(12-30-2006) U2 may change musical direction on next album - Reuters*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
U2 may change musical direction on next album

NEW YORK (Billboard) - With its monster-selling Vertigo world tour complete, U2 may be ready to rock less, according to frontman Bono

"Our band has certainly reached the end of where we've been at for the last couple of albums," the newly dubbed honorary knight said during a BBC Radio interview earlier this week. "I want to see what else we can do with it, take it to the next level; I think that's what we've got to do."

Asked if that might mean a move away from rock 'n' roll, Bono replied, "We're gonna continue to be a band, but maybe the rock will have to go; maybe the rock has to get a lot harder. But whatever it is, it's not gonna stay where it is."

He said he's like U2 to explore compositions featuring just voice and acoustic guitar. "I would like to do a couple of tunes in that direction, with just a lot of space around the voice," he said. "I'd like to strip things down; that's something I'd be very interested in at the moment."

U2 is expected to get busy in the studio after the New Year, with an eye on releasing a new album before the end of 2007. Bono said casual fans were the target for the recently released compilation "U218 Singles," which includes two new songs.

"We've never been much of a singles band," he said. "But we did it because we have a very young audience coming through, and we wanted to, you know, just be very available for people who want to check us out, you know? We wanted to have something they could check us out very easy on."

Reuters/Billboard

© Reuters 2006. All Rights Reserved
http://today.reuters.com/news/artic...04341Z_01_N29256490_RTRIDST_0_MUSIC-U2-DC.XML

U2 haven't really been a rock band since AB. So to say that the "rock may have to go" to me is pointless, since it's been gone for at least 10 years.

Another thing to consider is that everything in this article is a quote from Bono, which historically has about a 0.000001% accuracy factor.

....And it is only a snippet from a half hour long interview with Jo Whiley on Christmas Day.

I really despise these "news" agencies that only cut and paste from interviews what they think will get people's attention.

WHATEVER direction U2 takes musically - I WILL FOLLOW like I have done for 25 years.

:bono: :heart: :heart: :hug:

Hmmm half of what he says sounds intriguing, but then stripped down? So we have no idea where they're going, which can be a very good thing, hopefully we actually get a new and exciting sound as well as actually getting a new album in the next year.

Let the reaction start flooding in. Get into that studio and start recording. I hope the rock doesnt disappear but get much harder. U2 havent truely been a rock band since War and I am sure they realize that. They call themselves a loud folk band and I would tend to agree with that.

If by less rock he means "ballads" like "Running To Stand Still" "Drowning Man" "Wake Up Dead Man" "Your Blue Room" then we're all in for a treat. If on the other hand they lean towards stuff like "Grace" then we're all in serious trouble. Let's hope for the best

The rock will get harder. No, it will go away.
The Edge is on fire -- or maybe it's Larry.
The next album will be acoustic: wait, no it won't because that wouldn't give Dallas anything to do.

It will be what it turns out to be. I hope it's unique, and keeps drawing new fans while satisfying the old ones.

"U2 is expected to get busy in the studio after the New Year, with an eye on releasing a new album before the end of 2007."

Please be true!

Fall 2008 in my opinion. Everyone should enjoy the year and not stress out. I am still in rehab from waiting for POP. You see this is what happened. I didnt have Internet back then and I saw an MTV news update by Kurt Loder saying that a new U2 album was coming out in Mid to late 1995. So I go out to the stores around August 1995 asking like a dork in Tower Records where is the U2 album. Everyone looks at me and says "What the hell are you talking about?". These people dont even know that Passengers was a quasi U2 album that would be in the shelves a few weeks later. Oh well, in late 1996 I finally discovered the internet in college and started reading Prairit U2 news and welcomed me to the world of U2 in the internet.

Later.

That whole article is so....contradicting. Are they gonna go more pop? No they will go more rock.... louder rock... Which one is it??? :madspit:
In any case-I am excited about the new record, even though...yeah, we probably have another 19 months before it's released.

".....But whatever it is, it's not gonna stay where it is."

Now this is what I'm happy to hear!

Let's face it though, whatever they do it's still going to sound like U2. They can't get away from that fact so even if they went to such an extreme as their 90s stuff, which probably won't happen, their gonna be the same band. I'm excited.

maybe they'll do a double album - one of acoustic based pop songs, one of loud dark hard rockin songs :drool:

or would that be too foo fighters?

i want them to explore the more atmospheric stuff like the MDH soundtrack...LOVED that sound. if they went that route I'd be in heaven.

really though I'll probably like anything they make. U2 haven't disappointed me yet.

The John Tree said:
You'd like to do a couple tunes with just acoustic guitar and voice?

Sure. We'll see how Larry and Adam feel about that.

There is/was an acoustic version of "Stuck in a Moment" on iTunes. Perhaps that's how they'll do it -- full band on the album, experimental versions on iTunes.

Larry and Adam get paid whether or not they work (remember everything is split five ways) so they might not mind sitting one or two out.

silvrlvr said:

There is/was an acoustic version of "Stuck in a Moment" on iTunes. Perhaps that's how they'll do it -- full band on the album, experimental versions on iTunes.

Larry and Adam get paid whether or not they work (remember everything is split five ways) so they might not mind sitting one or two out.

That sounds as if it was just a job for them to do to get some money.

But I think it's much more for them so the for sure would mind if there was a U2 album produced where they just sit by and watch or give cirticism.

I rather think it will be a mixed album where there are some acoustic songs, some rock, and some different.

Or they are experimenting in the beginning, and in mid-2007 they decide to change direction and produce a new, beautiful rock album ;)

*Sigh*..I wish Bill Graham was still alive...no, not THAT Bill Graham, but U2's Bill Graham....the guy who gave them intellectual musical cohesion all these yrs. After he died in the late 90's the band has never been able to come up with a cohesive album since...intellectually, that is.

But nevertheless, it's fun to watch Bono do his usual pre-album verbal jousting on expectations. My main concern at the moment is how the new, unwanted skyward prison of a recording studio might dampen their creativity. How, for examplw, will the band be able to interact with fans on recording days (Goodbye to the "bench") and how will they debut the album in Dublin like their custom? No more piping the tracks through a speaker to a breaqthless crowd waiting in the street outside....

oh, and Sue, is it actually "Bongolese"? (Brian Eno would say so...LOL)

Back
Top Bottom