(12-26-2005) Quit moaning about Bono, thank him - Sunday Independent*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
Quit moaning about Bono, thank him

BY Brendan O'Connor

NO DOUBT the usual cranks and begrudgers will be bitching about Bono over the Christmas. "Man of the Year?" the taxi-drivers will say, "Time fecking magazine? I'll give him Man of the Year. And Time magazine. It's far from it he was reared."

It's easy to have a pop at Bono. It's practically an instinctive reaction at this stage. "Oh, he might fool that crowd of Yanks at Time magazine and that George Bush fella, but he can't fool us. We knew him when he hadn't an arse in his trousers."

Frankly, that kind of thing reflects more on the people who say it than it does on Bono. Because, if you think about it, Bono hasn't actually done anything wrong. And it's not as if you could disagree with most of his causes. He's often compared to Jesus, in a negative kind of smart-arsey way. But, in fact, he is a bit of a Jesus - though in a good way.

Whatever your personal opinions about Jesus, it'd be hard to disagree with most of his messages: Don't kill people and be nice to the poor and so on. And Bono is pretty much the same. The message is inherently sound: Cure Aids, be nice to black people and eliminate poverty. You can't fault that kind of thing.

And in fairness, his heart seems to be in the right place. There are people who claim that he does it all as a big PR thing to sell even more records, but that doesn't really stack up. If anything, the preaching is probably putting people off the records.

But for the other members of the band it has a musical benefit. Larry Mullen broke ranks recently to say it was handy when Bono headed off out of the studio and let them get on with theirwork. He'd go off and meet George Bush or whatever and they'd get on with making the album, and when it was all nearly ready he would come back in and do his singing thing.

And it's not easy being some class of a living saint. In fact, if you listen to Bono properly he actually spends a lot of time trying to tell us that he's not a saint. In fact, he goes to great lengths to try and convince us that's he's only a human being - and a flawed one at that, a bit like the other Christ. He's always telling us what an eejit he is and how he lets people down and how he goes on the piss and doesn't have time for his friends and how he's insecure and hugely egomaniacal.

But still people think he goes around thinking he's a saint. But he doesn't. People are just projecting.

And the fact of the matter is that the rest of us haven't really got time to think about world peace and curing Aids and poverty and the environment and all that other stuff. Most of us have jobs and just need to try and look after our own little corner of the world.

And we could easily forget that all those big problems exist and we could sleepwalk our way into a situation where it all falls apart for future generations.

But Bono has the time and the money to be thinking about it all and doing something about it. And it kind of takes the pressure off us a bit. He's kind of like our nagging conscience. And of course he's the nagging conscience of the politicians as well. If he wasn't bugging them and embarrassing them they'd probably happily enough ignore the whole saving-the-world business as well.

The other thing to bear in mind is that he doesn't have to do all this stuff. He could happily sit around on his arse out in Florida, make one album every five years and be loaded.

But he's taken this job on himself. And what a job it is. He could have taken on something simple, like paying for an orphanage or a school or something. Instead, he decided to try and solve the insoluble, to do a job that is as wide as it is deep, a job that often seems to have no tangible results, and a job that he gets the complete piss taken out of himself for doing. It's not only impossible, it's thankless.

So, for the New Year, we should thank him. We should start ignoring the knee-jerk reaction to seeing him mugging around the world with the Nelson Mandelas and the George Bushes and all that. We should remind ourselves that he is doing a good thing.

And, not to be cliched about it, but he really is a great ambassador for this country. He'd actually make you proud to be Irish.

http://www.unison.ie/irish_independent/stories.php3?ca=9&si=1532799&issue_id=13463&eid=173167

Thanks Debbie!

This really was a great article, especially since it's author is a fellow Irishman and it was written and published in the Irish newspaper ON Christmas Day! Enjoy! :wink:

One of the BEST articles that I have ever seen written about Bono!

Anytime that anyone wants to criticize Bono, just pull out this article for them to read.

I think it'll make them think. ;)

Fantastic article :up: I think everyone who is like "oMg ShuT uP BoNerZ uR sO FuLl oRF uRsELF LOLZZzzzz1!!11" should read this.

great article. i always found it funny how we easily we criticize the humanitarians. yea thats productive.

It's pretty sad to hear people bitch and moan about those who use thier fame and fortune to benefit a far greater and rewarding cause.

They think that Bono's idea is simply to throw money and help where it's needed, not paying attention to where it's really going (corrupt politicians, etc). But look at the results - they speak for themselves.

There are benefits even for U2 and/or the guys but how's that different than the average Joe writing off far more more dollars than he donated to charity?

No one can blame them for doing more than most folks in thier position. I agree that no matter how hard one tries, someone undeserving will always find a way to get thier hands on much needed money and relief.

But why blame the philanthropist?

Because it's convenient, that's why.

Great article & right on target. :up: Bono wants to make life better for other human beings - that's a good thing & he should be commended for it. :yes:

I'd like to volunteer to start the thanking by personally giving him a heartfelt hug...so who can point me in his direction? :D

Good stuff.... there's too much Bono-bashing by far, these days, usually for silly reasons: ''he wears annoying sunglasses'', as one fool down the pub put it. Yes, but so what? I find B's good deeds somewhat more significant than the daftness of his sunglasses!

Jamila said:
One of the BEST articles that I have ever seen written about Bono!

Anytime that anyone wants to criticize Bono, just pull out this article for them to read.

I think it'll make them think. ;)

No. Sorry. It won't. Not if they have any sense or taste or judgement.

That indeed was excellent....just having been in Ireland within the last year he is not well appreciated in some areas....however, I believe this article by the lovely Ms. O'Connor may raise some awareness....and after all people are always not as apreciated in their hometown....even Jesus wasn't....Not that I am at all comparing Bono to Jesus....Susan:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom