(12-13-2005) Bono Dines With Jesse Helms -- AP*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
[SIMG]http://us.news3.yimg.com/us.i2.yimg.com/p/ap/20051213/capt.nyet11212131759.people_bono_helms_nyet112.jpg?x=380&y=284&sig=nnMEM8DBNzvA6n0zyKAWGQ--[/SIMG]
Bono Dines With Jesse Helms

(AP) Before Irish rockers U2 opened to a raucous crowd of 17,000 at this city's new downtown arena, lead singer Bono had dinner with a political confidant former North Carolina Senator Jesse Helms.

"He (Bono) called us a couple of weeks ago and said he wanted to see his old friend the senator," said John Dodd, president of the Jesse Helms Center, who accompanied Helms and other family members to Monday's meeting.

Since they were introduced several years ago, the archconservative Republican known as "Senator No" and Bono have become unlikely allies in the fight against the AIDS epidemic in Africa.

Helms, who is 84 and suffers from a number of serious health problems, arrived backstage before the show and was joined by Bono for a casual meal. On the menu: grilled chicken, roast beef and salmon.

"It was nothing fancy," Dodd said. "They ate in the cafeteria with the roadies and the rest of the crew."

The two men talked for a few minutes about their work and what they have been able to accomplish and what needs to still be done, Dodd said. Bono briefed the senator on DATA — or Debt, AIDS, Trade in Africa — a nonprofit organization he helped found in 2002 with other activists to increase awareness of the crises in Africa.

"Bono gives the senator a great deal of credit for getting the ball rolling and giving (President George W.) Bush the cover to do even more," Dodd said.

capt.nyet11212131759.people_bono_helms_nyet112.jpg

Just proof what compromise and talking to someone on a positive level can do!!! I personally think it is awesome...hurts my liberal heart as well

While I agree with Diane and ArrogantU2Fan on politics, I must say that if anyone ever doubted Bono's EXTRAORDINARY SPIRIT and his ABILITY TO RE-FORM HEARTS, this story should put an end to those doubts.:wink:

What Bono was able to do with Jesse Helms is truly the most amazing transformation that I have ever seen!

Gotta love Bono - :angel:

Diane L said:
My two favorite dream men, posing with a nightmare of a senator (although I'll give him credit for reversing his stand on AIDS relief)...my poor bleeding liberal heart can't take it!!!!

So, Diane, I suppose it wouldn't help to say rumor has it Helms also went to the U2 show?

And may I remind you Bono was the one who got Helms to reverse his stand on AIDS? Hmmm? Feeling better now, my friend?

My work here is done. :wink:

Wow, there sure is a lot of hate here!

It's sad to see some u2 fans criticize an old man in a wheel chair.
I looked at the picture and my first thought was, "cool Bono and Helms are hanging out!" Not, "that evil bastard, how dare he share a picture with Bono". Guess U2 have bigger hearts and more of an open mind then some of their fans.

For the record I'm not into politics and don't belong to any party.
I try to think with an open mind and not see everything with an "R" or "D" attached to it.

Now excuse me while I jump off the soap box...

This "old man in a wheelchair" once said on the floor of the US Senate that gay and/or black people deserved AIDS. That's a fact. There's a hell of a lot more hate sitting on that wheelchair than there is in this forum.

So for some people the caption would be "I have held the hand of the devil..."

But I guess Bono's bigger than politics. Good for him.

As my pastor likes to say, "If you change what a person cares about, you change the person."

Back
Top Bottom