(12-13-2004) Rock Hall of Fame picks U2, Pretenders - ONN*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
Rock Hall of Fame picks U2, Pretenders, O'Jays, Percy Sledge and Buddy Guy

NEW YORK U-2 and four other musical legends will be the latest acts to join the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

The foundation today announced U-2, the R-and-B group the O'Jays, the Pretenders, soul singer Percy Sledge and blues guitarist Buddy Guy will be inducted in the March ceremony.

The performers were up against tough competition. They beat out late country singer Conway Twitty, the J. Geils (GEYE'-els) band and rap group Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five.

Copyright 2004 Associated Press.

http://www.onnnews.com/Global/story.asp?S=2683472

Yay!
Of course they want it! They're just trying to be modest by saying they don't. If they didn't want it, they wouldn't have agreed to do that huge exhibit last year with the Rock Hall.
Now, who's gonna do the induction speech?:hmm:

U2democrat said:
:hmm: i wonder if the boys are worried about this, they had been saying they didn't want it................yet.

Yes they did say that. The week that HTDAAB was released, there was an article in USA Today about them saying they were not ready for this. Adam said that they were too young and Bono said that "We tried very hard to get out of it". He felt that others deserved it before them.

No doubt that they'd make it-congrats to them! :applaud:! I know they said they didn't want it, but it's still an honor anyway, and I'm sure they appreciate it very much.

It will be interesting to see who inducts them. I'm very curious.

Once again, congratulations, U2! You've certainly earned this :yes:.

Whee, now I'll have two of my favorite bands in the Hall-first Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, and now these guys :up: :D.

Angela

I knew that U2 were going to make it to TRRHOF. I just didn't think it would be right now. They are an amazing band reaching all of music has to offer. From blues, country, gospel, techno etc..... they are a very diverse band in our time. I am extemely elated for them and they definently deserve it. I heard a couple years back that they were going to be inducted in 2010 but it is sooner than i thought. I have to be there in Cleveland to watch them and be there to experience it actually happening. That is a dream but it sure sounds wonderful. Congrats guys! May there be more music to come. Peace :wink: :wink: Peace on Earth

Last edited:
Got this email today:
full article:

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/041213/323/f8gz9.html

The inductees will be honoured at a March 14 ceremony at New York's Waldorf Astoria hotel, and if U2 show up, it will only be reluctantly.

The four Dublin musicians, who met in high school and have been making music since the late 1970s, have said they feel the honour is premature as they are still recording.

The band's 14th album "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb", was released in November and blasted to the top of the US music charts, topping the Billboard 200 list with some 840,000 copies sold in its first week.

"We've got another 25 years," U2 drummer Larry Mullen, 43, told USA Today in November. "They need to change the rules. We're still creative and still out there competing on every level. It would be great to get this when we're 75 and we can bring the grandkids along."

"We're definitely too young," said U2 bassist Adam Clayton, 44.

"We tried very hard to get out of it," added U2 frontman Bono, also 44.

"Our respect for the people on that (selection) committee is the only reason we'd turn up. Others deserve it before us. We are humbled by the support for us and the esteemed company, but this is no time to look back."
You know, I can understand their point, I supppose, but at least we can enjoy their performance. :hyper:
Poor Babies, being made to accept this honor :( :wink:
(under duress, of course. heehee).

YAY, guys!!! :applaud: {i can definatly unnderstand why they'd like to be honoured later! Heck, Springsteen is still rocking out fantastically at ? 54? or so.

Powers willing, i know where I'll be March 14, 05! :hyper: ! !4 is one of my lucky numbers! And it's a week before my B-D!

:ohmy: Aayiieee, you gave me a start, mystic- cause I know that the Ceremony has [almost?] always been held at the Waldorf! Two years or 3 ago I sailed and waited around the Waldorf to see if i could catch -- :lol: i don't remeber if it was an inductee, or some one who would be inducting the inductee. But i didn't see, so that's probably why I;ve forgotten!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom