(12-19-2006) Bono unhappy after meeting Democrats - Chicago Tribune* - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > 'Zine (archived) > U2 News
Click Here to Login

Old 12-19-2006, 05:29 PM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:25 AM
(12-19-2006) Bono unhappy after meeting Democrats - Chicago Tribune*

Bono unhappy after meeting Democrats

by Frank James

Last week, I blogged about Bono's visit to Capitol Hill to visit with incoming House Speaker-elect Nancy Pelosi and presumptive Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid.

Today comes a report from the New York Post that Bono was most unhappy with that meeting. Seems Congress's new leaders wouldn't commit to $1 billion in new AIDS funding he sought.

Bono may be upset but he isn't even a U.S. citizen and isn't likely to affect many votes in congressional districts across the country. So Pelosi and Reid aren't going to sweat this one.

In fact, this is the kind of publicity they'll take more of. It helps them fight off Republican charges that Democrats are big spenders.

By not making any promises to the world-famous Bono, Pelosi and Reid can claim to be deficit hawks.

In fact, it wouldn't be a surprise if the new congressional leaders hosted a series of these photo-ops with celebrities in which they left the stars unsatisfied by not promising new federal spending for the celebrities' pet causes. Disappointing a celebrity can be good politics.

http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/...nhappy_af.html

HelloAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 05:58 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 07:25 AM
How can that be good politics. Bono is trying to help millions of people and he is asking the American people and congress to help as many others around the world are doing!

Justin24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 06:14 PM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life

Our elected officials value what we value, we need to take the time to write letters, make phone calls and generally put the pressure on them to let them know that this is an important issue to us, that Americans don't want to stand by while thousands die.
dsmith2904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 06:23 PM   #4
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:25 AM
OK, that kind of make me really

First, don't use a celebrity for a photo op.

2nd, Bono and U2 have many fans that could sway voters.

and 3rdly, please don't call it a "pet cause" that is just adds insult to injury.

It is not his cause, it is his lifes work, mission and above a plea to anyone with a sense of conscience.
JCOSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 06:49 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

I sent e-mails to my local rep. senators, House speaker etc...
Justin24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 06:49 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Re: (12-19-2006) Bono unhappy after meeting Democrats - Chicago Tribune*

What crap, and here's the part they don't understand:

Quote:
Originally posted by HelloAngel

Bono may be upset but he isn't even a U.S. citizen and isn't likely to affect many votes in congressional districts across the country.
How backward can they be??
Old 12-19-2006, 06:56 PM   #7
The Fly

Take it with a grain of salt. The story originates with the New York Post...
clipper699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 07:15 PM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:25 AM
Even if it is true...and it would be unfortunate if it is, we have to remember there are a ton of problems that we need to take care of internally right here, right now.

Once we cut the pork internally then we can look outside again and throw $$$ at Africa and other parts of the world. This country's finances have gone to hell in the past 6 years. Think about it.
Reggie Thee Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 07:22 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Reggie Thee Dog
Even if it is true...and it would be unfortunate if it is, we have to remember there are a ton of problems that we need to take care of internally right here, right now.

Once we cut the pork internally then we can look outside again and throw $$$ at Africa and other parts of the world. This country's finances have gone to hell in the past 6 years. Think about it.
The Iraq war costs over $2 billion a WEEK, and Bono is asking for a committment for half of that for an entire continent.
ntalwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 08:53 PM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Reggie Thee Dog

My sister-in-law told us that she heard that if the money America spent the day after Thanksgiving ($9bil) went towards aid, we could eradicate malaria (I think it was....something important like that). That's just the money spent in ONE day on shit we don't even NEED.

Or just see ntalwar's post...
Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 10:51 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Congratulations everyone, you are Times Person of the Year.
Now spend your celebrity.
I've already sent out my letters (through ONE.com) and emailed everyone in my email book to do the same.
2 million people can make a difference.
sue4u2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 01:40 PM   #12
The Fly

Local Time: 02:25 PM
I'm sure that Pelosi's comments are being exaggerated a bit.

