyes every time I hear new news about U2, because it's been anything but new. And what's up with U23D, are they kidding? We all have the Chicago and Milan DVDs, we've seen them probably more than once during the Vertigo tour, now we get to sit in some theatre and wear these ridiculous glasses and watch the same thing again with a bunch of thumb sucking little brats next to us?

Sorry, just getting impatient...

Take all the time you want boys. A well baked dish taste sooo much better when anticipation is taken to obnoxious high levels :lol:

My prediction: Christmas '08 or early spring '09.

I have to say im not realy surprised, going by past experience U2 seem to release an album and tour every 4 years so they are still on track in my expectations. im just starting to get realy excited now.Can't wait.

PLEASE STANDBY FOR TRANSMISSION:HTDANA//////////HOW TO DISMANTLE A NEW ALBUM!Just read U2 is scapping all the material they have been working on for the past year!As a fifth member of the band I would like to hear all of the scrapped material and vote to keep it//scrap it//or keep it but re-work it.What do all of the other fifth member's of the band out there think? Peace,the Rockmeister.

PLEASE STANDBY FOR TRANSMISSION:Have you heard it?And if it's all good,why did they scrap it!?Maybe I can purchase one of Edge's guitar's in the Music Rising auction and help them finish the album!Peace,R.M.

Back
Top Bottom