(12-18-2005) Time names Bono, Bill and Melinda Gates Persons of Year - CNN*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
While I am happy the Gates got the recognition (they give a lot), I agree with Jamila that Bob Geldof should've gotten something, he practically started all of this! Congrats to Bono :drool:

Jamila said:
While Bill and Melinda Gates are very deserving people to share this award with Bono, I only wish that Bob Geldof would have been one of those people honored this year for his PIVOTAL work in Live8 and the MPH movement.

Couldn't agree more. I also have no doubt at all that Bono has personally and humbly conveyed to Geldof that very sentiment.

I just got a promotion at work this week, and strangely enough, I am more inclined to jump and dance around the room at Bono's recognition. It is certainly well deserved and perhaps one more validation towards convincing all the naysayers who are convinced he's simply in it for vanity reasons.

:heart: :bono: :heart:

PS -- Edge, Larry, and Adam deserve MAJOR KUDOS for everything they do to support Bono in the studio, on the stage, and in the media. Very few bands would function in such a way as to allow Bono the space and time needed to reach the heights he has in this "adventure." :hug: :edge: :adam: :larry: :hug:

beautiful!!!!

I've been casting my vote at the time magazine website about a dozen times every day, i really wanted Bono to make it, there couldn't be anyone more deserving.. in any aspect you look at it he should be the person of the year: politic, socila, cultural, economic, you name it!!
I was almost giving up, yesterday he was #3 already with 12%, the winners were the harry potter lady and mother nature.. then I went to vote today again, and i see his picture, along with bill gate's and his wife!!!! I should have knoun the votes didn't count b4:madspit:
Oh I was soo thrilled.. i called everybody i know: guess who's person of the year?? knowing me, they all said
:bono: even my 5 y/o nephiew!!!:lmao:

Oh today's gonna be a great day for Bono: Time magazine names him person of the year, and then tonight all his wonderful fans will surprise him at the concert with their thousands of thank you signs!!

He's a great man, and althought he doesn't do what he does for recognition, he certanly deserves it!!

congratulations bono!!! you've been my man of the year for the last 12 years:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

I was very happy when I saw the news this morning - a lot of people tend to write Bill Gates off as a selfish man (and ok, maybe he could give more because he has more money than anyone), but he really does do a lot and seems to genuinely care.

And obviously, it's fantastic that Bono got this recognition - I do hope he wins the Nobel Prize at some point in his life! :)

This is awesome! :D Can't wait to get my hands on a copy of the magazine.

Way to go Time for recognizing people who are truly wonderful, and doing their best to make a difference in this world.

Thanks to all for posting the complete articles. :applaud:

Thanks to Time for choosing so wisely :applaud:

and thanks to Bono - we're all so proud. Much :love:

We got to carry each other... carry each other...

How lovely!

And very interesting articles...thanks for posting those!

C'mon FinanceGuy...you *know* the person/s of the year always are well-known folks, people who are powerful doing big things. This isn't to diss doctors working in Iraq, or aid workers doing the vaccinations in Ethiopia, of course! In fact, the articles mention how healthcare is such an important issue indeed! That they are giving this award to people looking to eradicate health crises.
At first I was not nuts about seeing Bono wedged between Bill and Melinda..
But the articles make me feel better about it. I've had my issues with Bill and his predatory business practices (he's still getting sued for stuff in that regard, isn't he?! He's not exactly the model of equity and justice in business, he knows about 'bullying' in that arena, no?!), but kudos to him for acting sooner rather than later on bestowing his money and his smarts on these large complex problems.
And the articles give a nice insight into how Bono and the Gates have connected...just the scene it conjures of them 'going off' and 'getting quite jazz',lol!..serves to explain how they share a very grounded and thusly hope-producing perspective on big global problems, and to provide an example of how people who may not read the same magazines can get geeked about stuff together!

Bono is just so the life-force, isn't he?! Congrats and thanks to him...

And to Time for making a selection that might make a difference too...that sort of press for the efforts Bono and the Gates are making can only help bigtime!

and I second those who've said the rest of U2 are amazing to support him in his massive side-projects!

cheers all!

edit: I should correct myself on the issue of the person of the year always being 'famous'...didn't they name " the american soldier" or somesuch the 'person' of the year recently? anyway, cheers!

Last edited:
irishdove said:
While I am happy the Gates got the recognition (they give a lot), I agree with Jamila that Bob Geldof should've gotten something, he practically started all of this! Congrats to Bono :drool:

I think sometimes - and I really must emphasize the word "sometimes" - Geldof gets passed by for some of these awards is because of his attitude. He comes across far more over-bearing than the Gates or Bono. Bono has used his charm, wit and knowledge to win over people - Geldof tends to yell at them while beating them with a hammer. While people know Geldof is right, his approach isn't as tactful (I get this info., by the way, from many past articles).

