(12-18-2004) U2 fans demand Ottawa concert date - Jam!*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
U2 fans demand Ottawa concert date

By ANN MARIE McQUEEN -- Ottawa Sun

OTTAWA - All local U2 fans want for Christmas is an Ottawa concert date, but it looks like 2005 might just prove to be their 20th anniversary of disappointment.

Ever since a stellar show at the Ottawa Civic Centre on March 30, 1985, fans have watched the super group pass the capital by, tour after tour.

This week radio station 93.9 BOB FM started an online petition pleading with the popular rockers to make a long-awaited return appearance during their just-announced How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb tour.

"It's been about 20 years since you rocked our town, and we think it's about time you put us on your tour map!" the radio station asks.

Fans at the last U2 show recall Bono losing his voice during an encore rendition of Pride, apologizing profusely and then turning his mike to the audience while pleading for their help to finish.

Before that, Barrymore's bookers took a chance on the then-relative unknowns by booking them to play for $500 and a large cut of the door in 1981.

Corel Centre management is doing its best to get U2. But vice-president and executive director Tom Conroy, who met with U2 tour promoters on the issue in Toronto last month, says frankly it doesn't look good.

The problem, says Conroy, is not a fear the band won't sell out. Look at Bruce Springsteen, he says, who sold out 19,000 seats on Good Friday 2003.

"They'd sell out Yellowknife," said Conroy. "It's getting a date."

On Tuesday, U2 announced a 10-month world tour of 115 shows kicking off next spring in Florida. The tour moves to Europe in June and on to North America by fall. Everyone on the continent wants their business, says Conroy, and while the Corel Centre will hold dates in case Ottawa happens to get lucky, over the past two decades the band has repeatedly passed on such arenas to play giant stadiums in Montreal, Toronto and Vancouver.

Prime Minister Paul Martin has been more occupied with his trip to Libya than on trying to persuade his pal Bono to give a concert here, PMO spokesman Marc Roy jokingly said yesterday. The singer dropped by Ottawa last spring to give Martin a boost and praise his record on fighting AIDS and poverty in Africa.

"I don't know what he wrote in his Christmas cards," said Roy. "But if it does pertain to that, I'll let you know."

http://jam.canoe.ca/Music/2004/12/18/787817.html

Yeah, I hope they can fix it so that there is a gig in Ottawa. It's the capital of Canada, with many fans there, so I hope they get it.

i hope so too.

but realistically speaking, a city this size probably doesn't warrant a date in relation to all the other cities there. they could play 10 shows between montreal and toronto and not satisfy the demand.

I live in the Ottawa-Gatineau area! Believe me, they would sell out that show at corel center!

But I understand that they can,t possibly stop everywhere there is a 1 million population + in the world (specially when in the middle of Montreal and Toronto).

therefore I am not keeping my hopes up and never assumed otherwise before reading this article!

Anyways, even if they do come to ottawa, I will also be in Montreal the next day! :)

It would be a dream come true to have U2 come to my hometown. Ottawa's a great place for a concert, c'mon guys, let's see you there next spring so I can camp out to get right infront of the stage!!! :yes:

That's a load of crock from Ottawa promoters about not being able to get a date. The Corel Centre, ten minutes from my home, is sitting empty night after night. With the continuing NHL hockey lockout, there should be abolutely no problem scheduling a date. Ottawa, while a smaller market than Toronto or Montreal, has hosted some other big-name bands as well, like Metallica and the Beastie Boys. There is no good reason that Ottawa promoters should not be able to draw the world's greatest band to Canada's capital (especially in light of Bono's and the Canadian PM's friendship!)

Cheers,

PS. With respect to "smaller markets"...they played Edmonton and Winnipeg on the Popmart tour which are smaller than Ottawa.... and they played Hamilton last time which is also smaller than Ottawa!

LeafsNation said:
That's a load of crock from Ottawa promoters about not being able to get a date. The Corel Centre, ten minutes from my home, is sitting empty night after night.

It has nothing to do with the Corel Centre, but getting a "date" out of U2 - that is, them finding a day to fit Ottawa into the tour schedule.

My feeling is, it won't happen, but I'd like it too. Shorter drive there than to Montreal for me.

Back
Top Bottom