(12-23-2004) U2 deny Stealing Their Album - contactmusic*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
U2 DENY STEALING THEIR NEW ALBUM

Irish rockers U2 have blasted conspiracy theories they arranged for their latest album to be stolen in France - but confess even the country's police suspected them.

The VERTIGO band were staying in the south of France when the eagerly awaited album HOW TO DISMANTLE AN ATOMIC BOMB was reportedly stolen, sparking fears it would surface on the internet before it hit record store shelves.

But cynics were quick to brand the incident a publicity stunt orchestrated by the band themselves, aimed at creating hype ahead of its release.

Singer BONO says, "It would look better on us in a way if we did plan it, but we didn't. I missed Bastille Night with my kids because I was held for four hours by the French police, trying to explain to them why I would not rob my own album!

"Fair play to them, everyone was guilty 'til proven innocent! They took it very seriously and I kept saying, 'Can I go now?' and they kept going, 'No.'"

http://www.contactmusic.com/new/xmlfeed.nsf/mndwebpages/u2 deny stealing their new album

Jacques Chirac, The French Prime Minister, was sitting in his office
wondering what kind of mischief he could perpetrate against the US when his telephone rang. "Hallo, Mr. Chirac!", a heavily accented voice said. "This is Paddy down at Harp Pub in County Sligo, Ireland. I am ringing to inform you that we are officially declaring war on you!" "Well, Paddy," Chirac replied, "This is indeed important news! How big is your army?" "Right now," said Paddy, after a moment's calculation, "there is meself, me, cousin Sean, me next door neighbor Seamus, and the entire dart team
from the pub. That makes eight!" Chirac paused. "I must tell you, Paddy, that I have one hundred thousand men in my army waiting to move on my command." "Begorra!" said Paddy. "I'll have to ring you back!" Sure enough, the next
day, Paddy called again. "Mr. Chirac, the war is still on. We have managed to get us some infantry equipment!" "And what equipment would that be, Paddy?" Chirac asked. "Well, we have two combines, a bulldozer, and Murphy's farm tractor." Chirac sighed, amused. "I must tell you, Paddy, that I have 6,000 tanks
and 5,000 armored personnel carriers. Also, I've increased my army to one hundred fifty-thousand since we last spoke." "Saints preserve us!" said Paddy. "I'll have to get back to you." Sure enough, Paddy rang again the next day. "Mr. Chirac, the war is still on!" We have managed to get ourselves airborne! We've modified Jackie McLaughlin's ultra-light with a couple of shotguns in the cockpit, and four boys from the Shamrock Pub have joined us as well!" Chirac was silent for a minute and then cleared his throat. "I must tell you, Paddy, that I have 100 bombers and 200 fighter planes. My military complex is surrounded by laser-guided, surface-to-air missile sites. And since we last spoke, I've increased my army to two hundred thousand!" "Jesus, Mary, and Joseph!", said Paddy, "I'll have to ring you back." Sure enough, Paddy called again the next day. "Top o' the mornin', Mr.
Chirac! I am sorry to tell you that we have had to call off the war."
"I'm sorry to hear that," said Chirac. "Why the sudden change of heart?" "Well," said Paddy, "we've all had a long chat over a bunch of pints, and decided there's no foo-kin way we can feed two hundred thousand prisoners...

I think the world of Bono, but at the same time, I almost pity the French police who had to keep him still for four hours on Bastille Day. It'd be like babysitting your neighbor's hyper four-year-old twins.

Renrut said:
wondering what kind of mischief he could perpetrate against the US when his telephone rang. "Hallo, Mr. Chirac!", a heavily accented voice said. "This is Paddy down at Harp Pub in County Sligo, Ireland. I am ringing to inform you that we are officially declaring war on you!" "Well, Paddy," Chirac replied, "This is indeed important news! How big is your army?" "Right now," said Paddy, after a moment's calculation, "there is meself, me, cousin Sean, me next door neighbor Seamus, and the entire dart team
from the pub. That makes eight!" Chirac paused. "I must tell you, Paddy, that I have one hundred thousand men in my army waiting to move on my command." "Begorra!" said Paddy. "I'll have to ring you back!" Sure enough, the next
day, Paddy called again. "Mr. Chirac, the war is still on. We have managed to get us some infantry equipment!" "And what equipment would that be, Paddy?" Chirac asked. "Well, we have two combines, a bulldozer, and Murphy's farm tractor." Chirac sighed, amused. "I must tell you, Paddy, that I have 6,000 tanks
and 5,000 armored personnel carriers. Also, I've increased my army to one hundred fifty-thousand since we last spoke." "Saints preserve us!" said Paddy. "I'll have to get back to you." Sure enough, Paddy rang again the next day. "Mr. Chirac, the war is still on!" We have managed to get ourselves airborne! We've modified Jackie McLaughlin's ultra-light with a couple of shotguns in the cockpit, and four boys from the Shamrock Pub have joined us as well!" Chirac was silent for a minute and then cleared his throat. "I must tell you, Paddy, that I have 100 bombers and 200 fighter planes. My military complex is surrounded by laser-guided, surface-to-air missile sites. And since we last spoke, I've increased my army to two hundred thousand!" "Jesus, Mary, and Joseph!", said Paddy, "I'll have to ring you back." Sure enough, Paddy called again the next day. "Top o' the mornin', Mr.
"I'm sorry to hear that," said Chirac. "Why the sudden change of heart?" "Well," said Paddy, "we've all had a long chat over a bunch of pints, and decided there's no foo-kin way we can feed two hundred thousand prisoners...

Tell me...how much time DO you have on your hands...?

Renrut said:

:lmao:

Anyway, I think it very well could have been them. I hate to be cynical toward the boys, but I think if they were to do it, they'd know exactly what to do and the consequences, and I think they decided it was worth it to promote the result of four years of hard work. I have no idea for sure, but I can see it happening, I mean it is Bono... :wink:

Originally posted by

Tell me...how much time DO you have on your hands...?

Actually posting that took about 15 seconds...
[Answer: just enough to post a reply...]

Love,

Turner:wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Needle_Chill said:
Anyway, I think it very well could have been them. I hate to be cynical toward the boys, but I think if they were to do it, they'd know exactly what to do and the consequences, and I think they decided it was worth it to promote the result of four years of hard work. I have no idea for sure, but I can see it happening, I mean it is Bono... :wink:

Filing a false police report is a crime (and that's exactly what this would be if they'd hidden their CD and reported it stolen). I really don't think they'd be willing to risk long prison sentances for their album, no matter how good it is.

Back
Top Bottom