This country has a much bigger problem and, for the time being, I understand how Bono's cause could take a back seat. In addition, the focus for politicians right now is the election.

The dems are working hard to into the big leather chair in the west wing. The repubs are in the midst of damage control and struggling to figure out how to keep one of thier own in office.

I'm sure that if the situation was different, we'd have some more committments on the table for the B-man.
Lally1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 03:53 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Lally1011
This country has a much bigger problem and, for the time being, I understand how Bono's cause could take a back seat. In addition, the focus for politicians right now is the election.
Yes - more pressing issues exist like:
"AP: Pentagon wants $99.7B more for wars".
ntalwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 04:27 PM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Lally1011
But....we elect them based on how their platforms align with our priorities.

We can't call it "Bono's cause" b/c it defeats the entire purpose of him passing this issue off to the American public who've intentionally ignored it for so long. If we keep talking about it like it's Bono vs. the politicians, it just proves we really haven't taken ownership yet.
Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 08:18 PM   #15
Refugee

The Democrats SUCK!!! PERIOD!!!!!!!!
Mind you I'm not saying the Republicans are any better - in fact I may be wrong but if you were a poor citizen in the U.S. wouldn't you rather have the Democrats in power. Still, what the fuck is up with this...trying to become the fiscal conservatives. FUCK THEM. As I've said many times I really wish there were a strong third party in the states to kick all these bums (Dem and Rep) out!!! It's really about time don't you think???
Harry Vest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 08:46 PM   #16
War Child

And now for something completely different...

You mean while I was sunning, funning and swimming with sea turtles last week in Hawaii Bono was in my own backyard?!?!
westendgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 12:55 AM   #17
The Fly

Umm Hello, democrats do not support good causes. Didnt you see the 20/20 special on who gives the most to charities it was Conservative Republicans. They even went to San Fran the liberal capital of the US and they were the worst at giving. I am not saying Repubs are by any means perfect , but do not be brainwashed by the biased media that says dems are great they suck. Bush has given more to bono's cause than any dem even clinton.
READ MORE, BELIEVE LESS

THE MEDIA LIES
BOYO3221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 10:08 AM   #18
The Fly

Local Time: 08:25 AM
Politicians now there's a sorry lot!
ArrogantU2Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 10:43 AM   #19
Refugee

Local Time: 06:25 AM
Fist of all, as someone else mentioned, it's the NY Post, it's a TABLOID. It may not even be true.

I wish there was some way we could know if there was some truth to it. Either way, it's just a sign that we can't let up on communicating with our Rep or Senator any time soon.
oktobergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 10:59 AM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Location: If the moonlight caught you crying on Killiney Bay oh sing your song let your song be sung
Quote:
Originally posted by BOYO3221
Umm Hello, democrats do not support good causes. Didnt you see the 20/20 special on who gives the most to charities it was Conservative Republicans. They even went to San Fran the liberal capital of the US and they were the worst at giving. I am not saying Repubs are by any means perfect , but do not be brainwashed by the biased media that says dems are great they suck. Bush has given more to bono's cause than any dem even clinton.
READ MORE, BELIEVE LESS

THE MEDIA LIES
Let me make a point here, 20/20 airs on the most biased news network after FOX because they are owned by the DISNEY Corporation, who are HUGE contributors to the REP. Party Campaign. Look it up. Here is another kindly suggestion, maybe you should do some more reading before throwing generalities out there about an entire group of people "...Democrats do not support good causes" ... AHHH, Yes they do and so do the Republicans.
Can we please stop the divisive crap? That is part of the reason this country is in such a mess, people propelling the blue/red, me against you, my team against yours baloney. We are all Americans, one political party is not superiour to the other. It's we the people, remember, or did you skip that chapter in your history book?

Jeannieco is offline   Reply With Quote