Also, while Geldof helped push forward Live 8, Bono played a huge role in that as well (I'm sure Bono was instrumental in getting as many stars as they did perform). Bono's DATA and ONE compaign has also relied a lot on, well, Bono. Bono's fame has allowed people like Brad Pitt, George Clooney and Angelina Jolie (who already did a lot) to get far more involved. These events are all without Geldof. So IMO, Geldof doesn't really deserve this year - not nearly as much as Gates and Bono.

Lastly, do keep in mind that Geldof is heavily honored for the wonderful work he has done - including being knighted! So this one time, I think Geldof will let it slide. ;)

Besides, does one do these things to make the cover of Time or be knighted?

Thanks for the articles!!!

At 8 p.m. EST, CNN is repeating (I guess) the "CNN Presents" show that was on at 8 this morning. It's also on at 11 p.m. EST.

thanks so much for the articles and pictures everyone!!

and many thanks to TIME for choosing such wonderful people :up:

many congrats to Bono, he deserves it. :)

I can't wait until my TIME issue comes :hyper:

People say far to much,but this man can leave a link on most of our lives and next year on my arm it will read,rock star,humanitarian,irish

We're a celebrity-obsessed culture. We're more likely to read an article about what some anorexic Hollywood actress is wearing (or not wearing) than an article about African poverty.

Bono seems to understand this, and he uses his big spotlight to bring to light the massive problems of extreme poverty and disease around the world. Maybe he's not actually the guy who administers vaccinations or puts food into dying children's mouths, but without him, would the media devote as much attention to the problem?

Would any of us be wearing a white rubber band around our wrists?

Keep up the good work, Bono!:up:

Bono deserves it more than most...

Good decent working class bloke who deserves all the fame and fortune he enjoys.

He could just live a life of luxury and not give a toss about the thousands of pointless and preventable deaths happening around the world.....

....but he does truly care.

And he should serve as an inspiration for us all......for both his genuine desire to change the world and his working class roots...

Wow. This is just awesome. Congrats to Bono, Bill and Melinda. Hopefully their example will inspire even more people to do their part to make a difference in the world. It's doing just that for me.

I feel it' a good decision on the part of the magazine, and I think it's done in an appropriate year, with the ONE compaign going so strong and essentially having him in america for 7 months out of the year championing the cause.

I also feel that the gates' philanthropy is overlooked because so many people dont like microsoft, or resent the wealth he's been able to accumulate.

With all this publicity surrounding Bono, I think that band that he's in might also benifit from it. Who knows maybe they'll be able to put out a cd on a major label or something.

Bono's Doll said:
Me too--I went to 3 stores yesterday & none had--the time on the shelf showed a date of Dec 19. Help please.

First time i checked it said feb 02 -06 now it says dec 26, which makes much more sence.
they publish these things online alot sooner than they print them... that happened to me with the Rolling stone magazine.. i looked for it for weeks!

Actually.. bono's man of the year on Q MAGAZINE TOO,http://www.q4music.com/nav?page=q4music

I went out looking for a copy last night every where.. they don't have it yet.. they still have the dec copy with the foo fighters on the cover

so i guess we just gotta be patient and wait
:rant: :rant:

Jamila said:
This award has been long overdue for Bono and I'm overjoyed that it has finally arrived.

CONGRATULATIONS and THANK YOU, BONO for all that you are and for all that you do in our world.

It is a blessing to have you amongst us. May we learn to better follow your example of co-existence, tolerance and your willingness to sacrifice your personal time to make this world a more just place for the world's poorest people.

While Bill and Melinda Gates are very deserving people to share this award with Bono, I only wish that Bob Geldof would have been one of those people honored this year for his PIVOTAL work in Live8 and the MPH movement.

EXCELLENT NEWS! :dancing: :bow: :bono:

I absolutely think this is well articulated and my feelings exactly.......Susan

I found my copy at a Walgreen Drug...Guess its been a while since i bought one, I was surprised to find out the price is up to $5! Anyway the articles were very well written. I wasn't surprised at anything I read about Bono, but did learn alot about the Gateses. It sounded like Bill is rather tongue tied and uncomfortable making the one-on-one with the sick and the poor, thankfully his wife's strengths take up where his leave off.

I picked up my copy at the airport in Portland and read it on the plane Tuesday 12/20. Excellent article. I am so happy this recognition was awarded to Bono and Bill & Melinda Gates. They give so much of their time and money to so many foundations and countries. Very good article.

Back
Top Bottom